Speculation: Tavares to Toronto.... eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Oh not this again (i.e. any Greater Toronto Area born superstar is bound to come back to his hometown and play for the Leafs)!

Of course, Toronto now has quite a few blue chippers in their system, but I doubt they become a contender within a year or two to make it enticing enough for JT.

Tavares will have the choice of joining any team he sees fit, and I think he would want to join a contender (Stamkos chose to remain with one). He will get paid regardless of what team he signs up with.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't understand it either. The tweets aren't properly linked. Strachan is retired according to his Twitter bio, and he isn't a recognized source for either the Leafs or Islanders.

This whole thread is literally people *****ing about having to hear about Tavares to Toronto rumours.

but atleast this idea is POTENTIALLY doable... many threads in the rumors board are so far fetched it's completely absurd, and they go on forever and ever... who is Strachan anyways? his tweets come up on a main NHL rumors website I always look at

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
My thought is that he isn't a UFA until 2018. Are we seriously going to speculate on this for the next 2 years (or until the Islanders re-sign him)?

#summerforahockeyfan

seeing as the Stamkos dream was going on for well over a year, whats two years for the Tavares dream? Leafs fans are gonna do what Leafs fans do....

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
How are the Leafs going to afford Tavares after they sign Bishop,Price,Burns,whoever else I can't think of right now?

I swear sometimes these reporters just forget all about the salary cap.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Will Islanders fans turn on Tavares and call him washed up trash until the day he inevitably re-signs with them?

Nobody called Stamkos washed up. Just said that he wasn't worth the amount of money being tossed around by some media sources. Which is true. He's not a 10 mil dollar player. He's worth 8.5 though. Especially if he can keep his goal scoring up.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Right sure just like the Leaf fans definitely thought that Stamkos was coming to Toronto, Garth Snow has the money to lock up John Tavares long term. The salary cap is becoming stagnant here how is Lou going to be able to afford to give JT say $12 million and then in a few years give Matthews the same plus give big money to Nylander and Marner down the road to lock up your core something would've to give..

Snow is on record that he'll throw vault at him Nov. 1. Toronto needs to develop its own players and focus on that -- we'll they ever learn this.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
6de35c220d7591af57b07dd93c3b4243.jpg

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No.

The media is looking for another thing to drive viewers for another couple years.

I didn't really want Stamkos because of his age, I certainly don't want an even older JT.

He will likely finish his career with the Islanders.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
seeing as the Stamkos dream was going on for well over a year, whats two years for the Tavares dream? Leafs fans are gonna do what Leafs fans do....

The very day Stamkos signed his RFA deal, a significant portion of the official thread was posts predicting his return to Toronto in 2016. It never freaking ends.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Sorry I cant get the actual tweets on here for some reason... excuse my copy and paste...

Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99
Alan Strachan

I believe they'll get him.

Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99
Alan Strachan

I know the Leafs' plan is to target Tavares. This isn't sudoku here, trying to figure out an ending. It's a plan.

thoughts??

Leaf's plan ? Maybe it their back up plan on missing out on Stamkos and then their back up back up plan will be McDavid .

Poor Leafs fans have to suffer because of idiots in the media posting such nonsense . Problem with this is the average fan does not read so Leafs fans take the blame .

Myself I think the leafs current management group is smarter then the idiots in the media that start these postings therefore I see them sticking to their plan of a complete rebuild threw the draft

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Every NHL star: "So long as I string Toronto along, I will get what I want from my team"

Yeah, when JT was due his 2nd pro contract, he really held the isles over a barrel with that 6 yr deal, averaging that whopping $5.5m per:sarcasm:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Oh please...Leaf fans just quit...you embarrassed yourself with Stamkos and now you are doing the same...you will never get JT so knock it off.....

To you more sober minded Leaf fans, this doesn't apply to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad