News: Tavares to Explore Market - To Speak with 5 teams: TODAY IS THE DAY (Mod Warning in #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The parties, NYI, TOR and Team Tavares, are likely negotiating a sign and trade that gets Tavares an 8th year, NYI some assets, and TOR a cap hit break.

They have until midnight ET to that type of deal done. It's going to cost TOR some assset, perhaps draft picks. No wonder it's taking so long to get done in that case.

This make some sense. Lou is probably holding out for a better asset from the Leafs. It might be a Mexican standoff.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I honestly look forward to the day when both teams are good and meet in the playoffs. It will be a classic with the history and the Habs/Leafs fans....

As a leafs fan living in Montreal, I oh so love when the Habs lose, but life is so much more fun when they are competitive.

These days it's boring because when I rip on Habs fans they just agree and sulk. The NHL is better with a good Montreal Canadiens team. I obviously feel the same way about a good leafs team but I'm biased.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Did ANY of us see that as being the case when the season started???

Would anyone have gone this hard to the paint to have signed WK like we are for Tavares?
Thats not the point? You said a team crushed their way to the finals without a legit #1C. Thats not true. William karlsson played like a legit #1C all season long.
For what its worth NYR did it in 13/14 with Stepan as their #1C.

Reactions: hockeyGod and weems

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
why are u even in this thread other than to stir the pot and complain lmao
I'm in this thread because it's supposed to be about John Tavares. A player I am a big fan of. But it seems that the Leaf fans have turned it into their own little circle jerk instead.

I have just as much a right to be in this thread as you.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
To Toronto:
Tavares signed 8 years, 11 per

To Isles:
First Round Pick '19, '20
Rights to Aaltonen
Garret Sparks

Reactions: wc17

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Because the Leafs were 1-1 against Vegas?

That would be correct if he was referring to that but he wasnt. Re read his message and you'll see he was saying Vegas was 1-1. None the less I misread the line originally when I searched their record but either way Vegas took 3 pts from you with the shootout game featuring the future hall of fame goalie Manny Legace. Whether people want to face facts or not is their prerogative but to think the west was weak due to Vegas being good is just wrong which was my original point

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
So Boston would be an interesting choice. Any Bruins fans out there that can fill me in on their cap situation and how they could make it work?

Bruins need to trade one of Backes or Krejci to make cap space for Tavares. Both Krejci and Backes have NMCs, but there has been reports of talks with other teams involving both players.

If they sign Tavares, whoever remained from Backes or Krejci needs to be traded next offseason, because Boston will have to resign a few RFAs including Heinen, Donato, Carlo and McAvoy. Chara will be a UFA, but unless his play falls off a cliff, he will likely be brought back. Krug is another option to make cap space this or next offseason.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Do you know who Harrold Ballard is? There is a big reason for the lack of success. Worst NHL owner, maybe sports owner in history.

He won them 4 cups, and 3 of them were consecutive. He is repsonsible for argubably the most successful periord of the Leafs. He also hasn't been associated with the team in 28 years. At some point you can't pick and chooose when Ballard is a goood argument or not. You either take the good with the bad, or you don't get to mention the good .

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The parties, NYI, TOR and Team Tavares, are likely negotiating a sign and trade that gets Tavares an 8th year, NYI some assets, and TOR a cap hit break.

They have until midnight ET to that type of deal done. It's going to cost TOR some assset, perhaps draft picks. No wonder it's taking so long to get done in that case.
That is an interesting thought. Would the NHL be likely to throw the book at New York or Toronto for such a circumvention of the rules?

Then again, I have the feeling that unless Tavares absolutely has to have that 8th year Toronto would much prefer to avoid such a situation where they have to give up quality assets to sign a player that they could sign without having to send anything to New York.

I am kind of at a loss who the cap dump going back to NYI would be, maybe Marleau? That obviously isn't a great deal but with 47 points and 27 goals he at least more than earned the ice-time he got.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007

Wouldn’t that be a form of CBA circumvention? Is that even allowed? Yea the team acquiring his rights would be the team that owns him, but it’s not the original team that he’s signing with and there fore would only be allowed 7 years, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad