News: Tavares to Explore Market - To Speak with 5 teams: TODAY IS THE DAY (Mod Warning in #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
15 pages of nonstop, hardcore bashing of Dallas.

Then page 16, "I don't get why this board is so mean to Leaf fans. Maybe 1% of Leaf fans give the rest of us a bad name, but some of the comments in this thread by Stars fans prove their fanbase is far worse."

It's the Eric Cartman way.

Fake news by fake fans, more at 7.

Reactions: Lahey

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's what I was under the impression of, which is why I'm so confused Leaf fans like Lifeleafer are so angry at me lol
Haha there seems to be a lot of confusion about the term in this thread. There are others that get it though.
I wonder if they used the term bullish just to cause confusion?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
He'd fit even with him and Seguin at 12mil each. That is assuming inflated raises for Lindell(4.5), Janmark(3.5) and Faksa(4.5), and ELC's to fill out a handful of spots a couple of years down the road
(robertson, Hintz, etc)
The Final Year of Hanzal's deal would be a bit tight, assuming he's not shot into the Sun. but We could largely retain all the key players without issue, especially with expansion coming a lockout looming and cap increases
I think he would be a great fit in Dallas personally. Gets away from Long Island and can just focus on hockey. I still think he re-signs with the islanders personally but I think Dallas would be a nice fit.

Reactions: pbatx

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think he would be a great fit in Dallas personally. Gets away from Long Island and can just focus on hockey. I still think he re-signs with the islanders personally but I think Dallas would be a nice fit.

Team just isn’t solid enough in net or defense and plays in a very tough division. I think if it’s significanrly about winning he would have to be crazy to choose Dallas over Toronto or Tampa

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The key here. If it comes down to simply money, which is not the case. But still is a factor.

Isles apparently offered 88M for 8 years. For a 11M per year cap hit.

For other teams offering 7 year deals. 88M for 7 years would equal a 12.57M per yr cap hit.

Unless JT leaves money on the table. If he leaves the Isles expect a 12-12.5M cap hit to sign with a new team. That's if JT wants to be paid similarly to what the Isles reportedly offered.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Haha there seems to be a lot of confusion about the term in this thread. There are others that get it though.
I wonder if they used the term bullish just to cause confusion?

I didn't think it was hard to understand. I think more issue was taken with lack of source originally than anything.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Team just isn’t solid enough in net or defense and plays in a very tough division. I think if it’s significanrly about winning he would have to be crazy to choose Dallas over Toronto or Tampa
Well there is room for improvement no doubt but it just seems like Dallas gives him a chance to just play hockey. The pressure of playing in Toronto goes without saying but with how close Tampa has come the last few seasons there is going to be immense pressure on them if they sign Tavares. I'm not saying that everyone will just forget about Tavares if he sings in Dallas but I think the expectations will be a bit more realistic.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Doesn't bullish mean optimistic? Or is he bullish that the Canadian Dollars JT will convert after taking his USD Salary will make him Richie Rich?
This thread rocks. I've learned so much.

I think it means he thinks Tavares will be paid so much money JT will flood the Canadian market with currency thus deflating the Canadian dollar and increasing Matthews' purchasing power with his USD salary. "Bullish".

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I think it means he thinks Tavares will be paid so much money JT will flood the Canadian market with currency thus deflating the Canadian dollar and increasing Matthews' purchasing power with his USD salary. "Bullish".
Well done :laugh:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well there is room for improvement no doubt but it just seems like Dallas gives him a chance to just play hockey. The pressure of playing in Toronto goes without saying but with how close Tampa has come the last few seasons there is going to be immense pressure on them if they sign Tavares. I'm not saying that everyone will just forget about Tavares if he sings in Dallas but I think the expectations will be a bit more realistic.

I think too much is probably made of that. Tavares is no stranger to expectation. He set the bar high for himself when he got exceptional status into the OHL and has never looked back or overwhelmed by it

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
The key here. If it comes down to simply money, which is not the case. But still is a factor.

Isles apparently offered 88M for 8 years. For a 11M per year cap hit.

For other teams offering 7 year deals. 88M for 7 years would equal a 12.57M per yr cap hit.

Unless JT leaves money on the table. If he leaves the Isles expect a 12-12.5M cap hit to sign with a new team. That's if JT wants to be paid similarly to what the Isles reportedly offered.
If it's about the money and I don't think it is, then take home pay is a big one.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
At this point, it's not about the money. If it was, he would've went back to the Isles and they 100% would've matched or bettered the best offer he received from the other 5 teams and he would sign.

Reactions: KPower

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think too much is probably made of that. Tavares is no stranger to expectation. He set the bar high for himself when he got exceptional status into the OHL and never looked back.
Yeah, you're probably right. But I think he might do well with a change of scenery. How many years has he been with the Islanders for 9 years. I think he might be tired of "waiting" for their team to take the next step. I know they've made some good hires recently but it might be a case of too little too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad