Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
So....why is Dallas there then? 1yr of barely missing the playoffs cant be that big of a factor

I'm not saying it's the only factor...just that as it relates to his view of the Blues that it may have been considered. He may really, really like the strip clubs in Dallas for all we know.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
How in the H is Toronto going to afford their Big 3, Taveras and ice a respectable defense?

If they get Tavares, they have to move one of the big 3 over the next few years. The good news for them is that all of their big 3 still have 4 or 5 years before UFA, so they should be able to get a damn good D man for either Marner or Nylander whenever the cap forces a move. It's worth pointing out that they currently have $24.6 mil in cap space to fill 5 roster spots and that is without putting Horton' $5.3 mil on LTIR. For next year, they currently have $40 mil in space before LTIR to fill 13 spots. Finally, Marleua's $6.25 comes off the books after 2 years, which creates more flexibility.

If they get Tavares, I'm guessing that they will bridge Nylander on a 2 year deal and then ink Matthews/Marner to large extensions (that don't kick in until next summer). Assuming they tie up around $27 mil in Tavares/Marner/Matthews, that still leaves them with about $18 mil in space for 2019/20 (plus any cap increase) to fill 10 roster spots. That's pretty doable, especially since Marleau comes off the books the next summer and frees up a good chunk of space to fill holes. Patiently shop Nylander for a legitimate top 4 (or low end top pairing) D man and the blueline becomes adequate quickly.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I was listening to the NHL radio channel yesterday, and the commentator mentioned that the Islanders are still in it big time. He specifically mentioned the addition of Trotz and Lamoriello showing Taveres that the organization is now on the right track.
If changing the team's leadership was enough to guarantee winning, the Blues wouldn't have the playoff history they have.

It is certainly a theoretical upgrade for Buffalo, but we'll see how that all translates into results.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
If changing the team's leadership was enough to guarantee winning, the Blues wouldn't have the playoff history they have.

It is certainly a theoretical upgrade for Buffalo, but we'll see how that all translates into results.
Just getting rid of Snow makes it more than a theoretical upgrade.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
City wise... Dallas/SJ blow Stl out of the water. I just don't get the love for SJ as a team, Tavares is essentially replacing Thornton. They aren't going to be any better then they ever were
I think SJ would sign both. They would be a real force.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think SJ would sign both. They would be a real force.
I believe they would and the pacific really isn't that great so they'd be the cream of the crop in that division. I still wouldn't bank on them getting past the central team.

I guess it depends on what Joe has left. If he's still a .75+ppg guy then yea....that changes things. If he's declines fast and Tavares effectively just replaced Thorton, then I just don't see them being anymore then they've been. I honestly dont expect Kane to do much, maybe I'm wrong and he's matured and will be very productive

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
sharks still have goaltending issues imo. jones is not a very good goalie.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I believe they would and the pacific really isn't that great so they'd be the cream of the crop in that division. I still wouldn't bank on them getting past the central team.

I guess it depends on what Joe has left. If he's still a .75+ppg guy then yea....that changes things. If he's declines fast and Tavares effectively just replaced Thorton, then I just don't see them being anymore then they've been. I honestly dont expect Kane to do much, maybe I'm wrong and he's matured and will be very productive

Thornton didn't play in the playoffs this past season due to injury and the year before only played 4 of their 6 games due to injury. In those games that he did play, he was playing on a torn MCL and ACL in the same knee. Tavares would be a massive upgrade to what they have actually gotten out of Thornton down the stretch and in the playoffs for the last 2 years. Tavares might be a lateral move from 2015/16 Thornton, but the rest of the team is arguably better than that group. That team made it to the Final and has since added E Kane, Lebanc (40 points at 22 years old), Meir (36 points as a 22 year old) and seen noticeable improvement from Demelo and Dillon. They have lost Boedker and Marleua, but I think the improvements outweigh the losses due to the increase in speed and youth. Plus, even assuming Thornton is just a 40 pt player at this point, he would still be an 'upgrade' if Tavares is just seen as replacing Thornton.

No team is a lock for the Cup, but I don't see any argument that adding Tavares isn't a big upgrade.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thornton didn't play in the playoffs this past season due to injury and the year before only played 4 of their 6 games due to injury. In those games that he did play, he was playing on a torn MCL and ACL in the same knee. Tavares would be a massive upgrade to what they have actually gotten out of Thornton down the stretch and in the playoffs for the last 2 years. Tavares might be a lateral move from 2015/16 Thornton, but the rest of the team is arguably better than that group. That team made it to the Final and has since added E Kane, Lebanc (40 points at 22 years old), Meir (36 points as a 22 year old) and seen noticeable improvement from Demelo and Dillon. They have lost Boedker and Marleua, but I think the improvements outweigh the losses due to the increase in speed and youth. Plus, even assuming Thornton is just a 40 pt player at this point, he would still be an 'upgrade' if Tavares is just seen as replacing Thornton.

No team is a lock for the Cup, but I don't see any argument that adding Tavares isn't a big upgrade.
I'm talking over prime Thornton. I dont know what Thorton will return as given the injuries. He's 39yrs old and as we saw with Jagr, when they hit that wall, they hit it hard. If the Sharks become a player in the west, it's due to the other teams stalling imo

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm talking over prime Thornton. I dont know what Thorton will return as given the injuries. He's 39yrs old and as we saw with Jagr, when they hit that wall, they hit it hard. If the Sharks become a player in the west, it's due to the other teams stalling imo

Like I alluded to in my post, the team assembled around Tavares is better than any supporting cast around prime Thornton. I don't think Jones is an elite goalie but he is (at worst) an average starter. He has consistently elevated his game in the playoffs (.926 playoff SV% through 40 starts) and the one 'prime' Thornton season with Jones in net saw them get to the Final. Before that, they were going to war with Niemi, who was a very large reason that they consistently fizzled in the playoffs.

Worst case scenario, a return to having a guy like prime Thornton and a competent goalie returns them to true contender status.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Like I alluded to in my post, the team assembled around Tavares is better than any supporting cast around prime Thornton. I don't think Jones is an elite goalie but he is (at worst) an average starter. He has consistently elevated his game in the playoffs (.926 playoff SV% through 40 starts) and the one 'prime' Thornton season with Jones in net saw them get to the Final. Before that, they were going to war with Niemi, who was a very large reason that they consistently fizzled in the playoffs.

Worst case scenario, a return to having a guy like prime Thornton and a competent goalie returns them to true contender status.
I guess but I'm still not penciling them in as world beaters

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
He was good enough to get them to the SCF two years ago. Allen could only get us as far as the WCF.

Oh, wait, that was Elliott. :laugh:
allen single handily carried a inferior team on his back to beat another in a short 5 game series

what did elliott do? he got pulled in the sj series for being a gigantic turd.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Truth be told I was a bit surprised when reading how JT didn't have St.Louis on his 'list'.

Seems now San Jose might be his best fit.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Apparently an NHL network analyst said JT is giving serious thought to a "mystery team." There's still hope, fellas! Ha.
Nashville.....

lYDmo1w.gif

They then proceed to trade Johansen to Montreal for multiple 1sts.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
man this offseason is going about as bad as it could.

blues are literally gonna end up with scraps.

Reactions: Dbrownss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad