Speculation: Tavares Tells Toronto, "I'm YOUR Huckleberry Now". Fans leaguewide mourn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
69 pages of hope. Hope never dies.

I don't understand how it makes sad If it's reality what this team is.

Yes lets turn Back on this and ditch it. Lets not talk about reasons why Blues doesn't interested top players?
I'm honestly interested in what it is. Team related or city related

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Well it is a team that has never won a Stanley Cup, and did not make the playoffs last year. I think most players once they get taded to St. Louis seem to like it, but the city doesn't have a great reputation.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If you've difficult to read my post I suggest you just add me in your ignorelist and problem is solved. I won't chance my writing just for somebodys don't like it or view it as a negative or positive.

I hope that was intentional, because it made me laugh my ass off.

I don't think any of us here are actually bothered by your English. Your English is a heck of a lot better than my Spanish, Finnish, etc. With that said, you mentioned how you learned pronunciations first, so I'm going to give a couple examples of the way you should be using change/chance in sentences you would say:

"There is no chance that Tavares changes his mind and signs with the Blues."

"The Blues need a management change if they want to have a chance at winning a Cup"

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd say it's between SJ and Toronto if he leaves the Isles.

So, I would say both. City is the main factor there though (hometown vs. Bay Area) but both teams could realistically win a Cup within the next few years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well it is a team that has never won a Stanley Cup, and did not make the playoffs last year. I think most players once they get taded to St. Louis seem to like it, but the city doesn't have a great reputation.
I don't know how much past cups matter unless that core is largely still intact and productive.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I'd say it's between SJ and Toronto if he leaves the Isles.

So, I would say both. City is the main factor there though (hometown vs. Bay Area) but both teams could realistically win a Cup within the next few years.

How in the H is Toronto going to afford their Big 3, Taveras and ice a respectable defense?

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Probably a little bit of both. Of the teams he interviewed, St. Louis would probably rank lowest in quality of city, and we didnt make the playoffs last year. Dallas and NYI didnt make the playoffs either, but Dallas can offer a higher effective salary without any state taxes and NYI is NYC and can offer the 8th year.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I really think it's a ploy for him to get the largest contract from NYI that he can. I think Dallas Ian of interest being able to give him a long term deal for the most money. The odd part about my theory though is listening to MTL or STL could have given him the most lucrative term deal. Regardless it is a really good question, I see no way how we aren't as attractive as Dallas as a team. Granted I don't see how we are attractive as a city compared to Dallas/SJ especially if you don't take into account the surrounding burbs

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I really think it's a ploy for him to get the largest contract from NYI that he can. I think Dallas Ian of interest being able to give him a long term deal for the most money. The odd part about my theory though is listening to MTL or STL could have given him the most lucrative term deal. Regardless it is a really good question, I see no way how we aren't as attractive as Dallas as a team. Granted I don't see how we are attractive as a city compared to Dallas/SJ especially if you don't take into account the surrounding burbs
City wise... Dallas/SJ blow Stl out of the water. I just don't get the love for SJ as a team, Tavares is essentially replacing Thornton. They aren't going to be any better then they ever were

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Something tells me the beach life is more attractive to JT. Just gut feelings nothing credible to back that up. But man Dallas is an attractive place as far as the city life, arena, etc.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Agreed.

It's still probably the biggest NHL topic of interest for this offseason, and it could potentially have a significant impact of the balance of power within the league. It's worth a thread of its own for discussion.
Do you think the league, as parity driven as it is, might put penalties on teams with preferential locations?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Do you think the league, as parity driven as it is, might put penalties on teams with preferential locations?
The salary cap is already a penalty of sorts.

Beyond that? No, I don't think the league has any interest in funneling free agents away from preferred locations. The players earned their right to choose where they want to play by that point, and you can't punish an organization for being more attractive to a potential UFA than another one.

Reactions: Brian39

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
??? None of the finalist cities is much of a beach destination.
It's like an hour drive to the beach. It might not be SoCal but visiting my friends out there and talking with them all the time it may as well be.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I hope that was intentional, because it made me laugh my ass off.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Brian39

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I honestly think that if the Blues had made the playoffs last year the team would have more appeal as having made the playoffs 7 or 8 straight years. I think the stench of the miss and the play down the stretch showed how far the Blues were from true contenders, even though there were extenuating circumstances with trades and injuries. It would be ironic that Armstrong's choice to get an asset back for Stastny could have directly led to his inability to replace Stastny with the top-Center on the market. Who knows...maybe Tavares puts STL on the list if they make a respectable appearance in the playoffs, instead of morphing into a shit-show of offensive incompetence and special teams ineptitude?

Reactions: Celtic Note

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I honestly think that if the Blues had made the playoffs last year the team would have more appeal as having made the playoffs 7 or 8 straight years. I think the stench of the miss and the play down the stretch showed how far the Blues were from true contenders, even though there were extenuating circumstances with trades and injuries. It would be ironic that Armstrong's choice to get an asset back for Stastny could have directly led to his inability to replace Stastny with the top-Center on the market. Who knows...maybe Tavares puts STL on the list if they make a respectable appearance in the playoffs, instead of morphing into a ****-show of offensive incompetence and special teams ineptitude?

Yeah, it's a strange place we're in. It just feels like we're ready to lock and load, but only if it's true elite talent. Otherwise, we could just let our prospects develop in our system (Rampage for Calder), let some contracts expire or be traded at the DL, bank some cash for the future, and wait for the right trades/UFAs after we've examined our prospects better.

Here's to hoping Petro convinced Tavares to consider STL after meeting with the other teams, having taken a blood brother oath to secure the deal for Army weeks ago.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I honestly think that if the Blues had made the playoffs last year the team would have more appeal as having made the playoffs 7 or 8 straight years. I think the stench of the miss and the play down the stretch showed how far the Blues were from true contenders, even though there were extenuating circumstances with trades and injuries. It would be ironic that Armstrong's choice to get an asset back for Stastny could have directly led to his inability to replace Stastny with the top-Center on the market. Who knows...maybe Tavares puts STL on the list if they make a respectable appearance in the playoffs, instead of morphing into a ****-show of offensive incompetence and special teams ineptitude?
So....why is Dallas there then? 1yr of barely missing the playoffs cant be that big of a factor

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't know how much past cups matter unless that core is largely still intact and productive.

I was listening to the NHL radio channel yesterday, and the commentator mentioned that the Islanders are still in it big time. He specifically mentioned the addition of Trotz and Lamoriello showing Taveres that the organization is now on the right track.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was listening to the NHL radio channel yesterday, and the commentator mentioned that the Islanders are still in it big time. He specifically mentioned the addition of Trotz and Lamoriello showing Taveres that the organization is now on the right track.
I hope he stays...considering he gave us the cold shoulder :laugh:

Reactions: Celtic Note
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad