Tavares spear.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I find the uproar a little bit over the top. Certainly a dirty, unsportsmanlike play. But almost every legal hit is more dangerous than this cup tap, without even mentioning the illegal ones.

A lot of people were saying Martin "did nothing wrong" on this play:

What did he do wrong? The overall consensus on this board, including many Wild fans, was that Ballard turned away from the hit and put himself in a dangerous position. That was a clean hit that went wrong.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
What did he do wrong? The overall consensus on this board, including many Wild fans, was that Ballard turned away from the hit and put himself in a dangerous position. That was a clean hit that went wrong.

Seeing how Ballard was 3 feet from the boards and stationary (before trying to avoid the hit) if Martin actually hit him solidly it would have been a very dangerous boarding play. As it was Martin raised his elbow to make sure he contacted Ballard in the head as he tried to roll away.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Tavares actually plays the game the right way and complains less than most stars. If anything, I don't mind seeing him get a little dirty to let guys know not to take liberties. What he did tonight was nothing compared to the wild one-handed slash JT took recently from Scandella on Minn, and that was a 2 minute penalty too. He won't get anything. The league lets stars send messages.

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
One of the reasons I started watching hockey and loving it was plays like these. Now mind you I grew up in a time when moms did not fight your battles and if you failed a test you would not go out and play hockey that week. It is interesting to me how we all see this play, I ve seen it a 1000 times. No big deal... many disagree. I do miss the days of the Flower going end to end followed by a big fight... Was so much more fun.. The NHL wanted new fans and I can see here that that they got em... RIP real men!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Isles are winning off the backs of - Strome, Nelson, Leddy, Hickey, Halak - these are the MVPs this year.

In defense of Tavares, while he is off, he still leads the team(along with Okposo in scoring) and it's much easier for other guys to score when Tavares getting other teams top assignments.

All that being said they really need to find better linemates for Tavares. They really haven't given Nelson or Lee a shot yet for that #1 LW, hell maybe even try switch Okposo and Grabovski to really distribute the offense over 3 lines. I guess though when you are 21-10 you don't really need to change thing up

Last edited:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
One of the reasons I started watching hockey and loving it was plays like these. Now mind you I grew up in a time when moms did not fight your battles and if you failed a test you would not go out and play hockey that week. It is interesting to me how we all see this play, I ve seen it a 1000 times. No big deal... many disagree. I do miss the days of the Flower going end to end followed by a big fight... Was so much more fun.. The NHL wanted new fans and I can see here that that they got em... RIP real men!

This is why you started watching hockey? To see men spear eachother in the nuts? :laugh: There is nothing manly about spearing someone. What would have been manly is if Tavares dropped his gloves there to get the message across.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Tavares actually plays the game the right way and complains less than most stars. If anything, I don't mind seeing him get a little dirty to let guys know not to take liberties. What he did tonight was nothing compared to the wild one-handed slash JT took recently from Scandella on Minn, and that was a 2 minute penalty too. He won't get anything. The league lets stars send messages.

Lol ok

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He isn't going to be suspended at all. He will get his league minimum fine and forget about it. Until the NHL changes their stance on shots to the nuts players are going to continue to do them.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
His body language and attitude were horrible tonight. That was a selfish and cowardly play, and I hope he gets a game to get his head straight because we all know Fred Flinstone won't bench him.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Since when do spears warrant suspensions from the league? They are dirty but the league lets many of them go.

845347396.gif

e3l7o8.gif

This. the league has let several egregious spears to the nuts go already. Why act now?

Also, while it was pretty clearly a spear, judging an incident from a gif is a troubling trend.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
Seeing how Ballard was 3 feet from the boards and stationary (before trying to avoid the hit) if Martin actually hit him solidly it would have been a very dangerous boarding play. As it was Martin raised his elbow to make sure he contacted Ballard in the head as he tried to roll away.

ifff

seeing how Ballard basically moved and it threw Martin off of balance you have no idea how hard Martin was going to hit him, Martin is known as a hitter but a clean one, seeing how Ballard was in a vulnerable spot against the boards I am willing to bet Martin was going to barely lay into him

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

The Ballard hit was discussed to death in its own thread. . . And most people, wild fans included, disagree with your take on it

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Suspension? I would hope not. If JT's weight had been on his right leg, his knee is toast (to be clear, I'm not suggesting what the Devil player did was illegal).

Not a big fan of spearing people in the balls, but if there was ever a time, this was it.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Flyers fan here and I have no problem with what Tavares did. Hell the Flyers legacy was built on players that did things like that. Bobby Clarke was notorious for dirty petulant play. I'm all for it as long as it doesn't cross the line into something like what Chris Simon or Marty McSorley did. Is it dirty? Yes. He doesn't deserve a suspension though, and some of you are acting like he committed a crime. It's hockey, this happens. Guys play with high emotion and sometimes it boils over in a moment of temporary rage.

Completely agree with your post. But full disclosure... I too, grew up watching hockey in a different era. So I apologize to other posters in this thread for thinking that this is a bunch of typical HFboard overreaction malarkey.

Was it a penalty? yes. Should it have been more than 2 min? yes. Should he get a suspension? In the 1980's NHL probably not.... In today's NHL, sure why not. Honestly do not have problem with the league giving him one. But please, let's dispense with the (OMG he did such a mean thing, he's such a disappointment). Star players often crossed the line (Trottier, Messier, Clarke) with mean and cruel plays. But unlike today's NHL they weren't criticized as character flaws.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
62.6 Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or suspensions for spearing, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion

It was a cheap shot but people are delusional if they think he is going to be suspended for a game. Who was the last player suspended for a spear?

Was it a cheap shot? Yes.
Should it have been a major? Yes

suspension though....

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014

come again?

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
It was a cheap shot but people are delusional if they think he is going to be suspended for a game. Who was the last player suspended for a spear?

Was it a cheap shot? Yes.
Should it have been a major? Yes

suspension though....
agreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad