Tavares spear.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Spears don't get suspensions, oh the horror, so dirty. You'll stop pretending you're offended by this by tomorrow, most only care enough to remember dirty acts by players you already don't like, confirmation bias. Remember when Giroux was suspended for an intentional headshot? No you don't, much like how everyone will forget how they pretended to be salty over this. Back to the crosby threads.

I see where your going with and you would be correct. Most of the "outraged" fans seem to be from Pittsburgh and the Rangers (I think a Ranger fan started the thread).

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I'd say I have a different opinion on this matter. It was dirty. I'm glad the Devil's player didn't get hurt but I'd have to say it's about time Tavares stood up for himself.

Yes, it could have cost the Islanders the game, but I've been waiting for Tavares to offer some sort of retribution for any player taking shots at him. Sometimes it's necessary so other players don't go around thinking it's open season on the guy. Send a message JT. I'm all for it. Maybe it'll take a little of he darkside to get JT out of this so called "slump". (isn't he the leading scorer and captain the EC second place team?). I like JT playing with a little of an edge to his game. Means he's engaged.

Seems like the team is getting a little more aggressive in their play as a whole. In the last 3 or so games we have Anders Lee taking out Gunnarson. Martin demolishing Ballard (honestly was an accident, but hope the guy recovers soon), and now Tavares.

The team needs to adjust its identity and show it can engage in the dirty stuff if need be. Every team plays like this when necessary. Isles can't be the exception especially come playoff time.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009

Even though I love Tavares to death he should sit out at least one game for that.
It was definitely dirty and it deserved a 5 min match penalty.

Actually I don't think the refs saw it, otherwise they wouldn't call it a slash.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
I'd say I have a different opinion on this matter. It was dirty. I'm glad the Devil's player didn't get hurt but I'd have to say it's about time Tavares stood up for himself.

Yes, it could have cost the Islanders the game, but I've been waiting for Tavares to offer some sort of retribution for any player taking shots at him. Sometimes it's necessary so other players don't go around thinking it's open season on the guy. Send a message JT. I'm all for it. Maybe it'll take a little of he darkside to get JT out of this so called "slump". (isn't he the leading scorer and captain the EC second place team?). I like JT playing with a little of an edge to his game. Means he's engaged.

Seems like the team is getting a little more aggressive in their play as a whole. In the last 3 or so games we have Anders Lee taking out Gunnarson. Martin demolishing Ballard (honestly was an accident, but hope the guy recovers soon), and now Tavares.

The team needs to adjust its identity and show it can engage in the dirty stuff if need be. Every team plays like this when necessary. Isles can't be the exception especially come playoff time.

The team responds when needed. Tavares crossed the line. But the Isles have handed out more hits than most teams in the league over the season. Lee and Martin each just took a player out each within the rules, but i am sure the Sens and Blues fans have seen enough already. The defensive system against Tavares is crazy right now, JT has to start moving the puck faster to gain some room back.

Bottomline, with the aggressive up-tempo style the Isles play (except when the play the Devs), there are going to be injuries and questionable hits both ways. I can see why JT did not like the hip check and retaliated, but you cant do what he did either.

Looking at it again, you see Tavares jump the last minute before getting hit, but that had potential to be knee on knee if he did not.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
WTF is with this rash of **** spears?

I blame the bruins :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, start automatically fining anyone who does this sort of crap, and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I saw the Scandella play it was fine and a hockey play. This wasn't but shouldn't be suspended.

How do you define "a hockey play"?

Tavares had Scandella clearly beat and was skating in alone on the goalie. Scandella wasn't going for the puck. He couldn't possibly have reached the puck. He had to dive flat out and wildly swing with one hand on the stick just to reach Tavares. His only intent could have been to slash Tavares as hard as he could to cause pain that would therefore interfere with his shot attempt. Which is exactly what happened. That's "a hockey play"?

If the intent is merely to cause pain, I think it's parsing things too closely to take another step and ask what the reason is behind the intent.

bobbyt911

He didn't mean to hit him below the belt but he def meant to hit him.

That's def a game.

I think it was just he has been frustrated about his play as of late. That should've been a 5 for spearing and that could be a suspension.

Tell you the truth, I almost want a game suspension on JT. Hopefully that will be his wake up call to take his head out of his ass and be the elite player he could be.

good point, IMO a 1 game suspension is deserved cuz spearing is right up there on the list of top dirty plays. Plus him sitting a game may give him some more drive.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
Definitely a match penalty. I imagine the league will look into this. Shanny's not going let this go Canada or not. What the hell was he thinking I have no idea. He could have cost his team the game. If the isles weren't playing wings next I'd bench him

DyerMaker66*

Definitely a match penalty. I imagine the league will look into this. Shanny's not going let this go Canada or not. What the hell was he thinking I have no idea. He could have cost his team the game. If the isles weren't playing wings next I'd bench him

Shanahan works for the Leafs.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I don't see where Zidlicky did anything wrong there...at all. Tavares jumped to the opposite side of his knee...escaping the hip and a clean check, not a knee.

Vladiator16*

Flyers fan here and I have no problem with what Tavares did. Hell the Flyers legacy was built on players that did things like that. Bobby Clarke was notorious for dirty petulant play. I'm all for it as long as it doesn't cross the line into something like what Chris Simon or Marty McSorley did. Is it dirty? Yes. He doesn't deserve a suspension though, and some of you are acting like he committed a crime. It's hockey, this happens. Guys play with high emotion and sometimes it boils over in a moment of temporary rage.

Thats hockey for you? Its fine with you being speared in the balls? WTF? What a D-bag mentality. I'd say to a normal people something like that is shameful and unacceptable, and im sure JT himself is embarrassed by lack of judgment/self control at that moment.
Im sure there will be no repercussions, just ask Lucic.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Good for him that is what you do as a star when guys are going after you . dirty? yeah for sure. A good thing for him to do? Yeah as well.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Good for him that is what you do as a star when guys are going after you . dirty? yeah for sure. A good thing for him to do? Yeah as well.

Sad commentary when the stars feel the need to protect themselves from clean hits with a spear to the privates...

Personally I feel it leaves them open to pretty much anything, anytime, if their opponents use the same logic.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Zidlicky brought that on himself: he went for JT's knee and got a blade in the stomach. It's pretty laughable to see a bunch of Penguins fans whine about this when their brain damaged captain does the exact same thing at a regular basis.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Zidlicky brought that on himself: he went for JT's knee and got a blade in the stomach. It's pretty laughable to see a bunch of Penguins fans whine about this when their brain damaged captain does the exact same thing at a regular basis.

:help: someones jealous of Crosby and the Penguins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad