Proposal: Tavares for Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The OP would need to stipulate that this isn't a debate for the status quo ante, given Karlsson's current contract status. His rental status makes this a non-starter. Period.

That would end a pretty interesting conversation, though. So let's have him sign a seven-year extension at $11M/yr, a front loaded, lockout protected, bonus laden deal like that which Tavares signed for the sake of simplicity.

If he were signed along these lines, or agreed to sign as part of the trade, it would be an interesting question, particularly since Toronto desperately needs defense and the front office doesn't agree with that premise. Or at least it says so; I'm not sure I believe this TML position is sincere.

As for the Sharks, signing Tavares appears to have been their first choice this summer, and trading for Karlsson their second choice.

Summary: Both teams ended up adding to a position of strength, and still have real weaknesses in the other area. Fascinating.

Personally, I would do it if I were either club. I think the Sharks would do it. The Leafs would wrestle with what their hearts and their heads are telling them. I think they'd pass.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
The OP would need to stipulate that this isn't a debate for the status quo ante, given Karlsson's current contract status. His rental status makes this a non-starter. Period.

That would end a pretty interesting conversation, though. So let's have him sign a seven-year extension at $11M/yr, a front loaded, lockout protected, bonus laden deal like that which Tavares signed for the sake of simplicity.

If he were signed along these lines, or agreed to sign as part of the trade, it would be an interesting question, particularly since Toronto desperately needs defense and the front office doesn't agree with that premise. Or at least it says so; I'm not sure I believe this TML position is sincere.

As for the Sharks, signing Tavares appears to have been their first choice this summer, and trading for Karlsson their second choice.

Summary: Both teams ended up adding to a position of strength, and still have real weaknesses in the other area. Fascinating.

Personally, I would do it if I were either club. I think the Sharks would do it. The Leafs would wrestle with what their hearts and their heads are telling them. I think they'd pass.

I wanted to keep the premise simple in first post so I'll so my cards...

Works for SJS because they would get Tavares at a cheaper 11 million per instead of 13 million. Though the cost is what they gave Ottawa for Karlsson, suppose the 1st from the Leafs to Ottawa would meet the condition so it's a wash from what the Leafs and Sharks pay in assets beyond the deal. Tavares would be the ideal person to pass the torch from Thorton after this season.

For the Leafs, we need a 1D like Karlsson, allows for Rielly-Gardiner (they have insanely good possession numbers when paired) to become a dominate second pair, allows for Nylander to graduate to C and that 11 million can be offered to Karlsson. I'd say Karlsson in a vacuum has more value so it gives a year window to extend Karlsson.

Again I understand this trade can't happen, I just see it a two teams solving each other's issues in theory.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Value wise, it's obviously very close assuming Karlsson was extended. I don't think either team makes this trade though.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Did you watch the 2017 playoffs to see what Karlsson is capable of on both sides of the rink?
Listen, i am not some Leafs homer...i will openly admit Karlsson is a stud...hands down. But he is sn offwnce 1st guy...as someone said earlier, yiu easily overlook that when it's Karlsson. Would i have traded the value SJ did? Hell ya...but i am not sure i would move JT gor him.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Listen, i am not some Leafs homer...i will openly admit Karlsson is a stud...hands down. But he is sn offwnce 1st guy...as someone said earlier, yiu easily overlook that when it's Karlsson. Would i have traded the value SJ did? Hell ya...but i am not sure i would move JT gor him.
The EK is bad at defense thing is a meme though. Sure he can coast through parts of the regular season where he looks like he can't play defense, but when it matters I do believe he is the most effective player in the world - at both ends of the ice.

Reactions: NyQuil

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lol do people actually think tavares is a better player than Kalrsson?

I guess it's the toronto maple leaf boost. I remember the days when Luke Schenn was better than Karlsson...
Zeke provided data that Phaneuf outplayed Subban and Karlsson to start one season. Hard to argue with raw numbers.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Lol do people actually think tavares is a better player than Kalrsson?

I guess it's the toronto maple leaf boost. I remember the days when Luke Schenn was better than Karlsson...

Settle down. Tavares easily has more value until Karlsson has an extension.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Well duh.

The only way this is realistic is if Karlsson is extended. Why would anyone assume it's for an unsigned Kalrsson.

Well since that's what OP is proposing, and is his current contract status......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad