Confirmed with Link: Tarmo Reunanen signs his entry level contract

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
seems to me the only folks overrating Bereglazov, then wringing their hands,
were the internet posters whose online persona is to always overstate or overreact ....
see also Meskanen, Zamorsky, Stromwall -
all NHL UDFAs, players in their early 20's, looking decent in their home leagues, signed to 'why not' ELCs -

i believe NYR and the scouts saw them all as long-shot 'diamonds in the rough'
gamble a couple NHL ELCs each year, and maybe a couple real players come from it

not much different than Leedahl, Dowzak, Nell, Newell, Elmer, Pedrie, Bodie
[and Raddysh (a one-time UDFA, just wasn't originally signed by NYR, acquired for the bargain price of an extraneous borderline waiver-pickup F)]

or even Vinni, the 1-in-5 to 1-in-10 shot who has had some success as a pro
I still don't understand why Meskanen never got a cup of coffee last season.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So what was the point of signing him now then instead of next summer? I hope he develops in Hartford. I dont see how he can't. He is an upgrade over guys like Day, Keane and Crawley in my opinion. This makes no sense. I hope he changes his mind and stays to develop in the AHL
He's 21, so if he signs ELC this year it's a 3 year ELC. If he signs it next year at 22 it would by the CBA be a 2 year ELC. His signing was ensured by doing it now, nothing was lost.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
He's 21, so if he signs ELC this year it's a 3 year ELC. If he signs it next year at 22 it would by the CBA be a 2 year ELC. His signing was ensured by doing it now, nothing was lost.

I think that is the big key here...next year he'd have 2 years left on his ELC regardless so nothing lost. positive is that we got to see that he is pretty close and another big year in finland could put him in a real strong spot to compete for a spot in ny. I would have loved to see him play in hartford a bit before going back in case hajek struggles or anyone gets hurt. but overall almost all good things from tarmo over the last year or so.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
seems to me the only folks overrating Bereglazov, then wringing their hands,
were the internet posters whose online persona is to always overstate or overreact ....
see also Meskanen, Zamorsky, Stromwall -
all NHL UDFAs, players in their early 20's, looking decent in their home leagues, signed to 'why not' ELCs -

i believe NYR and the scouts saw them all as long-shot 'diamonds in the rough'
gamble a couple NHL ELCs each year, and maybe a couple real players come from it

not much different than Leedahl, Dowzak, Nell, Newell, Elmer, Pedrie, Bodie
[and Raddysh (a one-time UDFA, just wasn't originally signed by NYR, acquired for the bargain price of an extraneous borderline waiver-pickup F)]

or even Vinni, the 1-in-5 to 1-in-10 shot who has had some success as a pro
You pay your money and you take your chances. Occasionally you turn up a Dan Girardi or a Cam Talbot.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Pretty sure its just a paper move but I hope im wrong

I never even thought of that. They've been doing this with a bunch of the guys in Hartford, right?

I think because Leslie Treff reported it, I assumed there was more to it. But she could have just seen the transaction, the same as any of us would.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I never even thought of that. They've been doing this with a bunch of the guys in Hartford, right?

I think because Leslie Treff reported it, I assumed there was more to it. But she could have just seen the transaction, the same as any of us would.

As much as I hope it is, I doubt it.

With Miller back, they have 7 D on the team. Bitetto was the healthy scratch today

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Unless someone is out I assume it's a paper transaction so he can collect a day of NHL pay instead of a greatly-reduced minors salary.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Unless someone is out I assume it's a paper transaction so he can collect a day of NHL pay instead of a greatly-reduced minors salary.
I think the team is happy with Hajek’s play of late. I also think they would prefer Jack Johnson, as crappy as that is, for the physical aspect against the Bruins.

But I would prefer to see Reunanen over both of the above, obviously more Johnson.

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Smith
Reunanen-Hajek

That is what I would roll after Boston. Won’t happen though.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wonder if he is skating with the Rangers? If he impresses, perhaps Tuesday?
He played for Hartford today and had a nice assist on the first goal. It seems like this was just a paper transaction to get him an NHL salary for a day or two, but he's definitely playing his way into call-up consideration (if they can make the cap work)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I thought he just played today for the wolf pack

He did.

We have 7 defensemen on the team now. Unless we are losing 2 to injuries, I doubt we see Reunanen any time soon which is a damn shame because he's easily better than Johnson and Hájek

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Johnson was considered to have had rather a good game against the Bruins; this would be the unlikeliest time imaginable to take him out. If he reverts to form this afternoon, that's another story. I'd like to see Reunanen get a shot as well, but Bitetto has been pretty decent for the most part and it's going to take some more regression there or another injury for Tarmo to get any ice, I expect.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Johnson was considered to have had rather a good game against the Bruins; this would be the unlikeliest time imaginable to take him out. If he reverts to form this afternoon, that's another story. I'd like to see Reunanen get a shot as well, but Bitetto has been pretty decent for the most part and it's going to take some more regression there or another injury for Tarmo to get any ice, I expect.

If he keeps up the AHL production he will get the call around the trade deadline

they want Bitetto and Hajek to hit games needed for expansion eligibility

Smith could get traded at half off and Johnson will get benched

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
He did.

We have 7 defensemen on the team now. Unless we are losing 2 to injuries, I doubt we see Reunanen any time soon which is a damn shame because he's easily better than Johnson and Hájek
easy with how much better he is than Hajek. He needs to play at the NHL level to determine how good he is. Right now, Hajek is playing pretty well with bad partners on his off side.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
easy with how much better he is than Hajek. He needs to play at the NHL level to determine how good he is. Right now, Hajek is playing pretty well with bad partners on his off side.

Reunanen was playing 25+ minutes a night in Liiga while Hájek couldn't even hold on to a spot on the 3rd pair in the Czech League. It's not even close.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Reunanen was playing 25+ minutes a night in Liiga while Hájek couldn't even hold on to a spot on the 3rd pair in the Czech League. It's not even close.
Playing well in Liiga and the AHL is great but it's not a guarantee that a guy can play in the NHL.

As you said, Hajek was struggling in the Czech League and played poorly in the AHL last year. That would seem to indicate he's nowhere near NHL quality, and yet, he's doing decently.

I think Reunanen is ahead of Hajek for sure, but until a guy actually demonstrates he can play in the NHL, it's not a given. I mean he's doing well in the AHL but isn't dominant, and he still looks like he needs to add some strength.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I think he'll become a nice middle pairing D in his prime.

His names kills me though. Tarm(o) literally means bowel in swedish lmao.

With a name like that you know he's the real shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad