Confirmed with Link: Tarmo Reunanen signs his entry level contract

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He did.

We have 7 defensemen on the team now. Unless we are losing 2 to injuries, I doubt we see Reunanen any time soon which is a damn shame because he's easily better than Johnson and Hájek

Johnson? Yes. Hajek? No.

Hajek has been quite good lately. Very steady and very unnoticeable. The only time I notice him is when he's getting trucked by someone which seems to happen once a game. And that's fine. If I can't tell that he's on the ice, he's playing well enough.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Playing well in Liiga and the AHL is great but it's not a guarantee that a guy can play in the NHL.

As you said, Hajek was struggling in the Czech League and played poorly in the AHL last year. That would seem to indicate he's nowhere near NHL quality, and yet, he's doing decently.

I think Reunanen is ahead of Hajek for sure, but until a guy actually demonstrates he can play in the NHL, it's not a given. I mean he's doing well in the AHL but isn't dominant, and he still looks like he needs to add some strength.

But that's typical for non-elite defense prospects. These guys take a lot more time to develop. Hajek has been playing quite well since he got into the lineup. I am pleased. Hajek looks like he'll be a decent 2nd pairing defenseman or an elite 3rd pairing defenseman.

I was hoping he'd be a 2/3, which I think is starting to look like a lost cause, but he's still got the potential to be quite a valuable player. The type of guy teams need on decent contracts.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
I think he'll become a nice middle pairing D in his prime.

His names kills me though. Tarm(o) literally means bowel in swedish lmao.

With a name like that you know he's the real shit.

Tarmo is a quite common name in Finland, and i never associated the name with the Swedish word tarm. Rather, seeing the name Tarmo makes me think about icebreakers, not intestines :). So in my book it is a good name. His whole name is so typical finnish, especially compared to Kaapo Kakko.
I like Kaapos name too, it is cool, but in my mind not as typical for a Finn.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But that's typical for non-elite defense prospects. These guys take a lot more time to develop. Hajek has been playing quite well since he got into the lineup. I am pleased. Hajek looks like he'll be a decent 2nd pairing defenseman or an elite 3rd pairing defenseman.

I was hoping he'd be a 2/3, which I think is starting to look like a lost cause, but he's still got the potential to be quite a valuable player. The type of guy teams need on decent contracts.
For sure. I was just saying, if we're judging readiness for NHL action by what you've done in other leagues, Hajek shouldn't be doing what he's doing now. A guy struggling in the Czech League should have no business even near an NHL rink. But, that's not how it always works, as you said.

Reunanen will get his shot. I'm just not a fan of the whole, "Player X is clearly better than (name your NHL player); how could they be worse?" That's been said countless times over the years and then we find out the prospect is definitely worse. :laugh: The guy may be better in the long run, but the jump from the AHL to the NHL is still a big one an even productive AHL guys often fail to make it.

Reactions: cwede

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
For sure. I was just saying, if we're judging readiness for NHL action by what you've done in other leagues, Hajek shouldn't be doing what he's doing now. A guy struggling in the Czech League should have no business even near an NHL rink. But, that's not how it always works, as you said.

Reunanen will get his shot. I'm just not a fan of the whole, "Player X is clearly better than (name your NHL player); how could they be worse?" That's been said countless times over the years and then we find out the prospect is definitely worse. :laugh: The guy may be better in the long run, but the jump from the AHL to the NHL is still a big one an even productive AHL guys often fail to make it.

I think Hajek is just that type of guy that must be more comfortable on the NHL-sized rinks.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
51 reminds me of

upload_2021-3-15_18-38-42.png

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

but there really is no way he's worse than JJ tho

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Nice to see him get a chance, im surprised though that Johnson isnt in, not complaining but its kinda weird.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I swear to god he better get as good of a chance in this line-up as Hajek. Reunanen makes-up for a lack of physicality in the defensive zone by actually being a decent professional-league player.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He didn't look out of place from my untrained eye, the same eye that saw #79 out of place an awful lot.

I wonder if by any chance he stays in the lineup and maybe someone like Miller who can use a seat. nothing wrong with a mental break as a young player especially when the player tends to struggle. I wonder if Tarmo stays and makes Jack Johnson a memory.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad