Confirmed with Link: Tarmo Reunanen signs his entry level contract

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I also want to add that, just because someone is using a translator in an on-camera interview, it doesn't mean they can't speak or understand the language. In many instances it's just a comfort thing for the athlete, where they're on camera and they want to make sure that what they are saying is being correctly recorded by the camera. MLB implemented a program a few years ago where teams were mandated to have at least one Spanish-language interpreter on staff and were given a budget to fill those positions. And the guys using them, anecdotally, had no problems interacting with their English speaking teammates or even giving an interview to a blogger with a notepad. But by having the translator available, they're more comfortable. Cespedes is an example of a guy who used an interpreter for a long while after he became conversationally sound in English. He just didn't want to accidentally say the wrong thing and have it become an issue.

So, again. Don't assume that use of an interpreter in an interview = a lack of ability to communicate in the translated language.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I speak 5 languages myself (Dutch, Afrikaans, German, French and English) so I understand the headache it can cause. In Zibanejad's case he speaks those languages because of where he was born or where his parents are from. That makes it a lot easier. Finnish is probably the toughest language in Europe to learn so learning it at an early age definitely helps for Zibanejad

I speak one. I studied French for 7 years (and Latin for 5) so I can mostly muddle my way through written romance languages but to say I spoke French would be a pretty comical exaggeration.

Finnish would likely make my brain melt, though I did survive learning a bit of Hungarian in the mid-90's from my brother's wife who is from Budapest.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I speak 5 languages myself (Dutch, Afrikaans, German, French and English) so I understand the headache it can cause. In Zibanejad's case he speaks those languages because of where he was born or where his parents are from. That makes it a lot easier. Finnish is probably the toughest language in Europe to learn so learning it at an early age definitely helps for Zibanejad

I always find it incredibly interesting that Finnish and Hungarian are in the same language group.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I always find it incredibly interesting that Finnish and Hungarian are in the same language group.
When I started my current job and began interacting with Romanians, I assumed the language would be Slavic-based and more like Russian. Instead it's more like Italian or Portugese. It's a romance language and I never would have guessed. The way languages have evolved over time and which languages are derived or descended from which is really fascinating. I had one of those "four hours on Wikipedia" nights recently reading about it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
When I started my current job and began interacting with Romanians, I assumed the language would be Slavic-based and more like Russian. Instead it's more like Italian or Portugese. It's a romance language and I never would have guessed. The way languages have evolved over time and which languages are derived or descended from which is really fascinating. I had one of those "four hours on Wikipedia" nights recently reading about it.

And even still, as different as they are, the Romance languages are part of the same family as the Slavic languages. I miswrote that earlier by the way. Finnish and Hungarian are part of the same family, not the same group, but that family is different than Indo-European which contains the Romance and Slavic.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Feast your eyes on this:

196.jpg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I also want to add that, just because someone is using a translator in an on-camera interview, it doesn't mean they can't speak or understand the language. In many instances it's just a comfort thing for the athlete, where they're on camera and they want to make sure that what they are saying is being correctly recorded by the camera. MLB implemented a program a few years ago where teams were mandated to have at least one Spanish-language interpreter on staff and were given a budget to fill those positions. And the guys using them, anecdotally, had no problems interacting with their English speaking teammates or even giving an interview to a blogger with a notepad. But by having the translator available, they're more comfortable. Cespedes is an example of a guy who used an interpreter for a long while after he became conversationally sound in English. He just didn't want to accidentally say the wrong thing and have it become an issue.

So, again. Don't assume that use of an interpreter in an interview = a lack of ability to communicate in the translated language.

Ichiro used a translator throughout his entire MLB career despite being fluent in English well before the end of it.

Watching interviews with him was actually pretty funny, sometimes he'd answer in Japanese before the translator even had time to start translating what a reporter was asking :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I hate when you guys put me in this position ... driving a thread completely off-topic, but it's so interesting I can't delete it. :laugh:

I have begged for a geography topic several times. In the last few months I have had several interesting discussions with people here about language, geography etc and it was all deleted instead of being moved to a separate OT topic. I am 100% sure you would make several people happy by having a topic for this type of discussion where you can just move the posts rather than deleting them. Just a suggestion

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have begged for a geography topic several times. In the last few months I have had several interesting discussions with people here about language, geography etc and it was all deleted instead of being moved to a separate OT topic. I am 100% sure you would make several people happy by having a topic for this type of discussion where you can just move the posts rather than deleting them. Just a suggestion
I understand where you're coming from, but this is a hockey board. I just looked and 11 of the first 26 active threads carry an OT prefix. That's a lot. I know from experience that if you make a new OT topic for everything that a few people want to discuss, you end up with an insane amount of OT threads (like the weather...Haik, wherever you are...). I'd try starting something in the general OT thread.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I understand where you're coming from, but this is a hockey board. I just looked and 11 of the first 26 active threads carry an OT prefix. That's a lot. I know from experience that if you make a new OT topic for everything that a few people want to discuss, you end up with an insane amount of OT threads (like the weather...Haik, wherever you are...). I'd try starting something in the general OT thread.

Yes. I understand. I just wish they would move the posts to the existing OT thread at the very least. Especially when there’s a good discussion going on with info people put time and effort in to write down. Deleting it seems like such a waste

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
That little map on the right there explains exactly why I find the Fenno-Ugric thing so fascinating. There's very little geographic relationship between where Hungary is and the rest of where the language family is.

Transmigration. Magyars left the Ural Mountains to invade the Carpathian Basin.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Rangers if they can't trade Staal, Smith or Shattenkirk need to buy them out and get rid of them. I would go with 6 young guys if I had to over 3 vets who aren't a part of the future with 3 young guys.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Rangers if they can't trade Staal, Smith or Shattenkirk need to buy them out and get rid of them. I would go with 6 young guys if I had to over 3 vets who aren't a part of the future with 3 young guys.
?????? you want us to be Buffalo/Edmonton 2.0?

Reactions: egelband

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I mean the White Sox were desperate for Harper and Machado and then coincidentally signed Machado's brother-in-law as well as his really close friend. It does happen. The NBA, all those guys go where their friends are so it's a strategy there, too. That's all UFA stuff, though.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if a team was about to draft a star prospect and brought in a guy or two to help the transition. I don't think Kakko needs that, and I don't believe Reunanen was signed for any reason other than he earned a deal.

The concept is still plausible, though.

Plausible yes. It would make sence eitherway so. In short i would'nt mind it at all if this was the reason. But is probably not.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
Kovalev27 said:
You think the NYR who signed him to his entry level deal care what’s happening in Liiga? They’ll do what’s best to get him ready for the NHL. If he continues to play like this in the main camp he’s not going anywhere. He’ll be in Hartford with our coaches. And a phone call away if and when they need him for the varsity

Reunanen heading back to Finland when off season over.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Reunanen heading back to Finland when off season over.

So what was the point of signing him now then instead of next summer? I hope he develops in Hartford. I dont see how he can't. He is an upgrade over guys like Day, Keane and Crawley in my opinion. This makes no sense. I hope he changes his mind and stays to develop in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad