Confirmed with Link: Tarmo Reunanen signs his entry level contract

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
So what was the point of signing him now then instead of next summer? I hope he develops in Hartford. I dont see how he can't. He is an upgrade over guys like Day, Keane and Crawley in my opinion. This makes no sense. I hope he changes his mind and stays to develop in the AHL
I could be wrong but I think they'd lose his rights at some point next summer if they didn't sign him. And last year was the first year in a few years where he had a consistent role and wasn't injured, so I don't think going back for another year on loan is the worst thing in the world for him

Reactions: egelband and AntNYR

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
I could be wrong but I think they'd lose his rights at some point next summer if they didn't sign him. And last year was the first year in a few years where he had a consistent role and wasn't injured, so I don't think going back for another year on loan is the worst thing in the world for him
I think the Rangers would have lost his NHL rights on june 1st 2020 had he remained unsigned. Signing Reunanen this summer was the safe move considering his play last year. Had the Rangers waited Reunanen might have taken the UFA route and chosen another team, especially if he'd have a great 19-20 season in Finland.

As for staying in Finland, like you said, before last year he had trouble with injuries and struggled to take a bigger role. His move to Lukko seemed to almost revitalize his career, and before last season I for one was about to give up on him. Considering the big steps he's taken in just one season, some stability and a familiar environment to develop in might be exactly what the Rangers want for him. Or at least wanted before his performance during training camp.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
When you say "off season", do you mean training camp? If so, then yes, it sounds like Tarmo will go back to Lukko when camp is over, or even before.

Yes, training camp. To my knowledge he stays in the end of the camp and then back to Lukko. Also like i posted earlier, he's deal got clause on it, either NYR or Lukko. I'm confident this is the right move for him, Lukko have good system with young players and Reunanen will be their main man. Great season and he will be close to making to Finland world championchip team also, ofc depends what they are gettin from NHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A bit of a crappy translation, but interesting info:
Sahlstedt vahvistaa: Rangers lähettää Reunasen Hartfordiin - "Todella erikoinen setti"

The announcement caused some confusion in Rauma, as Reunainen is expected to return to Lock if he doesn't fit in the Rangers NHL crew.

However, Kalle Sahlstedt, the sports director of the lock, assures Western Finland that this is not a mistake. Reunanen is really going to Hartford next.

"According to information from my Finnish agent, this is going to go to Hartford to train, somebody with an obsession, training there for two days, and then new information comes," Sahlstedt says.

- A very special set.

In the spring, Reunanen signed a three-year contract with the New York Rangers. However, he had already signed a two-year extension with Luke.

Because Reunanen is also a contract player for Luke, the Rangers can't put him on the farm for this season.
- Cannot inject. That's just rules. There are exactly two options, either the NHL or Rauma Lock, Sahlstedt emphasizes.

Western Finland did not reach Reunasen's agent to comment on the situation.

Could be that they just want him acquainted to HFD before sending him to Finland again if he wants to return.

But I don't understand one thing -- why does Reunanens contract say that he "must" return to Rauma if he doesn't make it in NY? Its one thing to have that option -- but what if he has a change of heart?

The thing is, Lukko Rauma (his team in Finland) isn't even a party to this agreement. I.e. the SPC. A player assigned to a minor organization must report. An Euro-Out Clause gives the player the right to refuse to be assigned. So its like me and @GeorgeKaplan signs a contract stipulating that I must give 10 USD to @Just doink. If I don't do it, GK can enforce the agreement, Just doink can't. An agreement is only enforceable between its parties, Just doink wouldn't be a party to that contract. Just like Lukko isn't a party to the SPC we have with Reunanen. If I and GK have a change of heart, we can of course change our agreement and agree to not give Just doink anything. So even if we have inked a Euro Out Clause with Reunanen unconditionally stating that we cannot assign him to HFD, if he wants to stay, what is Lukko going to do if we assign him to HFD? Raise and objection with Bettman that we aren't complying with Reunanen's SPC? They can of course not do that, its non of their business. In legal terms, they lack standing, as far as I can tell. It should be up to Reunanen if he wants to enforce that clause or not.

From that perspective, the GM Kalle Sahlstedt statement that he "must" return to Lukko since he didn't make the team is odd. I wonder if its correct. And if it is, its the result of some really crappy agent somewhere...

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

ijuka

May 14, 2016
From what I've seen, Lukko's planning on having Reunanen in the Liiga lineup and don't have anyone who could potentially replace him. But I'm really not sure about how the contract works. Can Rauno indeed just decide that he wants to play in AHL instead of Liiga? Does he actually have a Liiga contract?

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
A bit of a crappy translation, but interesting info:
Sahlstedt vahvistaa: Rangers lähettää Reunasen Hartfordiin - "Todella erikoinen setti"

Could be that they just want him acquainted to HFD before sending him to Finland again if he wants to return.

But I don't understand one thing -- why does Reunanens contract say that he "must" return to Rauma if he doesn't make it in NY? Its one thing to have that option -- but what if he has a change of heart?

The thing is, Lukko Rauma (his team in Finland) isn't even a party to this agreement. I.e. the SPC. A player assigned to a minor organization must report. An Euro-Out Clause gives the player the right to refuse to be assigned. So its like me and @GeorgeKaplan signs a contract stipulating that I must give 10 USD to @Just doink. If I don't do it, GK can enforce the agreement, Just doink can't. An agreement is only enforceable between its parties, Just doink wouldn't be a party to that contract. Just like Lukko isn't a party to the SPC we have with Reunanen. If I and GK have a change of heart, we can of course change our agreement and agree to not give Just doink anything. So even if we have inked a Euro Out Clause with Reunanen unconditionally stating that we cannot assign him to HFD, if he wants to stay, what is Lukko going to do if we assign him to HFD? Raise and objection with Bettman that we aren't complying with Reunanen's SPC? They can of course not do that, its non of their business. In legal terms, they lack standing, as far as I can tell. It should be up to Reunanen if he wants to enforce that clause or not.

From that perspective, the GM Kalle Sahlstedt statement that he "must" return to Lukko since he didn't make the team is odd. I wonder if its correct. And if it is, its the result of some really crappy agent somewhere...
To my understanding Liiga and NHL have an (legal) agreement that governs player movement. I can't find details on it, other than reports that such an agreement exists, but I think it's safe to assume that all parties must follow it. So yes, Lukko would have a say in Reunanen / Rangers breaking a contract between Liiga (or IIHF) and NHL. I have nothing to back this up, but I vaguely remember hearing that in certain cases a prospect with a Liiga contract must be offered back to said Liiga team, should he not make the NHL. I think there were conditions based on age and draft position(round) but again, this information might not be correct as I can't find anything to verify it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, there is a transfer agreement in place and the Finnish Association participates. So, all parties would have to abide by the terms and conditions of the transfer agreement. If it is felt that one or more parties are violating the agreement (which to my knowledge has never been made public), then the potentially aggrieved party could seek remedy through the IIHF.

Ultimately, however, the EAC is the player's option to exercise, unless there's some "auto-exercising" language that I'm unfamiliar with. That seems unlikely, though.

What seems more likely is that either Tarmo told Lukko that he would come back if he didn't make the team, or Lukko has a fundamental misunderstanding of how the EAC works. Either way, seems like he'll be here at least a little bit longer.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, there is a transfer agreement in place and the Finnish Association participates. So, all parties would have to abide by the terms and conditions of the transfer agreement. If it is felt that one or more parties are violating the agreement (which to my knowledge has never been made public), then the potentially aggrieved party could seek remedy through the IIHF.

Ultimately, however, the EAC is the player's option to exercise, unless there's some "auto-exercising" language that I'm unfamiliar with. That seems unlikely, though.

What seems more likely is that either Tarmo told Lukko that he would come back if he didn't make the team, or Lukko has a fundamental misunderstanding of how the EAC works. Either way, seems like he'll be here at least a little bit longer.

Correct. EAC can be triggered by the player only and the NHL team can't block it. I am 99% sure the 3 parties involved have discussed what they prefer and Lukko probably knows when Reunanen returns

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can't imagine that going to training camp and playing in a couple of preseason games burns a year of a contract?

As I said in the response about yours, there's no "burning a year off" or "sliding". Reunanen signed the contract in the year of his 21st birthday so the years count regardless of him playing in the NHL or not

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
As alluded above, I believe slide only applies while still draft-eligible, ie not yet 20 by draft guidelines

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Can't imagine that going to training camp and playing in a couple of preseason games burns a year of a contract?

OTOH we have seen entire ELCs burn-up due to just that.

Like Beargloves. Get an ELC, show up at camp and play a few games, poof no more ELC.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Like Beargloves. Get an ELC, show up at camp and play a few games, poof no more ELC.
"Beargloves"... Yeesh. Talk about overrating a prospect. I mean, not like the Rangers have up anything for him, but still. That one really 'failed to launch'.
Just looked him up. Appears he's having a steady career in the KHL. Good luck to him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Incorrect. Bereglazov and the Rangers decided to mutually terminate the contract. That's different and has nothing in common with Reunanen's situation

Reactions: Irishguy42

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Incorrect. Bereglazov and the Rangers decided to mutually terminate the contract. That's different and has nothing in common with Reunanen's situation

Nope, it just went up in flames, poof! Like in those Mission Impossible movies, self destroyed.

(I was just joking)

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
"Beargloves"... Yeesh. Talk about overrating a prospect. I mean, not like the Rangers have up anything for him, but still. That one really 'failed to launch'.
Just looked him up. Appears he's having a steady career in the KHL. Good luck to him.

seems to me the only folks overrating Bereglazov, then wringing their hands,
were the internet posters whose online persona is to always overstate or overreact ....
see also Meskanen, Zamorsky, Stromwall -
all NHL UDFAs, players in their early 20's, looking decent in their home leagues, signed to 'why not' ELCs -

i believe NYR and the scouts saw them all as long-shot 'diamonds in the rough'
gamble a couple NHL ELCs each year, and maybe a couple real players come from it

not much different than Leedahl, Dowzak, Nell, Newell, Elmer, Pedrie, Bodie
[and Raddysh (a one-time UDFA, just wasn't originally signed by NYR, acquired for the bargain price of an extraneous borderline waiver-pickup F)]

or even Vinni, the 1-in-5 to 1-in-10 shot who has had some success as a pro

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->