Tarasenko Is Taking Over

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I'm gonna make a statement that is stupid, but I think relevant.

Name a guy in the league more worthy of winning the Hart then Tarasenko this year to date? 2nd in goals, 4th in points, while being the driving force on one of the best teams in the league, and playing very solid defense.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Really hoping he takes an 8x6.5, but he's deserving of much more. I wouldn't be upset with an 8x8 honestly(provided he ends up with about 40 goals and 80 points). It would be steep considering there are some RFA years in there, but you can't let stars go. Especially stars that are as young, mature, focused, and team oriented as Tarasenko.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Really hoping he takes an 8x6.5, but he's deserving of much more. I wouldn't be upset with an 8x8 honestly(provided he ends up with about 40 goals and 80 points). It would be steep considering there are some RFA years in there, but you can't let stars go. Especially stars that are as young, mature, focused, and team oriented as Tarasenko.

The reason I don't see anything like 8x8 is that the salary jump will be so much. I think he'll be making 8+ on the final years of the term, but there will be a ramping up in the RFA years. I don't imagine a big hold-out over this, though.

Berglund and/or Oshie may be moved (if they haven't already) to fit the salary.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For an 8 year deal, 3 years of $6, 2 years of $7, and 3 years of $8 would equal a $7 million cap hit. It will be tough for him to get a huge cap hit because of the RFA years.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Tarasenko had 1 goal in the first seven games of the season. He's had 19 goals in his last 24 games. That pace for an 82 game season would put him at 65 goals, which just shows how incredible Ovi's 07-08 season was. He was this hot for an entire season. I miss those days of Ovi. Poweplays were more frequent then than they are now, but it's still incredible. Not quite at Hullie's 86 goal season, but pretty damn close considering the era.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The thing I love most about him is he embraces the moment. The bigger the stage, the better he seems to play. JR was on the radio talking about him and said something to the effect of: Vladdy isn't the selfish type at all, as evidenced by his interviews. But he has a demeanor like "follow me guys, I'll carry the team."

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The thing I love most about him is he embraces the moment. The bigger the stage, the better he seems to play. JR was on the radio talking about him and said something to the effect of: Vladdy isn't the selfish type at all, as evidenced by his interviews. But he has a demeanor like "follow me guys, I'll carry the team."

Agreed. It seems like it's been a long time since we have had a player like that.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Tarasenko really doesn't seem like the type of guy who would go for the big bucks. All you need to do is show him a diagram, like this:

More $$$ = hurt team

Less $$$ = help team

"Now you don't want to hurt the team do you Vlad?" :laugh:

Maya Blue

Jan 17, 2013

Name a guy in the league more worthy of winning the Hart then Tarasenko this year to date? 2nd in goals, 4th in points, while being the driving force on one of the best teams in the league, and playing very solid defense.

What's funny is the stupid Yahoo Sports had an article today on the 10 best players in the NHL right now. Tarasenko was nowhere to be found. Doughty was #1 and Kessel was on the list. Ridiculous.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
What's funny is the stupid Yahoo Sports had an article today on the 10 best players in the NHL right now. Tarasenko was nowhere to be found. Doughty was #1 and Kessel was on the list. Ridiculous.

Well, Kessel is better than Tarasenko right now and he's got a very impressive pedigree so it's not surprising.

SaekkiPaelli

Oct 1, 2011

I think he is in the top 5. However, at least Rinne and Giordano(if they make the play-offs) are ahead of him right now.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
So you'd take Kessel for the rest of this season if you had the choice?

No, I would prefer Tarasenko since he is accustomed to our system while Kessel would need to adapt.

Are you saying their is some significant gap between Tarasenko and Kessel? Kessel has been at a point per game pace the last 4 seasons including this year and he has 21 points in 22 playoff games. Until Tarasenko can prove he can perform at a consistent clip, Kessel gets edge. Kessel is a top 5 winger in the NHL and I would love to have him on the Blues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
- I VANT TO HURT BLACK PEOPLE.
- Psst, Vladi, they're blackhawks, not black.
- YES VOT HE SAID

Sounds more like Datsyuk, but with less humor. I think Tarasenko's English is much better than that by now.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So you'd take Kessel for the rest of this season if you had the choice?
Tarasenko has 2 more points than him. And Kessel has already scored 80 points twice.

Tarasenko isn't the best player in the NHL, you know.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Tarasenko has 2 more points than me. And I have already scored 80 points twice.

Tarasenko isn't the best player in the NHL, I am.

ovechkin-takes-a-picture-of-kessel.jpg

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Also even I agree that there the hype train is getting a tiny bit overboard. All I'll say is I'm really glad we have Tarasenko. Hopefully he keeps on doing what he's doing.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Also even I agree that there the hype train is getting a tiny bit overboard. All I'll say is I'm really glad we have Tarasenko. Hopefully he keeps on doing what he's doing.

Most of that hype train is/was on the main board by non-Blues fans. Generally people on here are pretty grounded.

Perhaps Tarasenko has warranted a little bit of a hype train. When's the last time we had a player that generated talk like this? People are just excited. There's no reason to kill their spirit (Not saying you specifically are doing that).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad