Tarasenko Is Taking Over

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If he can continue this pace over 40 games, then I think he could eventually do that, but it would be pushing it.

The skill is there, but we need to see if he can consistently do this over a full season. I probably see more of a 70-90 point production from him, 100+ is very hard in today's game, Stamkos still hasn't hit that.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Leafs fan here. Does anyone think Tarasenko has 100 pt potential?

Uh, do we think he will become the premier offensive player in the league?

I'd like to think its possible....but in reality I doubt he could keep up this kind of level over the course of a season when the other team's game plan is geared toward stopping HIM and his line.

If he got to ppg that would be awesome.

He has a good enough shot, good enough skating and enough hockey smarts that its foolish to place a ceiling on him. But those kinds of projections seem kind of fanatical at this point.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I'll just respond to both posts here.

@bleedblue123

You have to also realize Stamkos plays on a more offensive oriented team and hasn't been that healthy in the last while. He was on a tear last season before his injury, more than on pace for 100.

@2 Minute Minor

Depends on how much Crosby puts up. 100 points wouldn't be the premier if Crosby supersedes that. But I'm seeing hints of that kind of player in Tarasenko. The only thing I think holding him back is how the Blues are built (they're built well, but more defensive than anything else). If you give Tarasenko a premier scoring winger (like a Perry or anyone in between), there's no doubt in my mind he'd be a 100 point player, assuming that his production is sustained throughout the season. Having another elite player on the wings while Tara plays down the middle also takes away from the whole "Stop Tarasenko" game plan, because you'll have people focusing on him, but putting multiple bodies on him takes away players from the other scoring threat you'd have.

Although, I have no idea who the Blues would add as a premier winger for Tara to elevate him to that status, it's cool to think about in theory. To me it's similar to Kessel. Kessel playing with Bozak is an 80-85 point player. Give him a number 1 centre and he breaks 100 points for sure. It's all about talent here, which Tarasenko has. It's just about surrounding him with those players. I'm not even a Blues fan, but it would be pretty cool to see another player besides Crosby reach 100 points this season and if Tara keeps this up he will, but in a nicer fashion because he's so exciting to watch.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Tarasenko is on pace for 101 points, that just shows how hard it is to reach that number. You can have a couple slow stretches like he had early, but you need to follow that up with dominant stretches like he's having currently and you have to be completely consistent in-between. I hope he hits that, but I don't think anyone should expect that type of production in any season.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If Tarasenko puts up 35/35 this year I'll be satisfied. I think that's where he'll hover around for the majority of his career.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

@bleedblue123

You have to also realize Stamkos plays on a more offensive oriented team and hasn't been that healthy in the last while. He was on a tear last season before his injury, more than on pace for 100.

@2 Minute Minor

Depends on how much Crosby puts up. 100 points wouldn't be the premier if Crosby supersedes that. But I'm seeing hints of that kind of player in Tarasenko. The only thing I think holding him back is how the Blues are built (they're built well, but more defensive than anything else). If you give Tarasenko a premier scoring winger (like a Perry or anyone in between), there's no doubt in my mind he'd be a 100 point player, assuming that his production is sustained throughout the season. Having another elite player on the wings while Tara plays down the middle also takes away from the whole "Stop Tarasenko" game plan, because you'll have people focusing on him, but putting multiple bodies on him takes away players from the other scoring threat you'd have.

Although, I have no idea who the Blues would add as a premier winger for Tara to elevate him to that status, it's cool to think about in theory. To me it's similar to Kessel. Kessel playing with Bozak is an 80-85 point player. Give him a number 1 centre and he breaks 100 points for sure. It's all about talent here, which Tarasenko has. It's just about surrounding him with those players. I'm not even a Blues fan, but it would be pretty cool to see another player besides Crosby reach 100 points this season and if Tara keeps this up he will, but in a nicer fashion because he's so exciting to watch.

I don't think he'll get the minutes to realistically get giant points production. The Blues are better off (and have the skilled lines to do this) rolling the top 9. I'm also not sure Schwartz' ceiling isn't close to a Parise. Maybe he's being under-appreciated.

I really don't see how the Blues can afford to bring in an elite offensive threat with the way the team is built salary-wise with the emphasis on elite defense and 2-way play at forward. The salary cap is an issue here.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think he shoudn't care about scoring 100pts, he should care about winning the cup. I mean Towes and Cane aren't even PPG players, but they have the best salary in the league.

If Tarasenko leads Blues to a multiple cups, he'll get whatever he wants, no matter will he be 100 points player or "only" PPG.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

@bleedblue123

@2 Minute Minor

It sounds like you think Tarasenko is a center based on your last two paragraphs. He's a RW.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He only plays down the middle because he cuts in from the wing. That his move and his improved strength and explosiveness to make it extremely hard to defend.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
I think he shoudn't care about scoring 100pts, he should care about winning the cup. I mean Towes and Cane aren't even PPG players, but they have the best salary in the league.

If Tarasenko leads Blues to a multiple cups, he'll get whatever he wants, no matter will he be 100 points player or "only" PPG.

This. Eggzakly This.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

And by all accounts, this is exactly how he feels as well. After a game he, that whole line really, is all about the next game. How many times has Tarasenko said something to the effect of "gotta go back to work tomorrow." He's a natural leader/team first guy. We saw it in WJC a couple years ago and it seems he's brought that same attitude to the NHL with him.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
So combined, close to 100 goals? WOW. A 100 G line.

Who are the hockey gods, and how do I make my sacrifice?
Yep, could be if they stay healthy. Someone may get knicked up at some point.

I dont know, but I can be the interim until you figure that out. Ill take a new Laptop and dont be cheap.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Not a big fan of Apple's overrated and overpriced products made in China. No goals.

MTL is coming up, you need to rethink this sacrifice.

But they are expensivvvvvvvvve. :cry:

Fine, I'll go Windows/Linux dual-boot, and custom build. It will probably be less expensive, but it will work 2x better.

I just hope this translates into less passing and more scoring.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I can't believe a quarter of the way through the season and Frank is in the running for Art Ross consideration. He is right behind Crosby & Stamkos along with Foresburg setting in third place. That is pretty impressive, and totally unexpected from my point of view.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
If he can continue this pace over 40 games, then I think he could eventually do that, but it would be pushing it.

The skill is there, but we need to see if he can consistently do this over a full season. I probably see more of a 70-90 point production from him, 100+ is very hard in today's game, Stamkos still hasn't hit that.

I don't Think Tarasenko is going to get so many assists, playing on the same line as Lehterä. I think he'll peak at about 50 goals and 40-45 assists. 100 points is VERY difficult to achieve in today's game.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't Think Tarasenko is going to get so many assists, playing on the same line as Lehterä. I think he'll peak at about 50 goals and 40-45 assists. 100 points is VERY difficult to achieve in today's game.

True and this is how he's always been when you look at his stats. He'd have to go 50-50 like Heatley did in Ottawa. The entire STL line would have to hit another level for him to hit that even once IMO.

His point range will probably be 70-90.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Does anyone think Tarasenko has 100 pt potential?

I think those expectations are a tad too lofty for anyone not named Crosby, Malkin or Stamkos right now. Guys like Giroux, Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Perry and Getzlaf aren't even at the 95-100 point level today. But I think Tarasenko has the talent to be an 80-85 point player who scores 35-40 goals. In today's NHL those are some top-notch digits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad