Tarasenko Is Taking Over

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Well, Kessel is better than Tarasenko right now and he's got a very impressive pedigree so it's not surprising.

I disagree.

Tarasenko is a more complete player that Kessel. He's more dominant all-around and contributes more to his team's success. There's no way I would take Kessel over Tarasenko on my team. None.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The reason Tarasenko generates such hype is the types of goals he scores. He scores in huge moments, and many of them are perfect snipes, or the result of ridiculous dangling through traffic. He's definitely one of the top three most exciting(note I didn't say best) forwards in the league. He doesn't score many 'boring' goals(for lack of a better term in mind.)

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
The reason Tarasenko generates such hype is the types of goals he scores. He scores in huge moments, and many of them are perfect snipes, or the result of ridiculous dangling through traffic. He's definitely one of the top three most exciting(note I didn't say best) forwards in the league. He doesn't score many 'boring' goals(for lack of a better term in mind.)

Not only that, but he is ultra aggressive when he has the puck, darts into holes or battles in the corners. He isn't a "floater" who just happens to find a spot on the ice and fires the puck. He seizes the opportunity and creates. He has that Rocket/Bure/Crosby mentality when he gets the puck and charges... he won't be denied. He also backchecks like a demon.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Tarasenko deserves the hype no doubt. But I've seen people saying they would easily take him over Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Kessel, I think I even saw Malkin. I don't think I'm ready to put him on that level. Soon probably, but not quite yet. Apparently that makes me an "unintelligent homer" (or anti-homer? I give up)

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
All I know is 29 other team's fans are jealous. Some still assume it's a hot streak, but I see nothing to indicate that. In all seriousness, if Seguin has a lull or injury it's not hard to imagine Vlad having a shot at the Richard this year.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Tarasenko deserves the hype no doubt. But I've seen people saying they would easily take him over Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Kessel, I think I even saw Malkin. I don't think I'm ready to put him on that level. Soon probably, but not quite yet. Apparently that makes me an "unintelligent homer" (or anti-homer? I give up)

I agree that it's silly to say that. If we're factoring contracts, I could see the case as the production we are getting from him on an ELC is incredibly valuable. To say he is clearly better than any of those players is absurd though.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Future projections would be the only reason why I'd take him over Ovie and Datsyuk. Kessel is something and I'd love to have him...but Vladi is a better overall player, offensively, Kessel is still ahead. Sorry but Malkin is Malkin...long ways to go before Vladi is close.

I know me personally would keep Vladi, since the Blues drafted him and he's home grown

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Right and I agree that most of those statements are absurd, especially the Malkin one. But if I recall most, not all, of those statements were started on the main board by non-Blues fans.

I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone on our board who is a regular poster say that he is better than Malkin or anything like that.

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Put me in the camp of would take Frank over Ovechkin or Kessel. Not based on future projections, he is outperforming them NOW, and its not crazy for one to firmly believe at this point that he won't slow down barring injury.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Right now you easily take him over Dats and Ovi (for the career and even for the season - Datsyuk is too injury prone, and Ovechkin nowadays isn't Ovi of the past). And a lot of people would take him over Kessel. But as to Malkin, you of course take Geno 12 times out of 10.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I mostly kind of agree with you all. But I'd still like to see him perform at a PPG pace for a little longer before I pick him over some of these guys who have been PPG many times in their career (obviously taking into consideration age/contract is a whole other issue tough)

Again I am not trying to take away from what he's done because he has certainly been downright incredible

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
All I know is 29 other team's fans are jealous. Some still assume it's a hot streak, but I see nothing to indicate that. In all seriousness, if Seguin has a lull or injury it's not hard to imagine Vlad having a shot at the Richard this year.

Amen to that! As a Islanders fan I would kill to have this guy. I disagree with the hot streak though. I think most fans do know that he is the real deal and not just on a hot streak! I predicted 42 goals from him before the season started and am starting to think I low balled him! He is exciting to watch and I look forward to watching him destroy the Kings again tonight! Enjoy him Blues fans!

LUF

Mar 24, 2007
Tarasenko deserves the hype no doubt. But I've seen people saying they would easily take him over Ovechkin
fc8f6fcb523463de5b60ad3e618a8212.gif

A
N
Y

T
I
M
E

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow

I would take him over Ovechkin and Kessel. Not a shot at them, Ovechkin in his prime was in my eyes the best player of the 00's pure beast I don't think we will ever see a player like that again. This Ovechkin is a different player, at a different stage in his career. He has a great shot, and eye for goal but he no longer dominates games as his style has change immensely to preserve career longevity. Kessel is a great player, however Tarasenko just does all the little things better.

Honestly, what a steal in the draft. I think Kuznetsov would have been this explosive too, probably drafted by the wrong team.

So happy to see Blues have a potential elite player:yo:

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis

Agreed. HF in a nutshell. On the flipside too, people don't seem to understand that a player of lesser stature or ability even can perform better in a given year than the more established, more skilled player.

It is truly all or nothing on the main boards.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

I'm eating Crow here, I came here to admit it. I've watched him here and there all season and I kinda held little more stock in his streak than I did in Steens last year. Well I caught the last 2 blues games and I'm currently watching the Encore on NHL network vs to Rangers... This guy is just amazing, one of the top 5 electrifying players in the league right now. I think he will be at or around PPG by years end. 75-82 points, 40-45 goals

Also, I didn't realize how big the kid was, I thought he was a 190er

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I would take him over Ovechkin and Kessel. Not a shot at them, Ovechkin in his prime was in my eyes the best player of the 00's pure beast I don't think we will ever see a player like that again. This Ovechkin is a different player, at a different stage in his career. He has a great shot, and eye for goal but he no longer dominates games as his style has change immensely to preserve career longevity. Kessel is a great player, however Tarasenko just does all the little things better.

Honestly, what a steal in the draft. I think Kuznetsov would have been this explosive too, probably drafted by the wrong team.

So happy to see Blues have a potential elite player:yo:

It is a tough call to tak him over OVY or Kessel. He's not better than those guys yet, he could be as soon as next year if he continues to establish himself. I think I would take him based on his age, contract and potential. But to call him better than those guys right now isn't fair to the body of work.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm eating Crow here, I came here to admit it. I've watched him here and there all season and I kinda held little more stock in his streak than I did in Steens last year. Well I caught the last 2 blues games and I'm currently watching the Encore on NHL network vs to Rangers... This guy is just amazing, one of the top 5 electrifying players in the league right now. I think he will be at or around PPG by years end. 75-82 points, 40-45 goals

Also, I didn't realize how big the kid was, I thought he was a 190er

He's still a little inconsistent, in that he doesn't assert himself as much as he can, and sometimes tries to make plays that aren't there. When he makes a mistake, its most often trying to force a pass (and take advantage of the defense keying too much on Tarasenko). But I view these as games/shifts where he's still growing and learning, not a lower basal level of play punctuated by a hot streak.

The main reason you can say its not a hot streak is simply his shot coupled with his hockey sense. That shot isn't going to go away. His accuracy is about what its always been.

Its nice to see fans around the league slowly coming around to recognizing that Tarasenko has the ingredients to be a superstar in the NHL. I'll be the first to admit, as a Blues fan, that he has to prove it before he deserves any credit. But the thing I find so exciting is that he has the tools to do that. Even when the Blues have had good seasons, this is the first time there has been a player that I watch every shift.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think Vladi is deserving of all the hype he gets. He's got a fantastic head on his shoulders and you couldn't ask for a better mentality from a young star. The kid could win an MVP and he'd still say he has work to do and he can be better. Love it. The future seems so bright with him, Jaden, Fabbri, Pie, Shatty, and Allen.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
It is a tough call to tak him over OVY or Kessel. He's not better than those guys yet, he could be as soon as next year if he continues to establish himself. I think I would take him based on his age, contract and potential. But to call him better than those guys right now isn't fair to the body of work.
Dude I so agree with that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I still get chills watching Vladi on that......Ovechkin's goal is sick, but that Forsberg finish is what truly puts Vladi in the another catagory. The speed that he did this goal at is absolutely elite, very little luck was involved in that goal.

Also his reaction...business as usual lol. Kid just pulled off a GOTY and he didn't even care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad