Player Discussion Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks may have something in Pearson....had productive years in L.A. and won a Cup, but game completely imploded this season. But then LA. completely sucked this year and they were coached by Willie, so he gets a pass. Not sure what happened in Pittsburgh, other than the fact that he might have been ill-equipped for the role of third-fourth line winger on a team with a lot of speedy forwards.

But he fits in nicely with the Canucks. A bigger bodied forward who wins his share of board battles and has formed some real down-low chemistry with Bo. Above all else, can get to the net for garbage goals and deflections. And still only 26, so he's not an older player by any means.

I know some will discount his offense in garbage time, but he showed a lot more than Virtanen, Goldy, Spooner or any other winger not named Boeser.

Reactions: Var

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks may have something in Pearson....had productive years in L.A. and won a Cup, but game completely imploded this season. But then LA. completely sucked this year and they were coached by Willie, so he gets a pass. Not sure what happened in Pittsburgh, other than the fact that he might have been ill-equipped for the role of third-fourth line winger on a team with a lot of speedy forwards.

But he fits in nicely with the Canucks. A bigger bodied forward who wins his share of board battles and has formed some real down-low chemistry with Bo. Above all else, can get to the net for garbage goals and deflections. And still only 26, so he's not an older player by any means.

I know some will discount his offense in garbage time, but he showed a lot more than Virtanen, Goldy, Spooner or any other winger not named Boeser.

All true, but would you trade him fo s high second? I know I would.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Of course we’re happy about the emergence of Pearson. He’s not the play driving winger that we really need though. If we could trade him for a second I would in a heartbeat, just to get that small chance to draft that much needed core piece. That’s not saying Pearson is bad. He’s actually a good player.

If it's an early 2nd I'd listen. Unfortunately, I think Benning has missed the window to acquire picks that can realistically help the Canucks current young core (Unless they get real lucky). That doesn't mean I don't think the Canucks shouldn't look to acquire picks but they have to use the right players to do so. For me Pearson is one player I'd like to keep around as a supporting piece. There are other players that should be shopped for picks

Reactions: Luckylarry

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Dont be surprised if Pearson gets a call from Team Canada.

He definitely looks like a core player.

If nothing else he will return something at a trade deadline worth more than Guddy. Hes a scoring winger that has won a cup.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If it's an early 2nd I'd listen. Unfortunately, I think Benning has missed the window to acquire picks that can realistically help the Canucks current young core (Unless they get real lucky). That doesn't mean I don't think the Canucks shouldn't look to acquire picks but they have to use the right players to do so. For me Pearson is one player I'd like to keep around as a supporting piece. There are other players that should be shopped for picks

That’s s good point about needing those picks over the last few drafts as opposed to now. I see your point that guys drafted outside of the top few picks often need several years to develop, and by then our current young core’s window will likely be closed.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Better than grandlund and a decent winger for horvat, could still use a big upgrade but he's been better than expected

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
He had a nice end to the year, but he's not going to maintain a 21% shooting percentage with the Canucks. Despite his low points total, this late flurry has him at the 2nd highest goal total of his career at 18.

Realistic expectations are likely 35-45 points, 15-20 goals next year while playing on the 2nd line with Horvat + 2nd unit PP time. He's a decent middle-6 guy, but he can't be the 4th best forward on this team next year unless we're tanking again.

Reactions: Luckylarry

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Being traded twice in a season can be a wakeup call. I am hoping that Pearson's resurgence here alongside Horvat is for real. With Baertschi's health being a big question ? having a productive and healthy Pearson here would be a big help.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Really liking this acquisition . He’s a proven 20 goal guy and I think we should expect 20 from him next year.

Ideally he’s a third line guy so I hope we can acquire a legit winger like panarin still .

I also think leivo and Pearson combined make Virtanen redundant. I think selling Jake now would be a good time to do so.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I just like the fact that this guy can go hot late in the season. I remember in the Kings cup run, he was very effective, and the Carter Toffoli Pearson line was a possession monster. For whatever reason he started off the season ice cold, gradually gained traction in Pittsburgh until their whole blue line moved into IR and he was sacrificed to us for Guddy. I believe he can be a 20/25 guy on Horvats wing next year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Gudbranson always was, and always will be a 'complimentary d-man'. He's never going to be the 'top-four' guy Benning thought he was acquiring. But I'm still not surprised his play has picked up dramatically in Pittsburgh. The Pens are actually a 'puck possession' team.

All the guy has to do is win a puck battle and pass it to somebody like Crosby or Malkin....and presto, zone exits are easy. On the Canucks, I lose track of the number of times the forwards get the puck to within a foot of blueline, but can't get it out. Than the endless 'spin cycle' in the Canuck zone starts all over again.

I don't know if it's Green's system they just can't play....but it seems to me the Canucks d-men end up eating the puck with their face pressed up against the glass, or just throwing it out of the zone desperately.

But I guess that's the problem when you're just a bad hockey team. At any given time, just about anybody in the lineup is going to look bad.
He can win puck battles?

That is news to me... Im baffled that he has been decent for the pens tbh. I would have to watch a game and just follow what he is doing to understand how this is possible. I did that once with thr Canucks, never again.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Screenshot_20190407_072600.jpg
TP mostly played with Malkin and/or Kessel in pit.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Really liking this acquisition . He’s a proven 20 goal guy and I think we should expect 20 from him next year.

Ideally he’s a third line guy so I hope we can acquire a legit winger like panarin still .

I also think leivo and Pearson combined make Virtanen redundant. I think selling Jake now would be a good time to do so.

Pearson only had one 20 goal season. Don't think that is proven.

Yes I hope those two make Virtanen redundant too. I think Benning kind of gave up on Virtanen and he will be traded this off-season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I just like the fact that this guy can go hot late in the season. I remember in the Kings cup run, he was very effective, and the Carter Toffoli Pearson line was a possession monster. For whatever reason he started off the season ice cold, gradually gained traction in Pittsburgh until their whole blue line moved into IR and he was sacrificed to us for Guddy. I believe he can be a 20/25 guy on Horvats wing next year.

Pearson was reportedly playing with a fractured thumb for a month while with the Penguins. It was very much a write off season until he got to Vancouver.

He has scored 24 goals before so he's capable of doing so. But his last two seasons hasn't really been good yet he has managed to put up 15+ goals. It does look like that if he manages to stay healthy he can put up solid 2nd line production.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
View attachment 210143 TP mostly played with Malkin and/or Kessel in pit.

Just read this on The Athletties:

“I didn’t feel good in Pittsburgh, it was about stickhandling for me and shooting the puck. The legs have been fine all year,” Pearson said.
“I had a month span, actually longer, where I could not feel my hand at all when I was playing.
“I played through it and no one (outside the team) knew until the end.
“It was a broken thumb and I had to get it frozen before games. It was weird because I couldn’t feel my top hand so I never felt like I had a full grip of my stick.

Reactions: VIPettersson

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
This year. Who knows what those players are next year. Is this a blip for Markstrom and he goes back to average? Does Pearson over a full season play more like the player in Pittsburgh? After a couple injuries is Roussel gonna be the same player? Can Stecher and Demko continue to get better or will they stagnate?

Just saying, oh yea we good with these players is disingenious at best.
You could ask the same questions about any other team. Nobody knows who is going to have a bad or good season, you are right.

Of course we’re happy about the emergence of Pearson. He’s not the play driving winger that we really need though. If we could trade him for a second I would in a heartbeat, just to get that small chance to draft that much needed core piece. That’s not saying Pearson is bad. He’s actually a good player.
I would not trade a second for Pearson. He was a back to back 40 point player before this season started. Boeser, Horvat, and Pettersson were the only forwards with 40+ points on this team this season. Not to mention, Pearson is a healthy player, he's played 79+ games every season since 2014-15. That is especially, something we have to consider because our roster is full of glass players (Baertschi, Sutter, Tanev, Edler).

He played on the 2nd line when he won a Stanley Cup. That's good enough to be a 1st line player on our team. Not every player in your top 6 needs to be a "play driver", I'd say you need 3-4 play drivers in your top 6. Look at the Kings, Capitals, Pens. You can really only afford 3-4 because those players are elite level and you still have to pay your defencemen. That's why the Leafs won't win unless they move someone like Nylander, no cap for defence. Marner, Matthews, and Tavares is enough "play drivers".

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Just read this on The Athletties:

“I didn’t feel good in Pittsburgh, it was about stickhandling for me and shooting the puck. The legs have been fine all year,” Pearson said.
“I had a month span, actually longer, where I could not feel my hand at all when I was playing.
“I played through it and no one (outside the team) knew until the end.
“It was a broken thumb and I had to get it frozen before games. It was weird because I couldn’t feel my top hand so I never felt like I had a full grip of my stick.
What is the point in playing through that with several months to go before playoffs?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He's played well to round out the season. Let's hope he starts strong next season, he's a great fit for Bo on the wing if he can keep playing like this, even if his SH% drops (which it will).

In a perfect world he is part of our 3rd line, ready to step up the lineup when injuries happen.

But need to jettison garbage from our bottom 6 and add talent on top for that to be possible.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
In a perfect world he is part of our 3rd line, ready to step up the lineup when injuries happen.

But need to jettison garbage from our bottom 6 and add talent on top for that to be possible.

I mean he was a 2nd liner on a cup winning team. It's not unreasonable to think that he could be a genuine 2nd line player.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Welp, I think the people (like y2k) who were angrily insisting that they would rather have had a 6th round pick in the Gudbranson trade rather than Pearson need to tentatively eat a bit of crow here. 9 goals in 19 games is pretty solid. 20 goals is not at all an unreasonable expectation for next year, and that's legit top 6 production. (by definition there are 186 "top 6" forwards in the NHL, but only about 100 forwards got 20 goals or more this year).

Reactions: mriswith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad