Player Discussion Tanner Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Leivo should 100% not be in the Top 6 next year. Dude was spoon fed PP1 and Pettersson + Boeser minutes and put up 6 points in 25 games down the stretch. Also he’ll be 26 next season, he’s not gonna be progressing anymore, he is what he is, a fringe NHLer.

Pearson should start the year next to Horvat though.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Leivo should 100% not be in the Top 6 next year. Dude was spoon fed PP1 and Pettersson + Boeser minutes and put up 6 points in 25 games down the stretch. Also he’ll be 26 next season, he’s not gonna be progressing anymore, he is what he is, a fringe NHLer.

Yeah maybe your right on Leivo,

XX Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat XX
Roussell Gaudette Leivo
Clamato Beagle Virtanen
Eriksson

I guess Baertchi will be pencilled in somewhere there

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Except Dustin Brown, who had the best season of his career last year at 33. And Justin Williams, who had his best season in 6 or 7 years this year at 37. And Jake Muzzin, who's having his best season in 4 years at 30 and went for a 1st+ at the deadline. The players from that team who regressed mostly aged out, and many of them, even ones who couldn't skate well, continued to contribute.

I agree on Muzzin and Williams.

Browns season was a statistical anomaly.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
His shooting percentage may not be sustainable but next to Bo I think he will hover around the 20 goal pace over the course of a season. I think the makes for an okay stopgap winger on that line or at least an improved trade value of what Gudbranson was. Of course Pearson could always flop again with his terrible skating, I'm guessing he will turn out to be a useful stopgap/trade asset.

He's normally been good for around 30-35 ES points, good 3rd ES line points though he's less likely to get that many there, passable 2nd line ES points if lower end. Ideally he's on the 3rd line and used as a injury fill in on the 2nd line.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He's normally been good for around 30-35 ES points, good 3rd ES line points though he's less likely to get that many there, passable 2nd line ES points if lower end. Ideally he's on the 3rd line and used as a injury fill in on the 2nd line.

What do you see / Whst has your research shown to be 1st & 2nd line 5on5 point production rates?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I like Levi is think he is a legitimate NHL player. It doesn't look like he's a viable top 6 option in the NHL but he has a good shot, can drive possession and is more than solid defensively.

Pearson is in a different class mainly because he has proven himself as a solid to good complimentary player alongside star players. Basically he is like Chris Higgins with slightly higher offensive upside at the same stage in their Canucks' careers.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I like Levi is think he is a legitimate NHL player. It doesn't look like he's a viable top 6 option in the NHL but he has a good shot, can drive possession and is more than solid defensively.

Pearson is in a different class mainly because he has proven himself as a solid to good complimentary player alongside star players. Basically he is like Chris Higgins with slightly higher offensive upside at the same stage in their Canucks' careers.

Higgins was lowkey fast though, he had the best boardplay of any Canuck I have ever seen and had a great touch around the net.

If he was more skilled, had a better shot and played with more skilled players (i.e not Kesler) he probably could have had a couple of all star seasons

Reactions: B-rock

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Higgins was lowkey fast though, he had the best boardplay of any Canuck I have ever seen and had a great touch around the net.

If he was more skilled, had a better shot and played with more skilled players (i.e not Kesler) he probably could have had a couple of all star seasons

I don't think Higgins was any faster than Pearson as a Canuck. My point is that I think they are similar players. Higgins did once score 27 goals but he wasn't that player as a Canuck so I do see Pearson as having more offensive upside than the Canucks' version of Higgins.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't think Higgins was any faster than Pearson as a Canuck. My point is that I think they are similar players. Higgins did once score 27 goals but he wasn't that player as a Canuck so I do see Pearson as having more offensive upside than the Canucks' version of Higgins.

Oh he absolutely was faster.

Reactions: VintageBure

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

XX Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat XX
Leivo Gaudette Virtanen
Clamato Beagle Eriksson

Thoughts on if/where Roussel / Goldobin fit? Assuming Schaller's written off or is the 13th forward here?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Thoughts on if/where Roussel / Goldobin fit? Assuming Schaller's written off or is the 13th forward here?
O yeah forgot about Roussell. EDITED

I imagine Goldobin will bolt back to Russia or will be traded for a 5th round pick

Schaller will be waved and sent to Utica im guessing

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if pearson can sustain his scoring he's a top line guy. his pdo suggests he's closer to that than what he was in la to start the season, but i think the truth is in the middle.

i think pearson, virtanen and leivo are middle six big bodies with skill who can score and may get hot and will grind it out otherwise. they're exactly the kind of supporting wingers you want on your roster for post season. roussel i would put a tier down on expectations in spite of this season. schaller either bounces back big time or will be waived out of training camp.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Pearson, Leivo, Roussel - These three players are actually very good third liners. I think you'll get meaningful contributions from them. They will help you win games, as opposed to Motte, Granlund, Goldobin, Beagle. etc.

If the Canucks can sign a legit top 6 winger for Horvat, and if you keep those above guys in your bottom six, you have the making for a real good team.
Add Gaudette, Virtanen to the bottom six and you're still good.

Reactions: Oliewud

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

If you want a build a team that plays the hard, fast game that Travis Green wants then you only have room for one of Leivo or Pearson in your top 6. At the moment I'm in favour of Pearson, but ideally both would be moved for someone faster/more skilled.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Pearson, Leivo, Roussel - These three players are actually very good third liners. I think you'll get meaningful contributions from them. They will help you win games, as opposed to Motte, Granlund, Goldobin, Beagle. etc.

If the Canucks can sign a legit top 6 winger for Horvat, and if you keep those above guys in your bottom six, you have the making for a real good team.
Add Gaudette, Virtanen to the bottom six and you're still good.
I agree on all points except for Pearson. I think he should play on the second (or first) line with Bo. He has a hockey IQ higher than the others you mentioned which separates him.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I agree on all points except for Pearson. I think he should play on the second (or first) line with Bo. He has a hockey IQ higher than the others you mentioned which separates him.
if he keeps his scoring up...then i fully agree. But his sample size with the Canucks is too small to gift a spot in the top 6.
Assuming the Canucks find a winger for Horvat then you have two more winger spots in the top 6 to fill. You give one to Baertschi if he's healthy. then Pettersson's LW spot is remaining. Like i said, if Pearson keeps scoring, then he could slide into there.....i just really like the idea of having a bottom size of Virtanen, Roussel, Leivo, Pearson, Gaudette.

Reactions: Hit the post

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
if he keeps his scoring up...then i fully agree. But his sample size with the Canucks is too small to gift a spot in the top 6.
Assuming the Canucks find a winger for Horvat then you have two more winger spots in the top 6 to fill. You give one to Baertschi if he's healthy. then Pettersson's LW spot is remaining. Like i said, if Pearson keeps scoring, then he could slide into there.....i just really like the idea of having a bottom size of Virtanen, Roussel, Leivo, Pearson, Gaudette.
Can’t count on the guys who have not stayed healthy. So, Leivo likely gets time in the top 6 at some point. Any starting lineup won’t be intact with how frequently they get hurt.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I'm hoping he has a good year next year and he can get us picks at the deadline. But it's Benning though so that will never happen.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Pearson led the Canucks in goals since coming over at TDL.

He says he played through an injury in La/Pitt which hampered him.

I fully expect this guy to be a 20+ goal scorer for the Canucks.

Great trade !

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pearson seems like a fine 2 LW and has chemistry with Horvat. It's that top line that needs a scoring 1 LW And a 2 RW.

Pearson for Gud might have been one of the better crap for crap trades in recent memory for both parties.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Arguably Benning's best trade. I see him as a 20G - 25A player next year which puts him in our top 6 easily.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Meh, one 20 goal season, an outlier in his career. Dreadful skater in a game that's as fast as it's ever been.

One 20 goal season, but it wasn't exactly a massive jump. He's a 15-20 goal guy. That's all he is, and I hate it when Canucks fans treat every bottom 6 pickup as the next burrows. That said, I look at Pearson/Leivo/Gaudette and see the makings of a pretty solid 3rd line.

And at the time the most anyone expressed was a mild interest in possibly resigning him, because due to age and history that production was understood to be unsustainable, whereas Pearson is young and has consistently been a 15-20 goal winger his entire career. The two situations are clearly different and drawing a simple parallel between them doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure you understand all of this. Also, no one here has suggested Pearson is likely to continue scoring at this rate.

Expressing optimism about a specific event or player, or even just failing to find some way to express pessimism about it, does not undermine justified pessimism about other parts of the team or about the team in general.
He's young enough to have lots of time left but he's got a cup ring.

Tanner Pearson and Josh Leivo have been great pickups this year. In a bubble Pearson makes too much, but when you consider his value to the team and what he was traded for, it is very important contextually. I'll take it.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018

XX Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat XX
Roussell Gaudette Leivo
Clamato Beagle Virtanen
Eriksson

Virtanen deserves better than the 4th line.

Horvat is gonna play with garbage wingers until he's 30, isn't he. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->