Rumor: Tanner Glass Retires/Joins NYR Front Office

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
'team shouldn't fix a problem' - where did I say this?

Either Glass was a problem big enough to address (and in turn discuss on the board) or he wasn't. Were you not arguing the latter?

'people shouldn't complain' - they should, but when does it get to be too much and at the expense of much larger issues.

Like what? Not having a franchise centerman? Trading away 4 years of 1st rounders for a shot at the cup that never materialized? Poor selections in key drafts like Jessiman and McIlrath? Everything involving Nash?

Which of these big problems did we ignore in favor of discussing Glass?

And which of these can be fixed by one man making one non-asinine personnel decision?

That's the reason Glass got so much discussion. Because it would have taken no time or effort to fix and yet AV just ignored the problem or worse didn't realize there was a problem.

If I went to dinner with a friend who, by the end of his meal, had his face covered completely in food I would probably ask him to clean his face. If he dove into a truly depressing story about how he has gout, his wife left him and his cat just died, I would listen patiently and then ask him again, despite his other more serious and pressing concerns, to wipe his f***ing face before I lost my mind. And who knows, sometimes small problem are symptoms of larger systemic problems that need to be addressed. I dont know if his improper hygiene killed his cat, but it couldn't have helped his marriage.

Fedyk and Toms were borderline comedic side stories, not the everyday main attractions like the TG threads became.

Eh, I don't know. Fedyk and Toms were railed about constantly. It might be comical now, but it wasn't then. I think Glass is a horrendous hockey player but I don't despise the man the way people on the board in the Dark Ages seemed to despise Fedyk and Toms. Hell, they hated Poti more than anyone hated Glass and Poti was 4000x the hockey player Glass was. There is some hypocrisy there.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I really like Tanner Glass, the man. I thought he gave it his best out there and worked his ass off, stuck up for his boys and from what I gather was a great dude to have around in the room.

The problem when he was here wasn't him or his play, it was the coach who mis-used him.

Misusing Glass was definitely the problem. But there was no way to properly use Glass that involved him taking a regular shift in the NHL because his play was terrible.

So it was really both.

Reactions: jas

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Its comical how the hate about Glass' shortcomings as a player manifests itself. He seemed to be a great guy who was really liked by his teammates and the organization. He also went to Harvard. Any snide remarks towards this is childish rubbish.

Reactions: Bluenote13

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Its comical how the hate about Glass' shortcomings as a player manifests itself. He seemed to be a great guy who was really liked by his teammates and the organization. He also went to Harvard. Any snide remarks towards this is childish rubbish.

Dartmouth, but yeah any suggestion he can't handle an organizational role because he wasn't a good player on the ice is ridiculous.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hell, they hated Poti more than anyone hated Glass and Poti was 4000x the hockey player Glass was. There is some hypocrisy there.
Hit 'em with your purse Poti?
Dartmouth, but yeah any suggestion he can't handle an organizational role because he wasn't a good player on the ice is ridiculous
And that is saying something, considering how many ridiculous suggestions we have seen over the years. Decades really, but who's counting?

Reactions: McRanger

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Either Glass was a problem big enough to address (and in turn discuss on the board) or he wasn't. Were you not arguing the latter?

Like what? Not having a franchise centerman? Trading away 4 years of 1st rounders for a shot at the cup that never materialized? Poor selections in key drafts like Jessiman and McIlrath? Everything involving Nash?

Which of these big problems did we ignore in favor of discussing Glass?

And which of these can be fixed by one man making one non-asinine personnel decision?

That's the reason Glass got so much discussion. Because it would have taken no time or effort to fix and yet AV just ignored the problem or worse didn't realize there was a problem.

If I went to dinner with a friend who, by the end of his meal, had his face covered completely in food I would probably ask him to clean his face. If he dove into a truly depressing story about how he has gout, his wife left him and his cat just died, I would listen patiently and then ask him again, despite his other more serious and pressing concerns, to wipe his ****ing face before I lost my mind. And who knows, sometimes small problem are symptoms of larger systemic problems that need to be addressed. I dont know if his improper hygiene killed his cat, but it couldn't have helped his marriage.

Eh, I don't know. Fedyk and Toms were railed about constantly. It might be comical now, but it wasn't then. I think Glass is a horrendous hockey player but I don't despise the man the way people on the board in the Dark Ages seemed to despise Fedyk and Toms. Hell, they hated Poti more than anyone hated Glass and Poti was 4000x the hockey player Glass was. There is some hypocrisy there.
Printing this off, framing it, and putting it on my wall.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I like this hiring.

The top picks usually have a full staff to help with everything, but for a late round teenager getting drafted there will be tons of questions regarding the the way to the NHL. To have a experienced ex-player that took the long way to the show visiting from time to time will help that process. These developing choaches will help our long shot prospect build a bridge to the Rangers, and help them draw on the full capabilities of the big club to be as good players as they can possible be. Having a trusted person they can ask questions for anything from game issues to training to diet to mentality should help them a long way.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Tom Poti, seriously???

That guy cost us our best your forward, a draft pick, and played many minutes as a regular. The crap he got was justified and nothing like Tanner Glass.

Not a good comparison to hang on anyones wall.....

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
A generational ranger for me. Jersey Should be retired to the rafters. That game 1 goal against Carey Price cemented him as an all time Ranger legend

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Tom Poti, seriously???

That guy cost us our best your forward, a draft pick, and played many minutes as a regular. The crap he got was justified and nothing like Tanner Glass.

Not a good comparison to hang on anyones wall.....
Counterpoint: None of that was Poti’s fault

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Tom Poti facts:
- Last Ranger defenseman to score 48 points.
- Led the Rangers in blocked shots every year it was tracked.
- His team made the playoffs every year of his career after the lockout averaging 22:23 per game.
- Way better than Mike York.

The disrespect some Ranger "fans" have for this man is despicable.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Counterpoint: None of that was Poti’s fault
Yes, anyone with the capacity for logic would immediately recognize that if it's wrong to blame Glass for the ice time he was given, it's obviously wrong to blame Poti for the ice time he was given and the hard-working young forward (who would go on to show no commitment to conditioning) and the 4th round pick he was traded for.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Your post doesn't even make sense, did you have a stroke lol.

Why would Glass only be advising 6th round picks unless I'm misunderstanding.
We'll see how he does with the 6ths, THEN we'll move him up to the 4th round picks.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Tom Poti facts:
- His team made the playoffs every year of his career after the lockout averaging 22:23 per game.

Poti had a better season his first year with the Rangers than York ever did again and he still got booed mercilessly because Ranger fans have trouble keeping track of what decade it is.

It's funny, Glass versus Poti is pretty much sums up hockey fan insanity. We love guys who are terrible but have heart and earnestly scramble about aimlessly while at the same time we despise players who are significantly better but dont play physical enough or <insert how we want them to play>.

I <3 hockey.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Your post doesn't even make sense, did you have a stroke lol.

Why would Glass only be advising 6th round picks unless I'm misunderstanding.
The 6th rounder was just a random example because Glass' career was far greater than a large majority of 6th round picks. You want to come here and make a snide dumb remark then I'll happily point out how you are wrong lol

He clearly isn't going to Vitali Kravstov and teaching him how to play the game

But the point of your post was to just troll anyway

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
No, I straight up think Glass was an awful player despite his 500 games long career.
He still played a ton more than a huge majority of players drafted and I'm sure they'd value his insights into the league, him camaraderie, and his understanding

Sorry that that is too much for you to grasp, maybe you should stick to your own forum

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Tom Poti facts:

Forgot to mention he was allergic to pretty much everything!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He still played a ton more than a huge majority of players drafted and I'm sure they'd value his insights into the league, him camaraderie, and his understanding

Sorry that that is too much for you to grasp, maybe you should stick to your own forum

Yikes, had no idea I was on the Rangers forum...I saw this thread pop up in 'recent threads' on the sidebar and thought it was in the main NHL forum. I'm an idiot.

Sorry folks

Reactions: sbjnyc

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

So every player that has ever laced it up for an NHL game is immune to criticism (unless they’re lazy, or not physical or Russian or something) because they are better than most fans?

Checks out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3