Rumor: Tanner Glass Retires/Joins NYR Front Office

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
That unwarranted crap that he took from some people on this board is unbelievable. Most coming from people who weren't here during the dark years.

I'm fine with this hiring and don't think on-ice play (or even playing at all) has much impact on a person's potential for a successful management career.

That being said, Glass was a horrendous hockey player, who time and again was put into our lineup when better options were available. I was undoubtedly one to lay loads of criticism upon the coaches decisions to play him as well as his continuous on-ice failings - which I might add had nothing to do with effort.

All in all, from what I recall, the majority of the negative comments made towards Glass in his time here were based on managements decision to continuously play him, as well as his low level of productivity - which I would hardly categorize as 'unwarranted.'

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Actually that's a point--he did hit hard. I don't think he's here to coach in any capacity though. Player development is more of a watching and suggesting thing. Davidson talked about following their draftees around as something he did in St. Louis and Columbus. Letting their players know--whatever the stage they're at--unsigned prospect, Hartford Wolfpack that they are Rangers--Glass looks to me like maybe he'll be one of these footsoldiers and really Dolan is a multi-billionaire and can spend freely on stuff like this.

I remember when Kasparaitis was sent to Hartford Jessiman was raving how Kasparaitis showed him the correct ways to throw hits, because Kasparaitis quickly noticed Jessiman had no clue what he was doing when trying to throw hits.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
In Glass' first season, he was on the ice for a Ranger goal for the second time in the season on February 14th, getting regular fourth line minutes. The Rangers literally scored goals at a higher rate on the penalty kill without him than at even strength with him. He was historically bad. It was a big problem. It was discussed as such. Get over it.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
There were huge issues with this team, yet people could not stop harping on Glass, like he was holding back the Championship parades himself.

In context, every time people brought him up It.was.ridiculous.

Having a really bad 4th line may not be a huge issue (which is debatable, the 4th line was at least bordering on being a huge issue in 15-16) but its also not a small issue. Especially when you have a coach who rolls 4 lines.

The concept that a team shouldn't fix a problem because its smaller than other problems is absurd.

And the idea that people shouldn't complain about those issues is absurd and also hypocritical. Brent Fedyk and Jeff Toms were the definitions of minor players and minor team issues and people never shut up about them, we still rag on them to this day.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Back from my trip at Banned Camp and this is the first thing I see, lol.

I like it though. But I fully expect people to say he can't be in such a role because he was a bad NHL player. Still better at hockey than like 99.9% of the general pop.

Reactions: Bluenote13

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Having a really bad 4th line may not be a huge issue (which is debatable, the 4th line was at least bordering on being a huge issue in 15-16) but its also not a small issue. Especially when you have a coach who rolls 4 lines.

The concept that a team shouldn't fix a problem because its smaller than other problems is absurd.

And the idea that people shouldn't complain about those issues is absurd and also hypocritical. Brent Fedyk and Jeff Toms were the definitions of minor players and minor team issues and people never shut up about them, we still rag on them to this day.

'team shouldn't fix a problem' - where did I say this?

'people shouldn't complain' - they should, but when does it get to be too much and at the expense of much larger issues.

Fedyk and Toms were borderline comedic side stories, not the everyday main attractions like the TG threads became.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Drury
Greg Brown
David Oliver
Quinn
Malcolm
Clark
Ortmeyer
Leetch
Richards
Graves

Those are all guys that play important roles in the organization. They were all known as leader-types, character guys. They all wore letters at some point. Other than Richards and Graves, they all played college hockey and got good educations playing for good schools. Even Jeff Malcolm went to Yale. The Rangers are clearly building an organizational infrastructure based around smart, hardworking, well-educated leaders. It seems like a good philosophy to me.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Back from my trip at Banned Camp and this is the first thing I see, lol.

I like it though. But I fully expect people to say he can't be in such a role because he was a bad NHL player. Still better at hockey than like 99.9% of the general pop.

Banned Camp? What were you guys allowed to do there?

I agree, the worst NHL'ers, or 'bottom tier guys' would mop the floor with anyone here, I know this firsthand, played with two retired guys in scrimmages the last few years on Long Island.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Banned Camp? What were you guys allowed to do there?

I agree, the worst NHL'ers, or 'bottom tier guys' would mop the floor with anyone here, I know this firsthand, played with two retired guys in scrimmages the last few years on Long Island.
Yup. I recently shared an anecdote about skating around with two ECHL guys, one of whom got into camp with Hershey. They were so much better than everyone else there. And there were guys that were good high school players, that otherwise were stars in the men's leagues. Tanner Glass could join a men's league and f***ing dominate in every aspect.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I can vividly recall posters who complained there was too much Tanner Glass discussion venturing over to the Tanner Glass threads, to complain that Tanner Glass was being discussed too much, in an inappropriate way, and to complain that Tanner Glass complaining dominated discussion about the team (which was a blatant lie). Now some of those exact same posters are back to remind everyone that they complained about Tanner Glass too much in a thread about Tanner Glass.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My issue with the Glass thing, when he played here, was that far too many people turned it into a personal crusade against Tanner Glass, the Ranger, the person. Yeah he was godawful, but he wasn't the one putting himself in the lineup every night. The blame should have fallen squarely and solely on the front office and coach, and instead there was so much vitriol being spewed at Glass himself, as if he was actively forcing himself into games and then intentionally being awful. That's what I hated about the whole situation. Not that Tanner needs my sympathies, but he had them.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I can vividly recall posters who complained there was too much Tanner Glass discussion venturing over to the Tanner Glass threads, to complain that Tanner Glass was being discussed too much, in an inappropriate way, and to complain that Tanner Glass complaining dominated discussion about the team (which was a blatant lie). Now some of those exact same posters are back to remind everyone that they complained about Tanner Glass too much in a thread about Tanner Glass.
1. See Tanner Glass thread
2. Click Tanner Glass thread
3. Spark a debate about Tanner Glass
4. Note how many pages the Tanner Glass thread is
5. Feel good about yourself for defending a multi-millionaire online

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
In Glass' first season, he was on the ice for a Ranger goal for the second time in the season on February 14th, getting regular fourth line minutes. The Rangers literally scored goals at a higher rate on the penalty kill without him than at even strength with him. He was historically bad. It was a big problem. It was discussed as such. Get over it.

And yet somehow he was better than Cody McLeod who was on the ice for all of 6 goals total as a Ranger and 27 against in very limited minutes.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
So the Rangers coach, the team just signed Glass to a 3 year contract, is that not a sign they want you to play him?

Not trying to defend AV, more so if anyone should catch the flack it's the organization who thought that would be a good contract to sign from the get go.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So the Rangers coach, the team just signed Glass to a 3 year contract, is that not a sign they want you to play him?

Not trying to defend AV, more so if anyone should catch the flack it's the organization who thought that would be a good contract to sign from the get go.

He gave us memes and memories. I enjoyed Tanner.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I remember when Kasparaitis was sent to Hartford Jessiman was raving how Kasparaitis showed him the correct ways to throw hits, because Kasparaitis quickly noticed Jessiman had no clue what he was doing when trying to throw hits.

I can believe that. I remember seeing Jessiman in two or three exhibition games and he was getting worked off the puck constantly by much smaller players. Hugh's balance and his ability to react quickly in smaller spaces like in the corners or along the boards needed a lot of work. He lost puck battles constantly and he got beaten up by the much smaller Steve Downie in a fight. Being big can be an advantage but you have to know how to use that size. The injuries and his inability to take advantage of his size is what killed his career.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He gave us memes and memories. I enjoyed Tanner.

Honestly I never disliked Glass the person, I don't think I ever argued against him personally. It was always more from a... what are the Rangers thinking standpoint, why are they putting so much weight and value into that role.

McLeod to me is different, one year cheap deal, no coach is going to not scratch him if some other player or prospect fits better.

Speaking of which if they need a 4th line role player why not see if they can extend Brickley for a year on a cap hit which can be buried if he is sent down?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Live footage of AV learning Glass is not going to be able to come to his training camp:
tenor (3).gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2