Rumor: Tanner Glass Retires/Joins NYR Front Office

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like it. Always liked him as a Ranger. 4 year college degree at Dartmouth and maybe our young players will now know how to throw a hard body check.

Actually that's a point--he did hit hard. I don't think he's here to coach in any capacity though. Player development is more of a watching and suggesting thing. Davidson talked about following their draftees around as something he did in St. Louis and Columbus. Letting their players know--whatever the stage they're at--unsigned prospect, Hartford Wolfpack that they are Rangers--Glass looks to me like maybe he'll be one of these footsoldiers and really Dolan is a multi-billionaire and can spend freely on stuff like this.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is what I said in the locked Roster Building thread:
"Guys who suck at playing hockey but make the NHL generally have to really figure out how the game works to get there. As bad as he was on the ice, I wouldn’t exactly use that as evidence against giving Glass a role within the organization"

If he's going to be one of these traveling 'development coaches,' I don't think they're suppose to be skills coaches, and everyone he's every played with or has been employed by really like him, so he seems like as good as a candidate as anyone to get prospects familiar with the organization and help them on their way

I agree, besides doesn’t Glass go nice college? Isn’t Dartmouth pretty highly regarded? I don’t know these stuff, just think I heard about sometime.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree, besides doesn’t Glass go nice college? Isn’t Dartmouth pretty highly regarded? I don’t know these stuff, just think I heard about sometime.

Dartmouth--(Harvard, Brown, Princeton, Yale, Cornell off the top of my head are others) is an Ivy league school--which puts it in the very upper tier of US educational institutions. There is probably a lot of emphasis on their athletes keeping their grades up. I think there are some (or use to be--Harvard?) that don't give out athletic scholarships. You've got to have the grades and the test scores or else lots and lots of money and/or political connections.

Reactions: White Death 24

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We did have a fairly robust analytics department going back to AV, from the little that was ever mentioned about it.

Bringing in guys known hardworking, character-types to serve in development roles seems smart. And guys like Ortmeyer and Glass, it's not like they were here forever. They've almost certainly developed a positive reputation around the league. But Ortmeyer, Richards, Leetch, Graves, Glass, they all fit the smart, leader molds.

Another upside to this is you let these guys show what they can do, and maybe someone emerges as an AC candidate or an HC candidate for Hartford or something.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
"Skate to where the puck is going, not where it has been. - Wayne Gretzky" - Tanner Glass

In all seriousness, I guess he left a positive impression on more than just AV.

Tanner Glass is an INCREDIBLY smart guy. So this is exactly what I expected to see of him after he retired. I can see him making a big-time impact off-ice.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Report: Tanner Glass Joining New York Rangers Front Office

giphy.gif

This is a really bad reaction, Joey.

Also, click that link to read an incredible amount of really stupid reactions from the non-diehard fans that peruse BSB. My God is BSB awful.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He has AHL and NHL experience (even some overseas) and can probably answer some questions the prospects may have about what they can expect and maybe even give them some pointers in an attempt to avoid some of the pitfalls along the way.

I find it funny in an ironic sort of way, yet I don't think this is a bad thing by any means.

Reactions: Rongomania

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't really care about this, but do other teams have all of these random ex-players around doing "stuff"? I feel like one of the things a lot of people around here say quite often is that in the cap era, a team like the Rangers should be taking advantage of their outsized budget by dominating in things like scouting and analytics. Instead, it seems like they use their extra cash to build out the old boys club with god knows what as the objective. I dunno.

Glass is a highly intelligent guy. Why does everything always have to come back to analytics?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I'm not doubting his smarts. Just thought the facepalm gif was more of a trolling thing that a lot are taking very seriously. The joke went over a lot of heads....

Dude this is the last freaking time I am going to tell you. I am sick and tired of it, enough already, when are you going to get it thru your thick skull.

There's no joking around here, the internet and the Rangers are serious business. You joke one more time and that's it man........

Of all guys to joke about Tanner Glass, who next George Parros?

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Bones

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Glass is a highly intelligent guy. Why does everything always have to come back to analytics?
Never mind the fact that the good old boys club was traditional used to characterize boys who were actually, y'know... old.

Glass is a 35-year-old recently retired player. How on earth can anyone outside the organization presume to know what qualities he brings to this position?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Never mind the fact that the good old boys club was traditional used to characterize boys who were actually, y'know... old.

Glass is a 35-year-old recently retired player. How on earth can anyone outside the organization presume to know what qualities he brings to this position?

Yes!! Also, why is the presumption always that analytics are somehow being shorted?

I'm not doubting his smarts. Just thought the facepalm gif was more of a trolling thing that a lot are taking very seriously. The joke went over a lot of heads....
Poor Joey. One of his few attempts at a joke is taken as a completely serious post. :laugh:

FWIW, I thought it was good.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The usage of Tanner drove me absolutely f***ing crazy in previous years, but that was on AV.

I see no reason to be upset about this. He made a career out of working hard and being a team first guy. He's no goon.

I'm good with this. Not like there's a cap for our development staff.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yes!! Also, why is the presumption always that analytics are somehow being shorted?

Poor Joey. One of his few attempts at a joke is taken as a completely serious post. :laugh:

FWIW, I thought it was good.

Also, how do we not know that Glass isn't a huge proponent of analytics? This isn't some stupid dude. He's incredibly smart.
If I had to guess, regarding the "we should be more focused on analytics instead of hiring random guys like Glass", it's probably because people are drawing some sort of false parallel in their heads between Glass being a horrible player when looked at analytically and his hire signifying that we don't care about analytics. Like, he was a horrible possession player, so therefor we don't care about those things. That's just my guess.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
This is a really bad reaction, Joey.

Also, click that link to read an incredible amount of really stupid reactions from the non-diehard fans that peruse BSB. My God is BSB awful.

That unwarranted crap that he took from some people on this board is unbelievable. Most coming from people who weren't here during the dark years.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Sometimes the villain hangs around long enough to become the hero

No reason to be upset about this

Tanner Glass getting face pops at MSG !

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
If I had to guess, regarding the "we should be more focused on analytics instead of hiring random guys like Glass", it's probably because people are drawing some sort of false parallel in their heads between Glass being a horrible player when looked at analytically and his hire signifying that we don't care about analytics. Like, he was a horrible possession player, so therefor we don't care about those things. That's just my guess.
Those people conveniently like to forget bringing analytics darlings like Pouliot, Pirri, Clendenning, Claesson, Stralman, etc. The coach at the time may not have used some of the correctly, but the coach and front office aren’t the same thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad