Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Report: Tanner Glass Joining New York Rangers Front Office

giphy.gif

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
This is what I said in the locked Roster Building thread:
"Guys who suck at playing hockey but make the NHL generally have to really figure out how the game works to get there. As bad as he was on the ice, I wouldn’t exactly use that as evidence against giving Glass a role within the organization"

If he's going to be one of these traveling 'development coaches,' I don't think they're suppose to be skills coaches, and everyone he's every played with or has been employed by really like him, so he seems like as good as a candidate as anyone to get prospects familiar with the organization and help them on their way

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
"Guys who suck at playing hockey but make the NHL generally have to really figure out how the game works to get there. As bad as he was on the ice, I wouldn’t exactly use that as evidence against giving Glass a role within the organization"

If he's going to be one of these traveling 'development coaches,' I don't think they're suppose to be skills coaches, and everyone he's every played with or has been employed by really like him, so he seems like as good as a candidate as anyone to get prospects familiar with the organization and help them on their way

Yeah I get it. Jonesy is one of the best analysts in the game on NBC, Berube just won a cup, Ortmeyer killed it in developing last year!! The playing career is taken with a grain of salt compared to office life....

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Nah, not a facepalm moment.

He's a smart dude. It just doesn't translate into his on-ice play.

If he's working with the young prospects and help them with work-ethic and other intangible stuff that need to be done with their development, I'm all for it. Even skills drilling.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah I get it. Jonesy is one of the best analysts in the game on NBC, Berube just won a cup, Ortmeyer killed it in developing last year!! The playing career is taken with a grain of salt compared to office life....

Keith Jones actually was a pretty decent player. Arguably as good as Milbury anyway. Jones also saved Eric Lindros's life by grabbing him off a plane he was about to fly on with a collapsed lung. Glass is a Dartmouth grad. He's not stupid.....and wherever he went he was well liked. When he first came to the Rangers Crosby was asking after him. But anyway there are lots of examples of players who had less than spectacular careers who did well in other hockey occupations. Glen Sather would be one. Peter Laviolette was a career minor leaguer whose NHL experience amounted to all of 12 games with the Rangers.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Keith Jones actually was a pretty decent player. Arguably as good as Milbury anyway. Jones also saved Eric Lindros's life by grabbing him off a plane he was about to fly on with a collapsed lung. Glass is a Dartmouth grad. He's not stupid.....and wherever he went he was well liked. When he first came to the Rangers Crosby was asking after him. But anyway there are lots of examples of players who had less than spectacular careers who did well in other hockey occupations. Glen Sather would be one. Peter Laviolette was a career minor leaguer whose NHL experience amounted to all of 12 games with the Rangers.

I'm not doubting his smarts. Just thought the facepalm gif was more of a trolling thing that a lot are taking very seriously. The joke went over a lot of heads....

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I don't really care about this, but do other teams have all of these random ex-players around doing "stuff"? I feel like one of the things a lot of people around here say quite often is that in the cap era, a team like the Rangers should be taking advantage of their outsized budget by dominating in things like scouting and analytics. Instead, it seems like they use their extra cash to build out the old boys club with god knows what as the objective. I dunno.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don't really care about this, but do other teams have all of these random ex-players around doing "stuff"? I feel like one of the things a lot of people around here say quite often is that in the cap era, a team like the Rangers should be taking advantage of their outsized budget by dominating in things like scouting and analytics. Instead, it seems like they use their extra cash to build out the old boys club with god knows what as the objective. I dunno.
Other teams do this too. Most of the ex players are in ‘player development’ positions, which aren’t really anything special.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I like it. Always liked him as a Ranger. 4 year college degree at Dartmouth and maybe our young players will now know how to throw a hard body check.

Reactions: eco's bones

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I get the impression that a big part of JD's plan is to do just this and take advantage of this advantage by spending more on player development, scouting, hartford, etc. and I think that started with improving the scouting staff over the last few years...only time will tell but i'm hopeful.

as far as former players...if you look around the league, especially with lower level front office and scouting positions, they are loaded with former NHLers...many with a connection to the team they work for, but probably more common is a connection with the GM that hired them. but that is pretty normally in any business, you hire people you know. that can lead to the old boys club if those guys aren't qualified but isn't a negative in itself imo

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

In all fairness, in regard to sucking at hockey , the spectrum looks more like ...

|Everyone else on Earth| <<< Tanner Glass <<<<<< All other regular NHL players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad