Tanking for Alexis Lafreniere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Ottawa has two very high picks. Would be fun to see them grab Lafrenière and Byfield !!!

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
The risks in the status quo are always the same, promises without action destroy the link of confidence. Shareholders think like that vs. any CEO, Molson's board certainly see the risks on the brand from the habs.

Toronto just sold a rebuild, Montreal can sell a rebuild. Let's stop with the illusion that it would be negative for business.
If done in an honest way, with a new leadership filled with talent and will to win. It would be just fine.

Just look at NYR. They knew the risks of both options and opted to tell the truth to their fans. They told their fans it was needed to trade vets and known player and do a quick retool/rebuild. Sure, they signed a huge UFA (helped a whole lot), which is something we have a hard time doing, but I still think it's a superb exemple of how they got rid of the status quo we have here since it's seems like forever.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just look at NYR. They knew the risks of both options and opted to tell the truth to their fans. Sure, they signed a huge UFA, which is something we have a hard time doing, but I still think it's a superb exemple of how they got rid of the status quo we have here since it's seems like forever.

That's on Molson, not Bergevin IMO. Molson is not qualified to be in charge of hockey operations as our President. He don't have credibility to challenge Bergevin on hockey decisions.

If he fires Bergevin... who's doing the interviews for the next GM? Molson? That's scary to me.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
That's on Molson, not Bergevin IMO. Molson is not qualified to be in charge of hockey operations as our President.

Obviously, it was the owner that did the announcement for the NYR, but I still think MB and Molson could discuss this possibility.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Obviously, it was the owner that did the announcement for the NYR, but I still think MB and Molson could discuss this possibility.

I'm sure they talk about various things that we will never find out. I do think that some fans need to think the "proper rebuild" narrative through a bit more. Habs have way too much to sell. You trade Tatar and Petry at this past draft for the Muzzin type return and then Weber, Price, Gallagher, ask for trades I am sure. Then what? Teams line up to give us their 1st and Grade A assets? More like the opposite... Several GM's circle around us like Vultures and want us to retain and also acquire for cheap. It could get real messy and not many are considering that.

I say we try to improve and win in the short term with the Weber window. All we need is the right circumstance to work to our timing. If after 2 or 3 years go by, we then sell cause there is less term left and a higher salary cap.

I see what they are trying to do but haters going to hate cause hey... it's year 8 going on 9 with BM eh.

Last edited:
Reactions: philipsson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mark my works, one day some team who just misses the playoffs is going to win the lottery and fans in the bottom 5 will flip out (Don't blame them if they do too). I think they should adjust the odds...

- Bottom 5 teams get a shot at the #1 OA
- Bottom 6-10 range get a shot at #2 OA
- Bottom 11-15 range get a shot at #3 OA
* All teams have a shot at #3
* Weighted odds depending on where teams are in the standings over the last 3 years. If a team like Tampa has injuries and misses the playoffs (this season for example), they don't get a shot at any of the top 3 picks. Complicated formula but so is the Escrow formula. Figure it out

Change it now before one day it happens... Imagine the Leafs missing the playoffs and winning the draft lottery?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What we do now ? Draft is all luck. Trading is too hard, it's not the PlayStation. #1C are never traded. We need Tatar and Petry to miss the playoffs again next year and getting picks is not good enough.

Many good players will need a contract next year...

How do we improve ?
We’ve sucked for decades and the cash keeps flowing. There is no need to. Especially in a profit sharing league. Our franchise has been one of the top earners through all of this bullshit.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Just look at NYR. They knew the risks of both options and opted to tell the truth to their fans. They told their fans it was needed to trade vets and known player and do a quick retool/rebuild. Sure, they signed a huge UFA (helped a whole lot), which is something we have a hard time doing, but I still think it's a superb exemple of how they got rid of the status quo we have here since it's seems like forever.

Davidson is a rebuild artist.

Reactions: philipsson

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
That's on Molson, not Bergevin IMO. Molson is not qualified to be in charge of hockey operations as our President. He don't have credibility to challenge Bergevin on hockey decisions.

If he fires Bergevin... who's doing the interviews for the next GM? Molson? That's scary to me.
I would have offered Yzerman 15 million a year for 6 years as soon as he was looking. I would also have handed him a set of monogrammed Habs keys while asking to “fix this”...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What we do now ? Draft is all luck. Trading is too hard, it's not the PlayStation. #1C are never traded. We need Tatar and Petry to miss the playoffs again next year and getting picks is not good enough.

Many good players will need a contract next year...

How do we improve ?
Dude... we're going to build through the draft. Didn't you listen to him?

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Mark my works, one day some team who just misses the playoffs is going to win the lottery and fans in the bottom 5 will flip out (Don't blame them if they do too). I think they should adjust the odds...

- Bottom 5 teams get a shot at the #1 OA
- Bottom 6-10 range get a shot at #2 OA
- Bottom 11-15 range get a shot at #3 OA
* All teams have a shot at #3
* Weighted odds depending on where teams are in the standings over the last 3 years. If a team like Tampa has injuries and misses the playoffs (this season for example), they don't get a shot at any of the top 3 picks. Complicated formula but so is the Escrow formula. Figure it out

Change it now before one day it happens... Imagine the Leafs missing the playoffs and winning the draft lottery?
Been saying this for a while. It’s going to happen eventually if they don’t change how the draft lottery works.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Dude... we're going to build through the draft. Didn't you listen to him?

What are you talking about?

Hudon - Galchenyuk - Scherbak
Reway - Vejdemo - McCarron
Collberg - DLR - Andrighetto
Bozon - Audette - Vail

Thrower - Tinordi
Bourque - Lernout
Staum - Kobernstein

Fucale
Hawkeye

We da best...:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
MB needs to take some lessons from his old team how to tank right, Hawks 2-7-1 in their last 10

These are just useless loser points, thankfully the Sabres and Wild have gone on decent runs

Give Pricer some nights off

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
What are you talking about?

Hudon - Galchenyuk - Scherbak
Reway - Vejdemo - McCarron
Collberg - DLR - Andrighetto
Bozon - Audette - Vail

Thrower - Tinordi
Bourque - Lernout
Staum - Kobernstein

Fucale
Hawkeye

We da best...:sarcasm::sarcasm:
Just a string of bad luck, a long f***ing string, but this year he’s going to carpet bomb the draft which should improve his odds of hitting something

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Offer him something he can't refuse.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad