Tanking for Alexis Lafreniere

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Not exactly a tanking day. You wonder if the team got the message and gives up a little? Drouin, Gallagher and Weber should all be on IR.

I remember when Souray got his wrist surgery. It took him almost a full year to recover. Drouin is still in pain for f*** sakes. Sit him and let him heal.

Gallagher is wearing a knee brace and who knows what Weber is doing to get ready for games.

Not worth it.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Improving the team in the short term or long term? Short term is what Danault and the other vets want. Pleasing your core is part of the overall formula as a NHL GM... like it or not. Ripping it all apart and selling everything is what kids dream.
What Danault “wants”? Danault is the f***ing poster boy for everything wrong with our organization for the last 20 years! DD is a close 2nd.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Lock it up. He loves everyone. This is the end of possible tanking. Not possible now. Just watching assets EXPIRE.

giphy.gif

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The only expiring assets left are Belzile, Weise, Folin and Kinkaid.

Price and Weber. You know what I meant. Severe lack of timing between the Caufield/Zuke generation and Price/Weber's ability to play at a high level, with a good supporting cast enabling a window. It's not happening, it's just not.

*Edit: we'll re-up on Petry and Tatar next year too. Bergevin won't believe "draft picks" are better than good ol' Jeff and Tuna. He said he'd keep all his vets back in December, too.

Reactions: cphabs

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
What Danault “wants”? Danault is the f*cking poster boy for everything wrong with our organization for the last 20 years! DD is a close 2nd.
The f*** you are talking about ? Danault is a great team player, good, not great, at everything... he's nothing like DD, I mean they are completely different types of players... seems like you want to point out francophone players, which is, well it starts with a "r" and finishes with "acist".

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
Winning the last two games prior to the deadline was terrible stroke of bad luck for the tank.

I can't help but feel last week's wins reinforced Bergevin that this team can still compete for the playoffs and to hold onto Petry/Tatar rather than entertain offers for them.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Knowing our luck? It will happen.

Optics would be oh so bad for Bettman. Poor roster, need elite talent up front and/or RHD, draft is in Montreal, Habs don't finish bottom 3...... and they win the lottery?

Nah. "Rigged!" is all we would hear around North America.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Optics would be oh so bad for Bettman. Poor roster, need elite talent up front and/or RHD, draft is in Montreal, Habs don't finish bottom 3...... and they win the lottery?

We’d still f*** it up.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Price and Weber. You know what I meant. Severe lack of timing between the Caufield/Zuke generation and Price/Weber's ability to play at a high level, with a good supporting cast enabling a window. It's not happening, it's just not.

*Edit: we'll re-up on Petry and Tatar next year too. Bergevin won't believe "draft picks" are better than good ol' Jeff and Tuna. He said he'd keep all his vets back in December, too.

Tatar, Weal, Petry and Armia might get traded if we fail again next year. Danault and Gallagher are probably re-signed.

Reactions: dralaf

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
What we do now ? Draft is all luck. Trading is too hard, it's not the PlayStation. #1C are never traded. We need Tatar and Petry to miss the playoffs again next year and getting picks is not good enough.

Many good players will need a contract next year...

How do we improve ?

Reactions: Roadhouse

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
At 4PM today this thread will need to be closed.

this thread and the rebuild thread we had going didn't need to be open any more once we started winning all those games to push us from a possible 6th/7th pick to 10-13th pick since it was clear as day that f*** nuts wasn't going to sell high on Petry and I didn't think he would sell high on Tatar because we got to make the playoffs.

I just don't see MB being fired, Timmins being fired, I don't think Julien gets canned although I was surprised at the rumor that MB went to Russia to talk to Hartley about his interest in coaching here if that was true.

So we aren't tanking, we aren't rebuilding, we are just sitting in limbo, not bad enough to get high picks (unless we get really lucky at the lottery) and not good enough to make the playoffs. No one seems likely to be held accountable so no major moves have been made in over a year as look at the moves the guy has made since last trade deadline, Folin, Weise, Thompson, Weal, Kinkaid, Chia, Barber, Varone. Yea

That said I made a mistake in closing the thread as I didn't consider it's prime function is for the fans to vent in although they have the MB, Timmins, Molson, Julien thread but if they want to cheer on the team to lose it has to be in the tank or rebuild thread and I didn't think of that so my bad.

If they win the lottery MB's never being fired.

If they don't win the lottery he's not being fired anytime soon imo. Once Molson came out and said it could take up to 8 years I knew we are f***ed and MB was likely going to be here awhile. That ass clown believes in whatever shit MB is selling him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

The NBA does it all the time, it's smart business when you think about it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
this thread and the rebuild thread we had going didn't need to be open any more once we started winning all those games to push us from a possible 6th/7th pick to 10-13th pick since it was clear as day that f*ck nuts wasn't going to sell high on Petry and I didn't think he would sell high on Tatar because we got to make the playoffs.

I just don't see MB being fired, Timmins being fired, I don't think Julien gets canned although I was surprised at the rumor that MB went to Russia to talk to Hartley about his interest in coaching here if that was true.

So we aren't tanking, we aren't rebuilding, we are just sitting in limbo, not bad enough to get high picks (unless we get really lucky at the lottery) and not good enough to make the playoffs. No one seems likely to be held accountable so no major moves have been made in over a year as look at the moves the guy has made since last trade deadline, Folin, Weise, Thompson, Weal, Kinkaid, Chia, Barber, Varone. Yea

That said I made a mistake in closing the thread as I didn't consider it's prime function is for the fans to vent in although they have the MB, Timmins, Molson, Julien thread but if they want to cheer on the team to lose it has to be in the tank or rebuild thread and I didn't think of that so my bad.

If they don't win the lottery he's not being fired anytime soon imo. Once Molson came out and said it could take up to 8 years I knew we are f*cked and MB was likely going to be here awhile. That ass clown believes in whatever shit MB is selling him.

That's true, but I could see a scenario where they flame out next year (a similar year to 2015-16) and then it's a full scale housecleaning. Both the coach and GM's contracts line up in a way that after 2021, they're both lameducks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's true, but I could see a scenario where they flame out next year (a similar year to 2015-16) and then it's a full scale housecleaning. Both the coach and GM's contracts line up in a way that after 2021, they're both lameducks.

maybe as if they do flame out the bigger problem for MB would be to sell his UFA's, Gallagher, Petry and Tatar on all re-signing. I could see Gallagher staying but if we were to miss the playoffs again, I wonder what the other 2 would do and then it opens another problem if he can't re-sign them as you don't know what Price and Weber will feel about it as I don't think we have anyone to take over for those guys that wouldn't be a considerable drop off in production for the '21-'22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad