Tank Thread 2015/16 (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I hope Bernier gets red hot and carries the Leafs to some unexpected victories.

I don't know how good the methodology is, but here is a sight that continuously updates projected standings at the end of the year. http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.cgi

At this point, the Jets are projected to finish 27th (0.3 points ahead of Calgary :laugh:).

If the Jets finish 27th (4th last), they'll have only a 29% chance at at top-3 pick, a 30% chance at a 4th or 5th pick, and a 40% chance of 6th or 7th. They are much more likely to pick 5-7th (about 68%) than a top 3.

Even if they finish 3rd last, their chance of a top-3 pick is only 34%, whereas the chance of 5th or 6th pick is over 50%.

I believe in probability, so even if the Jets don't climb at all in the standings I am preparing for thinking about a 5th or 6th overall pick.

There's a pretty good chance the Jets could end up with PLD or Chychrun. I suppose a team might fall in love with Tkachuk, in which case either PLD or Chychrun might be available.

For some reason, I have this nagging feeling that the new lottery system might mean that the Jets don't end up with quite the elite player we might hope for.

I am torn if we dip as low as 2 or 3 the system could bite us in the ass......if we finish in 5th or 6th it could actually help us. How optimistic/pessimistic I feel about it depends on what side of the bed I wake up on but there is no doubt from here on out luck is the key ingredient both in how the Jets finish and how the balls bounce.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Tonight is a true tank battle. Only two more after this one. Vancouver & Buffalo.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I am torn if we dip as low as 2 or 3 the system could bite us in the ass......if we finish in 5th or 6th it could actually help us. How optimistic/pessimistic I feel about it depends on what side of the bed I wake up on but there is no doubt from here on out luck is the key ingredient both in how the Jets finish and how the balls bounce.

I hate this system! And they are considering tweaking it even more. Fact is, most teams aren't trying to lose. Teams like the Jets, Flames, Oilers, CBJ are making every effort to develop young players at the NHL level, which means you're gonna lose plenty of games. Worst teams should get the best picks. What they should do is just put a limit on 1sts.....like no more than 2 in 4 years or whatever.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I hate this system! And they are considering tweaking it even more. Fact is, most teams aren't trying to lose. Teams like the Jets, Flames, Oilers, CBJ are making every effort to develop young players at the NHL level, which means you're gonna lose plenty of games. Worst teams should get the best picks. What they should do is just put a limit on 1sts.....like no more than 2 in 4 years or whatever.

I thought that's what they were attempting to do with the latest talks.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I love the lottery system now. The Oilers would not have won so often if this was in place earlier. In 2011 NJ Devils actually won the lottery but could only move up 4 places so the Oilers retained their spot that year.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think they should have a playoff for the #1 pick. All the teams that miss the playoffs have a tournament and the winner gets the #1 pick.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm old enough to remember when the NHL had to change the rules because the Oilers were too good... :sarcasm:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Tank commander in net tonight. His sub-lieutenant has done an alright job, but had an unacceptable performance against Van. If you want a job done right ya gotta do it yourself

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A clean Jets loss coupled with a 3 point night with Buffalo beating the Habs in OT would be optimal :yo: we need to get off our roll before Nik gets back.

Too greedy? :naughty:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Zachy Goge (how did we use to spell it?) with a very controversial goal to open the scoring. Buffalo 1-0

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hopefully we lose 7-6. Dano gets a couple, Scheif keeps the streak going.

Man Ehlers and Armia need to come back, I want them getting as much ice time as they can for the rest of the year.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I was hoping for L's against the Canucks and Calgary and a W against Chicago, personally. Some maneuvering of the CHI 1st round pick, along with better positioning for our pick.

It's funny: I cheer during the game and for all the goals and what the players are bringing to the table, but at the end of the game, I don't feel a whole bunch of emotion whether we win or lose.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was hoping for L's against the Canucks and Calgary and a W against Chicago, personally. Some maneuvering of the CHI 1st round pick, along with better positioning for our pick.

It's funny: I cheer during the game and for all the goals and what the players are bringing to the table, but at the end of the game, I don't feel a whole bunch of emotion whether we win or lose.

Hawks are doing enough to beat themselves.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea that actually describes my feelings to a tee. I will probably start getting more nervous about loss jockeying in the last few games pending the photo finish drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad