Tank Thread 2015/16 (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2023075

Tank mode: engaged!

IMO we should have went this direction earlier. Finally it offers some hope to get off the bubble track. I'm glad we didn't keep trying to prop up this team to hold that sacred middle ground. Again IMO the current core of players have proven incapable of carrying a contender especially against the very powerful teams in the West. As fun as last season was long term squeaking into the playoffs and then being swept cost us draft picks for rentals and draft position. Happily it looks like we snagged a guy at 17 that would go much higher if you gave GM's another crack at it. But now we could really use more high end young talent to build on the younger core, especially if we are fortunate to land the true #1 franchise center. An extra 1st round pick and prospect in a Ladd trade, maybe helps us add much needed prospect depth on the blueline. And if we need to bump along the bottom for another season I'm good with that if we can add another high end prospect or 2 by moving out more vets at next years TD.

How else do you acquire cheap talent? You can't abandon D & D. You can't do what Buffalo did or what the Leafs are doing in perpeuity. You choose your moments and hope for the best.

I don't think management wanted to put a pure tank team on the ice from day 1 though. They wanted a team that could be competitive on the ice while they went through the process of building up the prospect base. I think the team has been a lot better the last two years than the first three, despite the results. And if we had Frolik, Stempniak and Hellebuyck starting this season with the Jets, instead of Petan, Thorburn and Pav, we'd probably be fine right now.

Mgt has a focus on developing the younger core though and trading down the older core where they feel appropriate. It's a strategy that I think is working, but perhaps isn't necessary to build a winner.

We sit at a really interesting place right now. I agree with your earlier post when you asked grind for the chart purposes can we roll back in the prospects/pick assets from the Kane Bogosian draft? I up pose that is mostly for optics the results are the same either way and it looks like we have done really well pending outcomes of said prospects, retroactively adding 2 x 1st round and the 31st pick increased the quantity and quality of draft picks since 2011.

These next few days are important. What we get for Ladd and how this draft goes :crossfingwill go a long way to shaping our next 3 seasons (the end of the Toby, Wheeler, and Little era).

To Grinds chart. I do think adding quantity of picks is a very sound principle and we need to be a bit more diligent doing it in the future. It wouldn't hurt to borrow a bit of the leafs philosophy and dedicate at least one of our roster spots to one year UFA rental flip types. How does that hurt as long as they can carry their water that season it's a great strategy to add additional picks in drafts for very low cost.

It should be standard operating procedure to get a team to throw in an extra pick on every trade. It's so marginal to value of larger trades, but if you always do it, they add up.

Even adding "our seventh for your third" to the close of a trade helps the process.

Sure Gil if you can do it.

But teams will be more and more protective of their picks. In a cap system they mean a lot.

If we really want that extra pick, other teams are likely wanting to keep it just as much.

Agree ps.

I have a feeling the Enstrom era isn't going to be too much longer.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I know its not the Jets M-O but how much is it worth to other teams to eat a bad contract for a year or two? We (after we deal Ladd and im assuming he doesnt sign back here) have a TON of cap space and really not much to spend it on. After next year we finally FINALLY are free of the boat anchor that is Pavs, Thorburn, Clitsome and Peluso. Thats ALOT of cap space gone again.

If we could sneak more prospects or picks out of teams for doing this do you guys think true north would say yes? Bickell would be a primary example. Eating that (plus honestly we would use him as a poor mans Ladd anyways) I think that would hold significant value to the Hawks.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I know its not the Jets M-O but how much is it worth to other teams to eat a bad contract for a year or two? We (after we deal Ladd and im assuming he doesnt sign back here) have a TON of cap space and really not much to spend it on. After next year we finally FINALLY are free of the boat anchor that is Pavs, Thorburn, Clitsome and Peluso. Thats ALOT of cap space gone again.

If we could sneak more prospects or picks out of teams for doing this do you guys think true north would say yes? Bickell would be a primary example. Eating that (plus honestly we would use him as a poor mans Ladd anyways) I think that would hold significant value to the Hawks.

Where those players are concerned, it's more like crap space.

But yeah, if you're going to be a draft and develop team (like 29 other teams), why not try to pry a 2nd or 3rd off some schmuck for eating his salary sandwich.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sara Orlesky ‏@saraorlesky

Paul Maurice says that Bryan Little is done for the reg season with a compression fracture of the T6 vertebrae. #NHLJets

Tank away boys...tank away. Pssst.. we are not really tanking. ;)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Looking at the standings this morning, I think if we end the season under 70 points it's as good of a guarantee as any to finish in the bottom-3. We are at 54 points, 23 games to go, so ideally we don't want more than 16 points over the rest of the season, time for a 4 points in 6 games thread? We need to play .350 hockey for the rest of season. Without Ladd and Little, I think that is well within our grasp

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
4896033.jpg

The tank is strong with this one.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe we'll get to see Adam Lowry centering the top line again. That should make for an express rocket ride to the bottom of the standings...

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The Jets should bring in Mittens and Oli Jokinen to bolster the teams chances before the deadline. Dust them off and deploy!!!
We'll also get a time machine to deliver 2011 Eric Fehr to the front lines.

Prediction: Jets finish 3rd last and draft 6th

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
The Jets should bring in Mittens and Oli Jokinen to bolster the teams chances before the deadline. Dust them off and deploy!!!

Randy Jones is also a free agent.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg

The Jets could use an extra helping of Mittens right about now! Best Nickname in the league....

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
Not good for Little, but good for the team to be out for the rest of the season.

Everything else seems to be falling into place for another extended losing streak... So watch the Jets screw it up somehow and finish 25th in the league lol.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Anyone want to take a guess on the next move to help the tank? My prediction: Postma dealt for a 6th/7th, Kichton called up. :popcorn:

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
This season's tank needs a catchy tagline, along the lines of "fail for Nail" (the pick has, um, not exactly worked out, but the hashtag was genius).
I suggest #lostonforauston - not quite the same ring to it, but quite workable, I think.

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
This season's tank needs a catchy tagline, along the lines of "fail for Nail" (the pick has, um, not exactly worked out, but the hashtag was genius).
I suggest #lostonforauston - not quite the same ring to it, but quite workable, I think.

#JustLoseForMatthews
I also coined #NoPainNoLaine

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Imagine if the Penguins only had a 20% chance of getting Super Mario back in the day.
The 2015 Draft Lottery is like playing pro line (suckers bet).
You have a better chance of falling 3 spots than moving up.

Although locking down 4th over all at worst could be considered the new strategy.

I don't think there's a fancy hash tag for that convoluted mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille