Confirmed with Link: Tanev (75% retained) to Dallas for 2024 2nd, Artem Grushnikov, conditional 3rd in 2026 (if Stars reach SCF)

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Except I never denied that, I just believe since the guy can skate it's not that big of a deal. Preventing goals is just as important as scoring them and if we're okay with forwards with 0 defensive acumen, why have a double standard for defensemen?
Except you have to be really good offensively to make up for being utterly incapable defensively, and that pretty much only applies to wingers. Its more critical for C and D to not be 0 in either given the transition role between defense and offense they play. Kuzmenko is pretty good offensively and terrible defensively, and huska is constantly demoting him. If grushnikov is tanev or pelech good defensively, fine he will be a top 4 guy, but those guys are literally elite defensive defensemen of the league, i not gonna just assume hes gonna be top5/10 defensively in the league. Above average D isnt gonna cover negative O, same applies the other way.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Except you have to be really good offensively to make up for being utterly incapable defensively, and that pretty much only applies to wingers. Its more critical for C and D to not be 0 in either given the transition role between defense and offense they play. Kuzmenko is pretty good offensively and terrible defensively, and huska is constantly demoting him. If grushnikov is tanev or pelech good defensively, fine he will be a top 4 guy, but those guys are literally elite defensive defensemen of the league, i not gonna just assume hes gonna be top5/10 defensively in the league. Above average D isnt gonna cover negative O, same applies the other way.
All the talk about his defensive game is that it better than above average though. The big thing about shutdown defenders and why they are slowly exiting the game, is because most because shut down guys lack skating ability, that is not an issue for Grush. Since skating is a strength of his, he has a good chance at being a shutdown guy in the NHL.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Not dancing in the kitchen and running up and down my house like I was when Connie traded Lindy. One thing I am confused about this trade is timing. Why not trying to go into the top chess table at 11 hour? Guess it could go either way but that what old foxes do....

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not dancing in the kitchen and running up and down my house like I was when Connie traded Lindy. One thing I am confused about this trade is timing. Why not trying to go into the top chess table at 11 hour? Guess it could go either way but that what old foxes do....

I wonder if there's more in the hopper that need more focus. Like the Zadorov trade situation.

Maybe there's more smoke on players other than Hanifin. If the NJD involvement here means they're trying to maintain a relationship, maybe the Markstrom+ idea may get revived.

Did anyone watch his highlights and his skating? Low key reminds me of Brodie or Kylington. Weirdly covers more ice than expected. He must have some kind of ultra efficient stride or something.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wonder if there's more in the hopper that need more focus. Like the Zadorov trade situation.

Maybe there's more smoke on players other than Hanifin. If the NJD involvement here means they're trying to maintain a relationship, maybe the Markstrom+ idea may get revived.
I could just be as simple as the reporte is there

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Maybe Conroy did well to trade Tanev before he gets injured?

Reactions: frozenrubber

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Somewhat underwhelmed. Most of Stars board feel this was a hilarious underpay and they scored easily here. Laughing about this being a bidding war payment. A pittance in fact.

We'll see. Know nothing about the prospect other than what I've read here. I typically reserve judgment, but the knee-jerk reaction is meh. Still, a warrior that'll be duct taped to the gills in the playoffs that could combust at any time? I never thought a 1st was realistic.

I hope we sign Hanifin, Kylington and keep Markstrom.

I expect we trade Hanifin, sign Kylington in off season (w a previous wink that it'll get sorted sans him bolting), and decide Marky's future in the summer.

Reactions: joescores

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Somewhat underwhelmed. Most of Stars board feel this was a hilarious underpay and they scored easily here. Laughing about this being a bidding war payment. A pittance in fact.

We'll see. Know nothing about the prospect other than what I've read here. I typically reserve judgment, but the knee-jerk reaction is meh. Still, a warrior that'll be duct taped to the gills in the playoffs that could combust at any time? I never thought a 1st was realistic.

I expect we trade Hanifin, sign Kylington in off season (w a previous wink that it'll get sorted sans him bolting), and decide Marky's future in the summer.
I think "meh" is the right response. It's not a haul, and it's not bad either. It's the predicted value of a defensive second pair defenseman at the deadline. It's almost exactly the same return Manson got, even the B prospect was a recent 2nd rounder that played defense chosen in the 40s.

I probably like this deal more than most because I've always had an appreciation for the stay at home defenseman, dating back to guys like Ric Nattress

Reactions: flames23

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think I’d be more excited about this return if we had a forward prospect coming back. But we’re better at developing Dmen anyway so this probably has a better potential ROI.

I feel this return is similar to the Bennett return in that we might use either Grushnikov or one of our other LD prospects later to target someone else via trade. I never expected Heineman to sniff the NHL with us so it was easy to part with him in the Toffoli trade. Grush seems to have a higher floor so it could work to our advantage either way

Reactions: flames23

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think I’d be more excited about this return if we had a forward prospect coming back. But we’re better at developing Dmen anyway so this probably has a better potential ROI.

I feel this return is similar to the Bennett return in that we might use either Grushnikov or one of our other LD prospects later to target someone else via trade. I never expected Heineman to sniff the NHL with us so it was easy to part with him in the Toffoli trade. Grush seems to have a higher floor so it could work to our advantage either way
It could also be long-term thinking for Conroy. For a long time we had no Russian players, rarely even guys from former satellite countries... now Suddenly we have a couple on the NHL roster, and now a couple on the AHL roster... this may make it easier to sign guys like Sergeev, Yegorov and Suniev. Conroy would have bee around to know why we couldn't get Rafikov to come over, and maybe no countrymen played a part.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
If anyone thinks we did bad in this trade its only due to those posters saying Tanev for Stankoven..

I like a little more snarl in a stay at home DMan, but young Regehr also didn't have that in him yet. Seems like the perfect partner for Brewski nextyear.

Reactions: flames23 and Nanuuk

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

I don’t understand the talk about Dallas stealing him. I was personally hoping for a 1st after we held out, but Dallas pretty much shipped out a recently drafted 2nd, an actual 2nd, a (maybe) 3rd, and a 4th in the end.

Also for all this talk about his offensive profile meaning he’s hopeless, Tanev in his first AHL season had 9 points. Kuznetsov in an entire extra season of development has 11 points. Solovyov had 8 points. Defensive d-man usually have pitiful numbers even in leagues prior.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So I'm watching Tuesday's Texas Stars game.

Opening shift, Grush beat his man to the puck on a dump in and created a quick transition out of the zone with a quick simple pass. When they got into the offensive zone, he would float back to just outside the blueline on any 50-50 play to support his partner (Petrovic)

His second shift was with a different player, Jake Murray (Grush missed a shift for some reason) and when Murray was chasing the puck in teh corners, Grush was protecting the slot. Again he started teh breakout.

He was off for like 10 seconds before there was a whistle and TV/radio break, and he was immediately back on teh ice with Petro... fairly long shift, where he was quiet, but he knocked the guy off the puck on teh boards near the top of the circle to create the possession change and thus get the line change.

Next shift, back with Murray again, but he didn't miss a shift this time... it's starting to look like the Texas coach is running Petrovic out there every other shift. Again made the pass out of the zone.

Still with Murray, stops the forward that was chasing a rebound from getting to teh front of the net. Smart pinch in the offensive zone caused an icing.

Back with Petro, starts the play from behind the net, went for long pass but it was deflected out of play.

Now playing with Karow, quiet shift, but backed up Karow when he had the puck in the neutral zone.

Back with Petro again... Grush wins footrace for the puck, then Petro with a gave giveaway, Grush using his speed to close in on the puck and force a tough pass on a 2-on-1.

Another Petro giveaway, this time along teh boards, Grush went right to the slot to make sure no one walked in untouched. Made the pass out of the zone.

Seems Texas is trying to keep the ice-time low for Ben Zloty, which is causing the weird rotation on the blueline.

That's the first period... my initial thoughts are that I like him. Seems very smart and aware. Would never guess he was a rookie.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Second Period

Again, opens the frame with Petro. Protects the slot well, then in the offensive zone has the puck twice, tried a slap pass which was broken up and then a soft shot that didn't get through.

Back with Murray, protecting the slot... leaves to use his stick to break up the play which leads to the clearing of the puck. WHen the puck comes back in their end, it's Grush that makes the pass to move it out of the zone.

With Petro again, pass out of the zone again.

With Petro still, breaks up a play at center ice.

With Murray. Completes a dump in, gets a SOG, on a low wrister through traffic.

With Murray. Wins race for pack, wins battle along the boards

With Petro. Another Petro giveaway, Grush goes right to protecting slot. Steps up at the offensive blueline, lays a hit on the puck carrier, then steals the puck and leads the rush into teh offensive zone, skates it into the trapezoid and tries to pass it into the slot but has it broken up.

With Petro, pinches to keep control in the offensive zone. Breaks up play at the defensive blueline.

SHot from the blueline... Gulls take penalty and Grush just holds the puck for 10 seconds behind the net to get the full PP in teh 3rd period.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No feeling up to watching the 3rd period... but the scouting reports about his defensive play seem bang on. And in this very tiny sample size, his game doesn't look like that of someone that is a black hole offensively, but his exit passes are generally short and safe passes, which often leads to more touches before a shot on goal. Looks more like someone playing within themselves.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
All the talk about his defensive game is that it better than above average though. The big thing about shutdown defenders and why they are slowly exiting the game, is because most because shut down guys lack skating ability, that is not an issue for Grush. Since skating is a strength of his, he has a good chance at being a shutdown guy in the NHL.
I dont agree hes better than above avg defensively in the NHL. Sounds like hes been excellent for hes age in the AHL, but the jump in gap between the 2 league is still enormous. Being above avg defensively is still really good, i conside both weegar and andersson to be above average defensively. Regardless, imo for hes type of player, to be a consistent top 4 guy he pretty much needs to play elite D like tanev does, and those guys are unicorns.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Good deal! Flames acquire Tanev for nothing, get 4 years of very good service, and then translate that into future assets.

Grushnikov is a 20 year old, and in his first season as a pro, is holding his own and then some in the AHL.

Flames now have cap room to give them flexibility in other transactions this season.

Reactions: joescores

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dont agree hes better than above avg defensively in the NHL. Sounds like hes been excellent for hes age in the AHL, but the jump in gap between the 2 league is still enormous. Being above avg defensively is still really good, i conside both weegar and andersson to be above average defensively. Regardless, imo for hes type of player, to be a consistent top 4 guy he pretty much needs to play elite D like tanev does, and those guys are unicorns.
Clearly I was talking about the leagues he's been in.. and who's talking about him being a consistent top 4 guy? You're arguing against shit no one is saying

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Clearly I was talking about the leagues he's been in.. and who's talking about him being a consistent top 4 guy? You're arguing against shit no one is saying
Its literally the shit ive been saying the whole time and you are the one arguing against it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad