Confirmed with Link: Tanev (75% retained) to Dallas for 2024 2nd, Artem Grushnikov, conditional 3rd in 2026 (if Stars reach SCF)

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Tanev was a pending UFA, next years cap space isn't mentioned because it's literally not a factor.
Being able to trade rentals while taking no contracts back like Calgary has done in 2 of their 3 mid season trades this year is a move to keep cap space. While we are coming to the end of the flat cap era, it’s still almost a given nowadays that a contract is coming back for most trades. The fact Calgary keeps avoiding that is telling.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's quite interesting that we've suddenly been stocking up on a number of Russians after years of going without any in the organization

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Being able to trade rentals while taking no contracts back like Calgary has done in 2 of their 3 mid season trades this year is a move to keep cap space. While we are coming to the end of the flat cap era, it’s still almost a given nowadays that a contract is coming back for most trades. The fact Calgary keeps avoiding that is telling.
Teams rarely take on contracts that last beyond the current season in deadline deals.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
How has it been slow? He's been arguably the best defensive player on his team in his rookie pro season. What more can you expect from a stay at home defenseman.
It doesnt matter if you are a stay at home D, you are not only on the ice to play half the ice. Its doesnt look like hes developed anything on the other end of the ice, and apparently guys that watch him says hes completely unwilling or incapable of joining the rush and offensive zone. You can say pts dont matter that much for stay at home D, but i cant think of any impactful stay at home D in the league today thats put up numbers like him. Adam pelech is probably the best stay at home D in the NHL right now, and he still put up acceptable numbers in jr. He is projecting to be a bottom pair defensive guy right now, and thats ok, but he prob wasnt drafted in the 2nd round if scouts thought he would only be a bottom pair guy.

Edit: Also, let me add that its the fact that people say hes a complete non fact and doesnt participate in the offensive zone that conerns me. Tanev is a stay at home D but he still plays a role in the offensive zone by carrying the puck, pinching, and joining the rush. It sounds like thats whats missing with grushnikov

Last edited:

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Another really solid trade by Conroy. I would’ve probably preferred a 1st but 2nd+recent 2nd trending decently is pretty much equal value. And I know moving Tanev seemed inevitable in recent weeks, but I just appreciate that Conroy actually willing to focus on the long term for once instead of losing value on our assets for a 20% shot at the playoffs.

He’s building a really solid collection of picks/prospects, and it’s very exciting. We just need top-6 potential C prospects now. Everything else is in place:

Hubes-_____-Sharangovich
Zary-Kadri-Pospy/Coronato/Kuzmenko
Mang-Backs-Coleman
Pelletier-______-Pospy/Coronato/Kuzmenko

Weegar-Rasmus
Kylington-_______(eventually Brzustewicz)
Poirier/Grushnikov-Pachal

Wolf
Marky

Now let’s get a 1st or C prospect for Hanifin and draft a C and we’re starting to look good

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
the LD pipeline is humor at this stage

Poirier/Morin/Kuznetsov/Solovyov now Grushnikov

No blue chippers but a lot of interesting guys

Humor how? Agreed it's interesting.

Morin/Poirier/Brz Offensive minded D

Solo/Kuzy/Gru defensive minded D.

I’d like this deal quite a bit more if we didn’t already have Kuznetsov and Solovyov in the system. Best of luck to Tanev. What a warrior he is.. he will be missed.

I think it's more evidence of my speculation that we might start implementing a buddy system and grab multiples of prospects of a similar style to increase odds of successful development. Video of all 3 are useful to all 3 for development purposes.

If all succeed, we can trade the excess for positional need.

It's quite interesting that we've suddenly been stocking up on a number of Russians after years of going without any in the organization

I've speculated a new buddy system for teams, batch training of prospects (thus duplicate styles on purpose) and I remember reading an article years ago about the use of Russian translators to improve odds of successful dev camps with Russians by getting over the language barrier.

I honestly believe and speculate there's a huge, huge mandate towards successful drafting AND development. I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It doesnt matter if you are a stay at home D, you are not only on the ice to play half the ice. Its doesnt look like hes developed anything on the other end of the ice, and apparently guys that watch him says hes completely unwilling or incapable of joining the rush and offensive zone. You can say pts dont matter that much for stay at home D, but i cant think of any impactful stay at home D in the league today thats put up numbers like him. Adam pelech is probably the best stay at home D in the NHL right now, and he still put up acceptable numbers in jr. He is projecting to be a bottom pair defensive guy right now, and thats ok, but he prob wasnt drafted in the 2nd round if scouts thought he would only be a bottom pair guy.

Edit: Also, let me add that its the fact that people say hes a complete non fact and doesnt participate in the offensive zone that conerns me. Tanev is a stay at home D but he still plays a role in the offensive zone by carrying the puck, pinching, and joining the rush. It sounds like thats whats missing with grushnikov
Grush starting joining the rush more as he got comfortable in the OHL, why do you think things will be different as a pro? Even by Conroy's statement, he talked about how the guy knows who he is and plays within that. So it makes perfect sense that he'd not tale chances offensively while adapting to teh pro game. It's completely asinine to claim someone isn't developing as a professional rookie when they are clearly developing defensively. Playing within your abilities should not be seen as a negative. Also he's the perfect style of defenseman to pair with someone like Poirier.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Grush starting joining the rush more as he got comfortable in the OHL, why do you think things will be different as a pro? Even by Conroy's statement, he talked about how the guy knows who he is and plays within that. So it makes perfect sense that he'd not tale chances offensively while adapting to teh pro game. It's completely asinine to claim someone isn't developing as a professional rookie when they are clearly developing defensively. Playing within your abilities should not be seen as a negative. Also he's the perfect style of defenseman to pair with someone like Poirier.
You dont put up 12 and 17 pts in juniors in D+1 and D+2 by joining the rush, if thats the case then theres even more concerns there. Him staying in hes defensive comfort zone isnt good enough, he will not be an long term nhl guy if hes black hole offensively (just like the other way around) Hes game in the other zone has been completely stagnant. Defensive guys dont need to put up big pts, but those numbers are straight up alarming. Hes defensive game will have to be on tanev/pelech level if he is to carve out a long nhl career.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Humor how? Agreed it's interesting.

Morin/Poirier/Brz Offensive minded D

Solo/Kuzy/Gru defensive minded D.
Yes, but when he said humour it's the fact that 5 of those 6 you named, are all LD. That's not to say that none could learn to play their off side, it's just that we have 5 higher end LD prospects, and given that we'll only have 3 spots total for LD if none learn their off-side, it's just kind of funny. Brz is the only natural RD in that group.

Reactions: Fig

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I like the trade. Conroy wanted a 2nd+ and got exactly that. Grushnikov seems like he will develop into a Tanov like player with a bit more bite. I like how Conroy says he knows who is is and plays true to who he is. Should help him succeed as a pro. End of the day Tanev could block a shot tomorrow with his face and be done for the year. Will miss him on the Flames.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
How does our D spec’s rank now with Grush and Brz added?
It would be nice to have a blue chip back there. All the fuss (rightfully so) about needing blue chips up front, but it’s still easier to win with a Heiskanen, Makar, McAvoy than it is with an Andersson as your 1

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You dont put up 12 and 17 pts in juniors in D+1 and D+2 by joining the rush, if thats the case then theres even more concerns there. Him staying in hes defensive comfort zone isnt good enough, he will not be an long term nhl guy if hes black hole offensively (just like the other way around) Hes game in the other zone has been completely stagnant. Defensive guys dont need to put up big pts, but those numbers are straight up alarming. Hes defensive game will have to be on tanev/pelech level if he is to carve out a long nhl career.

The good news is our farm does a good job developing dmen. Batch training him, solo and Kuzy could increase the chances those issues are ironed out. Then in NHL Huska further can train him.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
The good news is our farm does a good job developing dmen. Batch training him, solo and Kuzy could increase the chances those issues are ironed out. Then in NHL Huska further can train him.
Tanev would be the most perfect mentor for him, very similar game. I think tanev would tell him he needs to be more involved in the offensive zone too

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Tanev would be the most perfect mentor for him, very similar game. I think tanev would tell him he needs to be more involved in the offensive zone too

Maybe that's why we targeted him in the Tanev trade.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
STARTED joining the rush. But hey, why would I believe people that have actually seen him play over someone who regularly has terrible takes.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
STARTED joining the rush. But hey, why would I believe people that have actually seen him play over someone who regularly has terrible takes.
Lol thats cute, because im sure you have watched a single second of him. The prospect thread on him and peopel that actually watched him said hes offensive game has not developed at all. Love the typical shots when people dont agree with takes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lol thats cute, because im sure you have watched a single second of him. The prospect thread on him and peopel that actually watched him said hes offensive game has not developed at all. Love the typical shots when people dont agree with takes.
I never claimed to watch him, I'm literally stating what other people have said and have been very clear about that. Hell a tweet was even posted in this thread with that info. But again you show inability to comprehend what was said and you regular ability to manipulate it into something else.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I never claimed to watch him, I'm literally stating what other people have said and have been very clear about that. Hell a tweet was even posted in this thread with that info. But again you show inability to comprehend what was said and you regular ability to manipulate it into something else.
And you seem unable to comprehend that i said what i said backed by the discussion of him in the prospect thread. Just like pure offensive players need to develop their D game to stay in the nhl, defensive guys also needs to develop their offensive side, and guess what? He hasnt. im sure you will get there eventually champ.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
And you seem unable to comprehend that i said what i said backed by the discussion of him in the prospect thread. Just like pure offensive players need to develop their D game to stay in the nhl, defensive guys also needs to develop their offensive side, and guess what? He hasnt. im sure you will get there eventually champ.
Just why guys. It’s just the personal jabs and total lack of respect that really grind my gears when I see it. It’s unnecessary online shit talking that doesn’t contribute anything to the discussion besides demonstrating childishness. I will never understand why it’s necessary to crap on an individual personally for a different opinion (well I do but that point is rhetorical).

Anyways, I would say it’s unlikely the prospect we got ever turns into an nhler. The numbers speak for themselves, and even defensive dman often produce at least at a half decent rate in juniors. I’m happy if he’s solid ahl depth, and anything else is a bonus. The second round pick will be the biggest piece imo, hopefully we use it well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Except I never denied that, I just believe since the guy can skate it's not that big of a deal. Preventing goals is just as important as scoring them and if we're okay with forwards with 0 defensive acumen, why have a double standard for defensemen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad