Confirmed with Link: Tanev (75% retained) to Dallas for 2024 2nd, Artem Grushnikov, conditional 3rd in 2026 (if Stars reach SCF)

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
That clip I saw of him makes me hate the trade less but it still looks like Conroy is having trouble maximizing value from his assets. His returns haven't been terrible but they aren't anything to be excited over.

That being said, if Grushnikov can reach his potential he will easily become a fan favorite.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That clip I saw of him makes me hate the trade less but it still looks like Conroy is having trouble maximizing value from his assets. His returns haven't been terrible but they aren't anything to be excited over.

That being said, if Grushnikov can reach his potential he will easily become a fan favorite.
I really don’t think we could have received more for Lindholm if we tried. And he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in Van

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

Market sets prices, Tanev also had No trade clause think set to 10 teams, your window shrinks by 30% immediately plus the rest of teams impacted by cap implications and inefficient amount of assets...

I am still not sharing my inner views which already says a lot being naturally vocal. I disliked Sharon's trade and we know how has it been paying off so far..

Reactions: Khrox

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I really don’t think we could have received more for Lindholm if we tried. And he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in Van

I think the Lindholm trade had more to do with when he traded him. I don't hate the return but I also think he waited too long to trade him. When it was clear last season that him and Huberdeau didn't work is when he should've been trying to move him instead of waiting until he priced himself out and you knew you had to deal him because you weren't willing to pay him what he wanted.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think the Lindholm trade had more to do when when he traded him. I don't hate the return but I also think he waited too long to trade him. When it was clear last season that him and Huberdeau didn't work is when he should've been trying to move him instead of waiting until he priced himself out and you knew you had to deal him because you weren't willing to pay him what he wanted.
I think Conroy went into the season mistakenly assuming that Sutter’s rigid system restricted our offense and that we’d be firmly in a playoff spot if things were a little looser.

I’m thankful that Lindholm and Hanifin turned down their offers because we didn’t win anything with them on sweetheart RFA deals and we certainly wouldn’t win anything if they took up 17m of our cap for 8 more years. I’m sure Conroy recognizes that now as well.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
It's not the worse deal, but it is definitely a little underwhelming. Market sets the price though and I choose to believe this was the best they could do. Grushnikov is still a project and defenceman take a while to develop so it's alright.

Reactions: nuck and flames23

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think I see at least part of Conroy's plan.

Defensemen take longer to develop than forwards. It's practically a trope at this point.

Load up on young prospect defensemen, and draft impact/high skill forwards that can play early.

It might work, too if Wolf turns out.

He's still building from the net out! Treliving 2.0!!! :sarcasm:

I don't know if they truly valued him more than their 2024 first... that seems suspect. But at least maybe it means he's retained value as a second rounder?

Basically two seconds for Tanev which ain't bad. It's barely off the floor of expectations, didn't hit the hope for an overpay. Seems fair. 🤷‍♂️

I dunno. I think you have to realize that the Stars needed double retention to fit him in. They have 2 mil cap space left but that's obviously for other moves. It was suspected and known for a while that the cap space was too tight for many contending teams. Tanev return is fair, it's not a haul.

Unless the above tweet is true and we got basically a 1st + 2nd... but nah. At this point, it's 2nd + 2nd at best IMO and initially it looked closer to a 2nd + 3rd, but with that same level of skepticism as Sharangovich for Toffoli.

Like if other teams have complex needs to get the deal to work for them AND are refusing to pay, not much we can do. Tanev is on a great contract AAV, but keep in mind, other teams needed Calgary to retain on Zadorov if the deal was going to work. I don't think it's as simple as "we will retain". There's more seemingly going on.

It's not the worse deal, but it is definitely a little underwhelming. Market sets the price though and I choose to believe this was the best they could do. Grushnikov is still a project and defenceman take a while to develop so it's alright.

I think it might not have been the best deal, but the one of the only deals close enough to completion, so Conroy pulled the trigger so he could focus on Hanifin. Similar idea to Zadorov.

With NJD's involvement, I also can't help but think they're hammering away at a concept to see if they can get it to work prior to the TDL, or if it's a concept they'd revisit in the off season. That's my guess.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They said on 960 that they heard it was Johansen from COL. Happy to have dodged that bullet, Johansen is a born loser.

Ceci was the player the Oil wanted to send. Ceci is not good. Would signal to me at least Conroy is wanting the Flames to be good next year.

Reactions: joescores

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They said on 960 that they heard it was Johansen from COL. Happy to have dodged that bullet, Johansen is a born loser.

Ceci was the player the Oil wanted to send. Ceci is not good. Would signal to me at least Conroy is wanting the Flames to be good next year.
The one guy I forgot to mention was RyJo.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
NHL trades would be more interesting if midseason buyouts were permitted. Because I would have taken RyJo and a 1st and bought him out as soon as the Tanev paperwork went through

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
NHL trades would be more interesting if midseason buyouts were permitted. Because I would have taken RyJo and a 1st and bought him out as soon as the Tanev paperwork went through
I'd rather have 2 shots at the future, I think. If they want us to take RyJo, they should pay us for it. The first really isn't any more valuable than a 2nd and Grush IMO. I'd take RyJo if they gave us on of Olausson, Behrens or Foudy

Khrox

May 31, 2018
If he wants to win, I’d only expect to see him back in Calgary if Dallas wins. He’s not doing that in Calgary.
Could do a 1 year deal with a handshake like what Monahan did with Montreal "Sign with us, and if we're not in a playoff spot, we'll trade you to a contender"

Reactions: joescores

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

That’s awesome 👏🏻, will be great to see him develop. I’m Pumped with the way Conroy is running things. Return wasn’t huge, but I like how he’s building asset depth. The Flames have decent scouting, so it’s nice to see the change to acquiring young pieces, picks and clearing space.

If Conroy can hold off any meddling from Murray and the boys, I have a feeling every fan will like it in a few years.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
2nd shift with the Wranglers, Grushnikov beats the Eagles forward to the puck on a soft dump in, Grush moved it up to Schwindt who got it to Gallant, who set up Ciona who scored with a nice shot.

No point, but he started the breakout.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
i was ok with it before but if it took taking on Ryan Johanson to get a 1st for Sean Walker then getting a second and a prospect without a multiyear cap dump attached for Tanev is great.

Reactions: tmurfin

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
i was ok with it before but if it took taking on Ryan Johanson to get a 1st for Sean Walker then getting a second and a prospect without a multiyear cap dump attached for Tanev is great.
I am still undecided on that Tanev return tbh...

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I am still undecided on that Tanev return tbh...

Putting aside exactly how much we do or do not like Grushnikov, I see the argument that 2nd + 2nd (Grushnikov) + unlikely 3rd is a better return than a late 1st + awful cap dump.

I think I would've preferred 1st + RyJo slightly, just cuz I can imagine RyJo bouncing back here like Kuz.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Putting aside exactly how much we do or do not like Grushnikov, I see the argument that 2nd + 2nd (Grushnikov) + unlikely 3rd is a better return than a late 1st + awful cap dump.

I think I would've preferred 1st + RyJo slightly, just cuz I can imagine RyJo bouncing back here like Kuz.
Plus the hit would be only 4mil for another year. As per your say, he could of bounce back and be flipped for a 3rd easily...

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

It’s also important to note that the 1st is in 2025. There’s an argument to be made that it’s a stronger draft I suppose but a first today is generally worth more than a first tomorrow

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad