Confirmed with Link: Tanev (75% retained) to Dallas for 2024 2nd, Artem Grushnikov, conditional 3rd in 2026 (if Stars reach SCF)

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
It’s also important to note that the 1st is in 2025. There’s an argument to be made that it’s a stronger draft I suppose but a first today is generally worth more than a first tomorrow
I don't understand that last sentence. You mean the player drafted in 2024 is an advantage because he will get a year of NHL exposure unlike the 2025 pick? But that's not given right? Plus as per your message- 2025 deeper draft...I would probably take that offer... no way COL falls to top 10...

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Could we have gotten more if we held out? Other teams are upgrading bigtime and now the Leafs really need someone like Tanev to compete.

Reactions: joescores

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Could we have gotten more if we held out? Other teams are upgrading bigtime and now the Leafs really need someone like Tanev to compete.

Based on the other trades going on right now... I'm not sure we could have.

Flames still have 5 mil deadline cap space. I'm curious to see how it all works out for Hanifin and if Conroy weaponizes that space to broker a big deal or take on another interesting reclamation project.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I don't understand that last sentence. You mean the player drafted in 2024 is an advantage because he will get a year of NHL exposure unlike the 2025 pick? But that's not given right? Plus as per your message- 2025 deeper draft...I would probably take that offer... no way COL falls to top 10...

What it means is that if you expect both picks to be in the 25-32 range then the 2024 pick is worth more because in theory that player is ready sooner. It very well might be a deeper draft but it’s kind of like a time value of money thing

A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow

Reactions: joescores

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
LOL. Seems like a lopsided deal in favour of of Colorado... but then according to @thaman8765678 I'm the biggest Flames homer on the board so I could be wrong.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
@Rubi that’s a huge ask to take on Johansen’s contract for another year and keep his lack of effort around the rest of the roster. And the Avs were probably expecting us to take the full contract. If so, you need to have the value to match: 1st/2nd for Tanev and 1st to take Johansen. If it was 1st, good prospect and Johansen at 50%, that’s a more enticing proposal but I’d still have reservations.

We can only take on so many high dollar reclamation projects and so many offensive players with questionable work ethics or defensive habits. Maybe if we hadn’t already acquired Kuzmenko?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad