Tampa Ties Best Regular Season EVER: 62 Wins

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Except that '95-96 Wings didn't win cup
Those quite clearly are separate comments, the latter of which notes that Tampa would be in a special place were they to add more hardware to the trophy case. And yes, that is something Detroit didn’t accomplish that season.

Loseipeg

Oct 6, 2017
well they were on pace for only 61 wins so try again. And if you still think you are right, would you prefer we cherry pick Tampa's best 48 game stretch?

EDIT: just to prove you more wrong. Tampa's best 48 game stretch was 11/28/18 to 3/18/19, where they went 39-6-3 for 81 points(7 SO vs 11 SO for Hawks). That is a 67 win, 138pt pace. Regular season only, this season is more impressive. Obviously the hawks went on to get a cup, but that isn't the regular season
uhh, why do you get to pick the best 48 game sample? the hawks only had one 48 game sample. also, their last game they started all AHLers, so its a 134 point pace

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don’t understand the need to argue which exceptional season was the most exceptional. Just appreciate each for the specific time in which it occurred.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Interestingly, we've got a lot of "cheap" rookies that we can now start to rotate into the bottom half of our line up as the older players get more expensive and move on.
Yeah, you guys have drafted and scouted really well. Found a guy like Gourde who was buried in the Sharks system and was a complete afterthought.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Yeah, you guys have drafted and scouted really well. Found a guy like Gourde who was buried in the Sharks system and was a complete afterthought.

I'm hoping this continues. Sadly, others are going to pirate our staff if we do win it all and then it gets really tough.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Detroit had to face an also stacked Avs team in the conference finals and lost. Will be interesting to see if a team like Washington or Boston can do the same thing.

Much like that Detroit squad Tampa will likely face their toughest challenge in the East.

People forget that Quebec/Colorado finished #1 in their final season in the East without Roy.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How are you more impressed by Detroit's record? There was no parity back then.

I see this get parroted in this thread but it doesn't reflect reality. There was no parity? Did Detroit have all of the best skaters while everyone else was left to divide up the scraps? No. Detroit had 62 wins, with no shootouts or 3 on 3 OT, both of which would have been beneficial to Detroit. Detroit had seven ties that year and I can't imagine all seven of them going against Detroit had the current rules applied. Tampa Bay had We aren't talking about the NHL in 1968, when half of the teams were recent expansion teams.

Factually, Detroit and Tampa Bay had the same number of wins. That is beyond debate. Tampa Bay played in a league with an advantageous overtime and shootout system, and Detroit played in a league with a few more bottom feeders. How those factors impacted wins is debatable. Exaggerations like "there was no parity back then" only indicate that the poster doesn't know what they are talking about.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I hated the habs but Tampa's team with 62 wins is nothing compared to the 76/77 habs, had there been OT/SO's they may have 70 wins in 80 games. Including the playoffs they only lost 10 games all year..unreal!

Reactions: JLaw1719

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
I don’t understand the need to argue which exceptional season was the most exceptional. Just appreciate each for the specific time in which it occurred.
If OP didn't mention that 76-77 Habs record was not so impressive because of... "lack of parity", I wouldn't have done it but he did. And if the Habs had OT and SO back then, they would have had 65-70 wins and no one would talk about it now.

Reactions: Art of Magic

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
It is worth pointing out that 95-96 Detroit had two award winners: Norris to Coffey and Selke to Fedorov. TB may end up with three other awards: Hart, Vezina, and Adams.

Chelios (in Chicago) won the Norris. Coffey won in the shortened season a year earlier.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Much like that Detroit squad Tampa will likely face their toughest challenge in the East.

People forget that Quebec/Colorado finished #1 in their final season in the East without Roy.
They also traded a player from a position of power (Nolan) for a gamechanger on defense (Ozolinsh) at the start of the year.

It was a fair trade, no doubt, but it made the Avs an even more rounded team.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Weak argument. You could say the league is more "watered down" today than it was back then.... take the best 18 x 18 (12 forwards + 6 dmen) 324 skaters today and start slotting them onto 18 teams... now tell me that wouldn't be a better league than today's NHL.

8 losses! that's losing only 1 of every 10 games.

... but like I said... the Lightning had an amazing regular season... congrats!!! Dominant. It definitely ranks as one of the best regular seasons of all time!
There's a huge population increase as well as the addition of players outside of north America. It's a great accomplishment regardless of the year.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Weak argument. You could say the league is more "watered down" today than it was back then.... take the best 18 x 18 (12 forwards + 6 dmen) 324 skaters today and start slotting them onto 18 teams... now tell me that wouldn't be a better league than today's NHL.

8 losses! that's losing only 1 of every 10 games.

... but like I said... the Lightning had an amazing regular season... congrats!!! Dominant. It definitely ranks as one of the best regular seasons of all time!
There's a huge population increase as well as the addition of players outside of north America. It's a great accomplishment regardless of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad