Tampa Ties Best Regular Season EVER: 62 Wins

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
It is official. The Tampa Bay Lightning have tied what seemed like an unreachable mark: 62 wins in the regular season, first set by the 1995-1996 Detroit Red Wings.

Some will say that Tampa benefited from the loser point. That indeed is a credible argument. But the current level of parity in the NHL and the existence of a salary cap, in my opinion, makes Tampa’s feat all the more impressive. Detroit was at the very top of the league in terms of salary spent during their run, had a hall of fame coach (Bowman - THE goat), and several hall of famers (Lidstrom, Yzerman, Festisov, Larionov, Coffey, Primeau, Fedorov (edited)). I was always in awe watching that team dominate night in and out. I never imagined it was possible again, especially with a salary cap.

Tampa now has to turn its sights to the playoffs to solidify its place in history as one of the best teams of all time.

P.S. Montreal fans - yes, I know, your 1976-77 iteration only got to play 80 games. Parity did not exist back then.

Last edited:

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
It is official. The Tampa Bay Lightning have tied what seemed like an unreachable mark: 62 wins in the regular season, first set by the 1995-1996 Detroit Red Wings.

Some will say that Tampa benefited from the loser point. That indeed is a credible argument. But the current level of parity in the NHL and the existence of a salary cap, in my opinion, makes Tampa’s feat all the more impressive. Detroit was at the very top of the league in terms of salary spent during their run, had a hall of fame coach (Bowman - THE goat), and several hall of famers (Lidstrom, Yzerman, Festisov, Larionov, Coffey, Primeau, Federov). I was always in awe watching that team dominate night in and out. I never imagined it was possible again, especially with a salary cap.

Tampa now has to turn its sights to the playoffs to solidify its place in history as one of the best teams of all time.

P.S. Montreal fans - yes, I know, your 1976-77 iteration only got to play 80 games. Parity did not exist back then.
Seriously you could have spelled Fedorov right for once...

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Ya but there was no overtime back then too. They could have won many more games but still congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning for their incredible season.

P.S. It's FedOrov and not FedErov by the way...

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Been a absolute treat to watch all year. I don’t care about the row it’s not easy to win in any fashion. Truly impressive feat for the Tb team.

Reactions: Rschmitz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ya but there was no overtime back then too. They could have won many more games but still congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning for their incredible season.

P.S. It's FedOrov and not FedErov by the way...

As Pierre Lebrun pointed out: While that's true, bad teams in those eras were atrocious. Parity has slimmed that margin. Those things probably balance out.

This is an incredible accomplishment.

meatwad4343

Apr 19, 2018
Tampa
Lightning are probably more impressive when you consider there wasn't a salary cap and you can't hoard talent now like you could or have to worry about structuring your team under a cap. I doubt you'll see a team match 62 in the cap Era again for a long long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad