Tampa Ties Best Regular Season EVER: 62 Wins

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Wait so was our season amazing and anything but a cup is a bust or was our season not very impressive because we only won 50 in regulation. Can someone please clarify

Tropical Ice

Nov 29, 2018
Main part goes to drafting amazingly, i'll give you guys that. That said, at the of the end it's still an advantage over other teams in the league. Toronto drafted well too but look at how much they're being forced to pay their players (relative to the contracts Tampa has been able to get). The difference is massive.
No Toronto is giving away contracts to unproven players at above market prices out of desperation. They did it to themselves. Bolts told Stamkos they would be below market in order to build a team, and he accepted it. Players want to play in Tampa, taxes help, but it's not the only reason.

Reactions: DaBolts

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
No Toronto is giving away contracts to unproven players at above market prices out of desperation. They did it to themselves. Bolts told Stamkos they would be below market in order to build a team, and he accepted it. Players want to play in Tampa, taxes help, but it's not the only reason.
Everyone thinks taxes is the only reason to choose Tampa and not weather, cost of living, no media pressure, team success, beaches, housing options and more. Sure taxes play a small part but when you account for jock taxes and federal taxes, the no state tax ends up being only a few % per year at most when compared to the average NHL team

Reactions: Tropical Ice

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Everyone thinks taxes is the only reason to choose Tampa and not weather, cost of living, no media pressure, team success, beaches, housing options and more. Sure taxes play a small part but when you account for jock taxes and federal taxes, the no state tax ends up being only a few % per year at most when compared to the average NHL team
The Tampa Bay area is a beautiful place.

Signed: Someone who has spent a few months every winter for about 10 years on Isla del Sol, between St. Petersburg and St. Pete Beach. Viva Pasta Bella Pizzeria (see below) in St. Pete Beach and the B-21 wine store in Tarpon Springs.

PS: The Pizzeria was called Buona Pizza in Dolphin Village and Ijust saw that it's now Buona Ristorante.

Change of ownership ?

Last edited:

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
The Tampa Bay area is a beautiful place.

Signed: Someone who has spent a few months every winter for about 10 years on Isla del Sol, between St. Petersburg and St. Pete Beach. Viva Pasta Bella Pizzeria and the B-21 wine store in Tarpon Springs.
Thats a pretty area. I know some people with a townhouse on Tierra Verde (next island over). I've miss the weather a lot since coming to cali

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It is official. The Tampa Bay Lightning have tied what seemed like an unreachable mark: 62 wins in the regular season, first set by the 1995-1996 Detroit Red Wings.

Some will say that Tampa benefited from the loser point. That indeed is a credible argument. But the current level of parity in the NHL and the existence of a salary cap, in my opinion, makes Tampa’s feat all the more impressive. Detroit was at the very top of the league in terms of salary spent during their run, had a hall of fame coach (Bowman - THE goat), and several hall of famers (Lidstrom, Yzerman, Festisov, Larionov, Coffey, Primeau, Fedorov (edited)). I was always in awe watching that team dominate night in and out. I never imagined it was possible again, especially with a salary cap.

Tampa now has to turn its sights to the playoffs to solidify its place in history as one of the best teams of all time.

P.S. Montreal fans - yes, I know, your 1976-77 iteration only got to play 80 games. Parity did not exist back then.
BUT!

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Wait so was our season amazing and anything but a cup is a bust or was our season not very impressive because we only won 50 in regulation. Can someone please clarify
Your season was great, not the best ever, but it was very, very good, and bouncing in the first round is a little disappointing. But that's not that bad, as one team always has to lose.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
People will now remember this season for the four-game sweep rather than the shootout-inflated record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->