Tampa Ties Best Regular Season EVER: 62 Wins

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
It is official. The Tampa Bay Lightning have tied what seemed like an unreachable mark: 62 wins in the regular season, first set by the 1995-1996 Detroit Red Wings.

Some will say that Tampa benefited from the loser point. That indeed is a credible argument. But the current level of parity in the NHL and the existence of a salary cap, in my opinion, makes Tampa’s feat all the more impressive. Detroit was at the very top of the league in terms of salary spent during their run, had a hall of fame coach (Bowman - THE goat), and several hall of famers (Lidstrom, Yzerman, Festisov, Larionov, Coffey, Primeau, Fedorov (edited)). I was always in awe watching that team dominate night in and out. I never imagined it was possible again, especially with a salary cap.

Tampa now has to turn its sights to the playoffs to solidify its place in history as one of the best teams of all time.

P.S. Montreal fans - yes, I know, your 1976-77 iteration only got to play 80 games. Parity did not exist back then.
What's scary is that we're likely to be even better next season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ties record for regular season wins

‘Its not a choke if they dont win the Cup’

Its Cup or die for Tampa, they wont be repeating that season

They probably won't win this many games, but might actually have a better team. SFY built a nice organization, and set them up for several years after he left.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Worst team in the league when Wings won 62 games (1995-96): Ottawa Senators
Worst team in the league when TB won 62 games: Ottawa Senators

Not sure what you're trying to get at here....

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
This is what happens when you have a tax free team in the league and they end up having 15% more capspace than everyone else.

I wonder what the GMs would think about a tax adjusted salary cap.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What's scary is that we're likely to be even better next season.
They probably won't win this many games, but might actually have a better team. SFY built a nice organization, and set them up for several years after he left.
Not exactly wrong but I dont see a team breaking 60 wins again for a little while

With the money you gotta dole out to re-signings as well as likely general improvement of the Atlantic division (Florida, Buffalo, and Montreal) as well as the Metro ( NJ, Philly, Carolina)...

It still doesnt change my stance of cup or due for Tampa this year. When youre setting win records, its like Golden State - youre a super team(in hocket standards) and youre expected to win the Cup

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not exactly wrong but I dont see a team breaking 60 wins again for a little while

With the money you gotta dole out to re-signings as well as likely general improvement of the Atlantic division (Florida, Buffalo, and Montreal) as well as the Metro ( NJ, Philly, Carolina)...

It still doesnt change my stance of cup or due for Tampa this year. When youre setting win records, its like Golden State - youre a super team(in hocket standards) and youre expected to win the Cup

Yea I think we all understand that. Im actually more in the Cup or Bust section because SY will be gone after this year and I want to win one while hes still here. He is the reason why we have had such deep runs since hes been here. I think that would be the disappointing thing for me if we do lose. Obviously it would suck to lose either way. I do feel that this wont be our only chance at it, as many seem to act like it will be.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Pretty sure Alex Barre Boulet is leading the AHL in rookie scoring, just for starters. We can absorb periphery losses pretty easily (Miller, Callahan, even Palat), and the emergence of Erik Cernak solidifies our top-4 going into next year, even if we can't bring Stralman back. The following year could be a step backward, but the team could be better next year than this, even if we don't get to the same amount of wins. Kind of like the '97 Wings vs. the '96 Wings. They didn't win 62 games, but they won a cup.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tampa is a great team but the old records are far more impressive.

Coaching, goalie, and team wins are all tainted stats since the shootout.

Yes and no. Parity has made it impossible to assemble a pre-cap team via UFA, and bad teams in those days were just ridiculously bad and easy to beat up on. The margin is a lot different now because of the cap.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It is official. The Tampa Bay Lightning have tied what seemed like an unreachable mark: 62 wins in the regular season, first set by the 1995-1996 Detroit Red Wings.

(1) Some will say that Tampa benefited from the loser point. That indeed is a credible argument. But the current level of parity in the NHL and the existence of a salary cap, in my opinion, makes Tampa’s feat all the more impressive. Detroit was at the very top of the league in terms of salary spent during their run, had a hall of fame coach (Bowman - THE goat), and several hall of famers (Lidstrom, Yzerman, Festisov, Larionov, Coffey, Primeau, Fedorov (edited)). I was always in awe watching that team dominate night in and out. I never imagined it was possible again, especially with a salary cap.

Tampa now has to turn its sights to the playoffs to solidify its place in history as one of the best teams of all time.

(2) P.S. Montreal fans - yes, I know, your 1976-77 iteration only got to play 80 games. Parity did not exist back then.
(1) What do loser points have to do with this topic ?

One important difference is that every game ends with a winner nowadays.

Detroit had OT, but no shootouts.

They won 59 in regulation time + 3 in OT.

(2) Montréal had no OT/SO.

They won 60 games in regulation time.

Tampa had 56 wins in regulation/OT + 6 wins in SO.

They won 49 games in regulation time.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Nice achievement, but...

Reactions: WingsFan95

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Yes and no. Parity has made it impossible to assemble a pre-cap team via UFA, and bad teams in those days were just ridiculously bad and easy to beat up on. The margin is a lot different now because of the cap.

Parity doesn’t exist in the NHL. Look at the standings for the past 10 years.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I wonder what the GMs would think about a tax adjusted salary cap.

Quick question....what does taxes have to do with Kuch taking a bridge deal? I'll hang up and wait for an answer. Thanks.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tampa is a great team but the old records are far more impressive.

Coaching, goalie, and team wins are all tainted stats since the shootout.

And those team had the advantage of no salary cap, assembling whatever team they wanted, how does that not inflate wins?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
(1) What do loser points have to do with this topic ?

One important difference is that every game ends with a winner nowadays.

Detroit had OT, but no shootouts.

They won 59 in regulation time + 3 in OT.

(2) Montréal had no OT/SO.

They won 60 games in regulation time.

Tampa had 56 wins in regulation/OT + 6 wins in SO.

They won 49 games in regulation time.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Nice achievement, but...
Tampa is the only team to do it in the salary cap and parity era so there is that.

LawManN

May 7, 2015
Tampa, FL
Proud of the Bolts! Great (unbelievable almost) season and it is not over yet, not by a long shot!
People may argue semantics here, about "shoot out points" or the "tax advantage" but it is all drowned out by the truth that like them or not, the Lightning had an epic year.
Congrats guys!

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Proud of the Bolts! Great (unbelievable almost) season and it is not over yet, not by a long shot!
People may argue semantics here, about "shoot out points" or the "tax advantage" but it is all drowned out by the truth that like them or not, the Lightning had an epic year.
Congrats guys!

Just to be helpful, semantics are discussions about the meanings of words, not quibbles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad