Tampa has bigger gap over 2nd place than 2nd place has over 17th place

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
The whole "choking" narrative is so simple-minded. If we are in a best of 7 series up against healthy Caps/Leafs or even Pens and Bruins I'd say that we are at best ~60/40 favorites and losing that isn't that big of a surprise and that's just the eastern conference. You'll always need luck to win the cup and I think the Caps are a perfect example of how long it can take to do that.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Yet since 2011 haven't won the SC. Maybe you need to put Torts behind the bench :laugh:

Bull and TB is already a serious contender for choke champ of the teens.

1) Bolts had a great prior reg season and lost to one of those Caps teams :snide: See above sentence.
2) Let's see the Bolts beat those prime Pitt teams, who were also favored by the NHL establishment for obvious reasons. I wouldn't bet on TB.
3) In each of the four playoff series between Pitt & Wash the winner went on to win the SC. The East conf. divisional structure and playoff format had them facing off in the 2nd round. Most fans considered those series the real EC finals. Put that in your pipe and smoke it :cool:
4) If Pitt finishes WC2 you might have your hands full this season. In that scenario I might find myself rooting for the black & gold :eek:

In 2010 a hot Habs goalie b2b upset the Prez Trophy winner and the defending SC champs. Don't get too haughty.
List of Washington Capitals seasons - Wikipedia

List of Tampa Bay Lightning seasons - Wikipedia

Go take a look at the regular season finishes and see who you consider a choker.

Here's a little preview.

From 2008 to 2017 the Capitals won their division 7 times with 3 President's Trophies. In the playoffs for only those years, they lost in the first round 3 times and the 2nd round 4 times.

From 2008 to 2018, the Lightning have won their division 1 time and made the playoffs 5 times. In their playoff appearances, they have made the Stanley Cup finals 1 time, the conference finals 3 times, and lost in the first round once.

Objectively, do you really think they really are bigger chokers than the pre-Cup Capitals?

Choking has to do with expectations vs. results. The Lightning have come out of their division 4 out of 5 times while only winning the regular season division 1 time.

The Lightning have underperformed a total of 1 time in the playoffs, while the Capitals did it every year for a decade. I'm glad you guys got your Cup but it isn't even f***ing close who is the biggest choker.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yet since 2011 haven't won the SC. Maybe you need to put Torts behind the bench :laugh:

Bull and TB is already a serious contender for choke champ of the teens.

1) Bolts had a great prior reg season and lost to one of those Caps teams :snide: See above sentence.
2) Let's see the Bolts beat those prime Pitt teams, who were also favored by the NHL establishment for obvious reasons. I wouldn't bet on TB.
3) In each of the four playoff series between Pitt & Wash the winner went on to win the SC. The East conf. divisional structure and playoff format had them facing off in the 2nd round. Most fans considered those series the real EC finals. Put that in your pipe and smoke it :cool:
4) If Pitt finishes WC2 you might have your hands full this season. In that scenario I might find myself rooting for the black & gold :eek:

In 2010 a hot Habs goalie b2b upset the Prez Trophy winner and the defending SC champs. Don't get too haughty.

Didn't take the bolts over a decade to get out of the 2nd round. You have no leg to stand on, that's just embarrassing.

/thread

Reactions: Hoek and Master P

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I think Tampa has the best chance in today's NHL to be a dynasty or stay at the top as did the old Red Wings pre-cap era.

They can afford to keep their players more than any other relevant team due to the tax situation. Throw in the weather and a smart individual would decide to become a Lightning fan.

Odds are there will be many more bountiful years/decades on the horizon.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
For those people talking about choking. Its gonna be pretty hard to beat a literal decade of failing to get passed the 2nd round. :laugh:

vBjvcsT.png

Reactions: Hoek

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
The Bolts bandwagon is at an all time high this season.

Wonder where all these "fans" are gonna go when this type of season is no longer the norm. Enjoy it while you can.

I don't feel like the Bolts will win the Cup. I hate when teams dominate in the regular season because it never seems to translate to the playoffs, so I'd prefer them not be as dominant during the regular season. Seems like a recipe for disaster, I want my teams regular season to be really good, but with some periods of adversity or ways to bring them down to earth. This season is crazy good.

Hope I'm wrong and the Bolts cruise to the Cup, but the pessimist in me is concerned.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
We could win the next three and go pointless for the remaining 21 and make the playoffs.
Wow, my brain is mush today. No idea where I got that number of games remaining from. Point was, they could get 5 points the rest of the season and still make it in.

Reactions: JoVel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't feel like the Bolts will win the Cup. I hate when teams dominate in the regular season because it never seems to translate to the playoffs, so I'd prefer them not be as dominant during the regular season.
It really doesn't matter whether we finish with 100 or 125 points. Our chances of winning the Cup are pretty much the same. The whole "peaking too early" thing is bullshit.

Reactions: Master P

Newt91

Feb 8, 2019
Who wouldn't want to play in Tampa. Good taxes, good weather, competitive team and you can live life away from the rink since people generally won't recognize you.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
I believe one year the canucks were 1st in about every team category and still didnt win the cup

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Who wouldn't want to play in Tampa. Good taxes, good weather, competitive team and you can live life away from the rink since people generally won't recognize you.
Honestly, and I say this with absolutely no experience being a start or pro-athlete, i'd rather play in a big market(CHI, NYR, MTL, TOR, LAK, BOS etc..)

Not that Tampa isn't a big market but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad