Tampa has bigger gap over 2nd place than 2nd place has over 17th place

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Am I crazy or does anyone else think Tampa should find ways to occasionally sit guys like Kucherov and Stamkos as load management and get them ready for playoffs?

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
This whole thread has turned into a massive redirection. Taking a truly positive thing and morphing it into a way to rain on Tampa fans parade right in the middle of their potentially historic season.

Wow...lol

What do you expect though? In recent years, the Lightning were:

*up 2-1 in the Final vs. Chicago. And lost.
*up 3-2 in the ECF vs. Pittsburgh. And lost.
*up 3-2 in the ECF vs. Washington. And lost.

That's all since 2015. The Lightning have been on the doorstep repeatedly, only to not get the job done.

There's something to be said for enjoying the good times while they're happening, and I'd like to think I'm doing that myself, personally, but part of my whole mindset this season, for better and for worse (during the rare times where they've struggled for a few games), has been that the playoffs are going to be what defines this season more than ever before for the Lightning. This is the best team the Lightning have ever had. This might be the best Lightning team we see for a very long time to come. This season really does feel like a now or never opportunity; if this core can't get the job done now, odds are it's never going to happen.

I really enjoyed last season, for the most part, as well, but after the way they blew the ECF? I've never watched a highlight again from last season. The way things ended ruined all of that. I can't watch those highlights without a big sense of "what if". And, as much as I don't want to, I'm completely prepared to do that again this year if things end up going down the drain as well. Fair or not, the Lightning are firmly in "Cup or bust" territory, so while many people in this thread are (probably) being too black-and-white about it, fact is there's nothing the Lightning are going to accomplish in the regular season that anyone outside of TB fans is going to care about. The Lightning have proven to be a regular season juggernaut, more-or-less, for the last five seasons now. Big deal. What have they accomplished with that? Because I can tell you that Pittsburgh has been more-or-less the same as the Lightning in terms of regular season accolades in recent years (maybe not even; I don't think they've won their division since 2014), and yet they've got two Cups to show for that. Lightning are a long ways away from having that to show with this cast of characters.

Not so fun fact: Since 2011, the Lightning have made the playoffs five teams, and were eventually eliminated all five times. Except for 2014 against Montréal, the team that eliminated the Lightning eventually went on to win the Stanley Cup. Gets kinda tiring, doesn't it?

---

I will just say that, whoever that was above who broke down the myth of the Presidents' Cup curse, thank you for that. I wrote the same basic thing on another website recently. Even if we look back at the last 15 teams to win that trophy, and notice that only two of them have gone on to win the Cup, that's still nearly twice as successful compared to the unweighted odds. Fact is, 15 of 16 playoffs teams will fail to win the Cup every playoff year. You'll often find that the best regular season team in MLB doesn't win the World Series, either (unless it's the Red Sox with the best record, for some irritating reason).

If they play the pens in the first round they're done.

The Lightning would be expected to win that matchup, and for good reason, but facing the Penguins in the first round would be about the worst outcome imaginable. Of all the other teams realistically in that #8 seed discussion - Columbus, Montréal, Carolina, Buffalo, even Philadelphia - any and all of them would present a more manageable task than Pittsburgh would. You never know when Sid and Malkin will decide to be two of the five best players in the world.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Devils had our number in the regular season and Boston had been a nightmare for us for years. May wanna recheck the playoffs from last season to see how that played out.

I also find it funny you start out by dismissing the regular season and then say the Leafs could take Tampa cause they do it in the regular season. Lul.

It's also kind of funny how Leafs fans are acting like the regular season doesn't matter, and they would take us in the playoffs because we choke in the playoffs, without even stopping to consider their own playoff history. But they've never been the most self-aware bunch.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
First time since the Pens (1995) that a team has 3, 70 point scorers by game 60. Kuch, Point, Stammer. This season is nuts, particulary with Kuch on a 130 pace.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
17th place? What is this garbage?

There’s 10th place or 20th place but noooo you just had to pick a weird ass number. This is bull****

How does this comment have ANY likes let alone 20?

OP didnt pick choose 17th place; that’s just what you get with the difference in points between first and second

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
you know its REGULAR season, correct. And some good teams will get better at the deadline, like my leafs. i think the leafs can take tampa. they beat them all the time in the regular season, even without matthews and nylander.

If Leafs play their best I think they have a good shot. Tampa has a lot of guys that can skate, pass and snipe with precision.

When 2nd round calibre teams take perimiter one timers away, you have to be able to go to the net and will your way to some greasy goals. Their core at times has struggled to do that. But this year they seem more versatile than ever. But their top guys will need to show that they want it as bad as anybody.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
The 05-06 Red Wings won the presidents trophy had 58 wins, 124 points and +96 goal differential and lost in the first round to the 8th seeded Edmonton Oilers.

The same season Ottawa had a +103 goal differential, 1st in the east and lost to Buffalo in the 2nd round.

Point is, the odds for 15 other teams vs 1 in the playoffs is much greater in hockey moreso than probably any other sport.

Very true. But he challenge is in picking one team. I had a funny suspicion about the Devils the year they won the cup. I bet on them to win the cup that year before the season started and had a pocketful of cash when the cup was raised. I could've put a dollar on every team and walked away with a dollar fifty.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yet another thread about the Lightning that has been hijacked by obnoxious Leafs fans who want to bitch about taxes and talk about how great their team supposedly is. Typical Leafs fan behavior. And they wonder why nobody can stand them.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Tampa has a pretty rough stretch to end the season. Final 4 weeks/13 games they play

WSH 3 times
Boston twice
Toronto twice
Also STL, MTL and CAR who will be fighting for playoff spot/position
Only 3 games are against non playoff bound teams(OTT DET and ARI)

To top it off last 4 games are away games including a back to back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad