GDT: Tampa Bay @ Ottawa - 2pm 03/23/13

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
2 deflected goals and one where the guy was left all alone at the side of the net. Maybe you pin the 3rd on him, but Lehner was solid.

I thought he was slow getting over for the 2nd goal but the 3rd goal wasn't good at all. Especially when they needed a save to stop their momentum.

He own reaction after the game indicates he'd be the first to tell you he didn't have a good 3rd.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Ugly game looking at it in the present but could be a blessing (from MacLean's POV). A big and important "on-the-job" lesson for the young guys about complacency and not sticking to the game plan for a full 60

Agree, if seems to me that they had no idea how to play with a 4 goal lead. They're not use to it. ;)

VermetteFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Not entirely Lehners fault but that is his worst game this season save percentage wise, with a .906

Mar 21 '13 BOS @ OTT L 2 29 27 .931 0 0 59:41 2 0 0 0
Mar 17 '13 WPG @ OTT W 1 26 25 .962 0 0 59:37 1 0 0 0
Mar 13 '13 OTT @ MTL O 3 45 42 .933 0 0 65:00 1 2 0 0
Mar 11 '13 BOS @ OTT O 2 35 33 .943 0 0 65:00 2 0 0 0
Mar 8 '13 OTT @ NYR W 2 35 33 .943 0 0 60:00 2 0 0 0
Mar 3 '13 OTT @ NYI O 2 35 33 .943 0 0 65:00 2 0 0 0
Feb 28 '13 OTT @ BOS O 2 46 44 .957 0 0 63:38 2 0 0 0

Montresor

Feb 16, 2013
Ottawa
Started to sweat a bit in the 3rd, but it could be a lesson to this young team that you still got to play hard even with a big lead, at least I hope that's what they take from today's game. At least it came with a win too.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
What did we learn today boys and girls:

BM will not be trading a goaltender this year. Next season Lehner will start in Bingo and Anderson and Bishop will play in Ottawa. Lehner can't complain and think he has nothing more to learn in the AHL.

...and no .... I don't blame Lehner for every goal. Smith may have tipped one again and won't see ice time when leading in the last 5 minutes too often anymore but if you're BM what incentive do you really have to trade Bishop unless someone overpays by a lot.

Lats playing with the 2 young guys has given Stach another option.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Maclean took them to task after the Boston game for letting up at the end of the periods,I expect this is really going to drive the lesson home.

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
Nobody got injured this game!

tumblr_lylp1q1rv41r6aoq4o1_500.gif

Caje

Mar 18, 2010

BM will not be trading a goaltender this year. Next season Lehner will start in Bingo and Anderson and Bishop will play in Ottawa. Lehner can't complain and think he has nothing more to learn in the AHL.

...and no .... I don't blame Lehner for every goal. Smith may have tipped one again and won't see ice time when leading in the last 5 minutes too often anymore but if you're BM what incentive do you really have to trade Bishop unless someone overpays by a lot.

I agree. Lehner needs another year or two in the AHL to get all the kinks ironed out of his game. Sign Bishop for a 2 or 3 year contract to back-up Anderson, and then trade him once Lehner is ready.

VVS

Nov 22, 2007
Ottawa, ON

I agree. Lehner needs another year or two in the AHL to get all the kinks ironed out of his game. Sign Bishop for a 2 or 3 year contract to back-up Anderson, and then trade him once Lehner is ready.

Wow. Kneejerk much?

He has one bad game, and you guys wanna bury him in the minors for another 2 years. Did you miss his previous games where he was kept the team in it while they barely managed to score 2 goals (on a good night)?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Bishop will be moved by the draft. Part of Lehner's learning curve has to take place in the NHL, he is not going to be a Vezina goalie immediately after his last AHL gmes

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Oh good grief. This is the first game this season where Lehner has a Sv% less than .930 and we're already sending him down to the AHL? Ridiculous. Embarrassing actually. Lehner is an NHL goaltender. He's a very good one in fact.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
I think some of you have forgotten what average NHL goaltending even looks like. At least, that's the logic I'm going with.

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa has a young hungry team like ours, sometimes teams come back.

They definitely found it hard to keep the fire up after 4-0 first, but like others mentioned, Desjardins with some big saves coulda been a blow out.

Again with Lehner pokes, he was fantastic for the most part and can hardly be blamed on the goals, sure maybe a little, but look at the sloppy ass defensive zone coverage he was dealing with...he made lots of solid saves throughout the game.

No AHL for Lehner.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Wow. Kneejerk much?

He has one bad game, and you guys wanna bury him in the minors for another 2 years. Did you miss his previous games where he was kept the team in it while they barely managed to score 2 goals (on a good night)?

Exactly xD people are funny.

This happens to all teams across the league with even the most elite goaltenders.

To expect a shutout or a below 2gaa every single game is rediculous.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Bishop will be moved by the draft. Part of Lehner's learning curve has to take place in the NHL, he is not going to be a Vezina goalie immediately after his last AHL gmes

Exactly. Need to settle down a bit and put things in perspective.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Some of you guys.. Lehner had 2 really good periods. Had one really weak goal in the third and he should have another 2-3 years in the AHL.

Right.

Not his best game or even close to it. Probably his worst to date just like every goalie has a bad game.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I'm going to have to disagree. I think at this point Lehner will learn more backing up Anderson and getting to play NHL talent here and there than going back to the AHL. Just my opinion, we shall see next year what the team decides.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I guarentee Lehner will not play In the AHL next season. He's going to improve by facing NHL shooters in games and practice. There's not much left for him in Bingo. We'll give another goalie a chance in Bingo.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Worst post of the season right here.And while I agree that Lehner should have saved at least one of those goals, he's been very solid for us and will only be better when he starts the season in OTTAWA next season with Andy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad