GDT: Tampa Bay @ Ottawa - 2pm 03/23/13

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
shootingrubber,

This is only my perception of this, but you're calling out people for being biased in appraising Lehner when it appears you're suffering from the same, continually nitpicking at him. Don't take this the wrong way, I really like reading your posts but its not fair for you to call people out on this matter (except for the LOLZ KNEE JERK YOLO bit, that's ridiculous to be sure).

I agree with you in that people are biased in this matter but the notion that Lehner needs to work on his game in the minors in most definitely a stretch. He's already starter material at this juncture with room for improvement. He'll be better served in the NHL facing the Spezzas and Karlssons in practice every day and getting extra reps with Wamsley. It seems from an outsiders perspective that the the Sens feel the same way with him getting the bulk of starts right now and Bishop rumoured to be on the block.

Finally. A real response.

First, I'll just say that I never said that Lehner needs to go to the AHL to work on his game. All I said was that that's up to management to decide.

The only reason I'm calling people out, right or wrong, is to point out to others on this board that they're doing the same thing, but in favor of Lehner. Playing devils advocate so to speak.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I'll tell you their decision. When Anderson returns, Lehner will play in the AHL this season. Next season, Lehner will serve as backup to Anderson. At the moment, the #1 spot is up for grabs between Bishop and Lehner.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
The coach is giving all the starts of late to Lehner...shows you right there who he thinks is the better goalie.

And btw for all the guys saying he lets in softs goals....Every goalie in the league lets in goals they'd want back.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
I'll tell you their decision. When Anderson returns, Lehner will play in the AHL this season. Next season, Lehner will serve as backup to Anderson.

No, that's what you suspect their decision to be. As do I, might I add.

But to blatantly come out and say that's their decision is a little ridiculous. Unless they've explicitly said this, you have first hand knowledge that none of us have, you're friends with Brian Murray, or you are Brian Murray, then you don't know what their decision is.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Lehner's waiver exempt. Bishop isn't. It has nothing to do with who they think is better. They're not going to give Bishop away for nothing.

Mawlrat

Sep 27, 2011
I don't really think Lehner was at fault for the first two goals. The team really collapsed and just made really bad plays around him. The clearing attempts all night were horrendous and when the first two goals happened not one player covered the point and it made it is for Tampa to do its work. The third was a weak goal in my opinion from what I could see in the 300 level.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
No, that's what you suspect their decision to be. As do I, might I add.

But to blatantly come out and say that's their decision is a little ridiculous. Unless they've explicitly said this, you have first hand knowledge that none of us have, you're friends with Brian Murray, or you are Brian Murray, then you don't know what their decision is.

Oh come on, isn't ta bit overboard critiquing peoples' conduct already? I think most people are capable of distinguishing hyperbole from 'fact.' Just ease up man.

I'm interested to see where Lehner starts next season, but honestly I'd be quite surprised if it's the AHL.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If many suspect what the Sens will do with Lehner and Bishop, and that Lehner and Bishop are backup goalies who are both playing very well, though not as well as Anderson on an injury riddled team, is there really a need for a dedicated thread about Lehner? Talk about a non-story.

Methot stood up for himself, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Lats, and Wiercioch have been awesome recently and Kassian is not McGrattan thankfully. Game got hairy at the end, but oh wells.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
^Good summation. This game would have been a resounding success if not for that miserable third period. Simply put, we were up 4-0 and got complacent. It was a mistake, a learning experience, whatever, but in my mind there isn't a huge need to pick apart every last detail in an anomaly game that we still ended up winning.

In other words, this game doesn't give me 'concerns' about the future, or even this season.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Finally. A real response.

First, I'll just say that I never said that Lehner needs to go to the AHL to work on his game. All I said was that that's up to management to decide.

The only reason I'm calling people out, right or wrong, is to point out to others on this board that they're doing the same thing, but in favor of Lehner. Playing devils advocate so to speak.

Finally a reasonable post by you. Lehner has some things he needs to work on... todays game I saw only one goal that was his fault... the third one. Otherwise our D stopped covering and left a player in front on the first two goals. If our team stops playing, one cannot expect our goalie to be superhuman. Anderson would not have gotten those first to goals if we want to draw a direct comparison.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
^Good summation. This game would have been a resounding success if not for that miserable third period. Simply put, we were up 4-0 and got complacent. It was a mistake, a learning experience, whatever, but in my mind there isn't a huge need to pick apart every last detail in an anomaly game that we still ended up winning.

In other words, this game doesn't give me 'concerns' about the future, or even this season.

After hearing MacLean talk about it, I have no concerns. He will address it.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Guy Boucher fired.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661819&navid=nhl:topheads

Guess a lot of us were right about 4 early goals from Ottawa being the last straw
Can't say I watch a heck of a lot of Tampa, but I thought he was generally considered to be a very good coach. Guess not.

They have a pretty talented roster, except for goal. But its hard for a coach to look good if he can't get decent goaltending. Yzerman needs to keep searching for a tender, I don't think the answer is on the roster.Lack of depth at D probably hurts them as wel

EDIT: and looking at the stats, its kinda strange to see a team that is +6 in goal differential sit 14th in the conference. They're still only 5 point out of 8th - odd decision imo (unless SY really wants Ruff and this is his move to get him).

Last edited:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
there was talk about veteran players having tuned him out. Looking at tampa's players and reading in between the lines, that pretty much means marty st. louis didnt like him.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Yzerman gambled on Lindback and Garon, it didn't worked and now he's forced to fire his coach.

They also don't have much secondary scoring support. Offense is MSL and Stamkos. The injuries have also hurt then in that aspect.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
He should get rid of Vinny. Trade him to Montreal for something.

Too bad the Habs dropped Gauthier and Gainey, I could have seen either of them making a run at Lecavalier. Unfortunately, Bergevin seems a little sharper than those two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->