GDT: Tampa Bay @ Ottawa - 2pm 03/23/13

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
From this game, I think to me it seems clear we need another elite puck-possession type forward in our midst. A guy who can hold into the puck and frustrate the other team when we have a lead. Kind of like Alfredsson but he can't always be on the ice.

That's why I opt for Pomnville/Ryan two excellent puck-possession players with other qualities.

To be honest, that's why Karlsson is the best player in the league. The more he has the puck, the more we SCORE and less chances they get. Even if we don't score, that ability to hang on to the puck makes all the difference.

I didn't say it when I originally quoted the same post as you, but I agree I thought it was his best game yet in the NHL.

Lol, I should have quoted you too cause my post looks like repeat of yours.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Off topic, but the way Crosby is playing right now, EK is second best in the game.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I might note before we assume too much of Dreidger and Brassard as goalies that we once had Jeff Glass and Kelly Guard as 'can't miss' goalie prospects in the system, and we all know how long their NHL careers were.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Not really... it is better for him to play 30 games in the N than 60 in the A. He needs to face better shooters and deal with faster play making. The only place he will find that is in Ottawa or another NHL team.

Agreed. I figure for a goalie it takes about 100 games to really adjust and get comfortable in a league. Lehner has done that in the AHL and now he's ready to do it in the NHL. Maybe he ends up back in the A for a bit but its not to his benefit.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Off topic, but the way Crosby is playing right now, EK is second best in the game.

Crosby is the best player in the world, bar none.

It never was a question if you ask me.

Last edited:

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
I might note before we assume too much of Dreidger and Brassard as goalies that we once had Jeff Glass and Kelly Guard as 'can't miss' goalie prospects in the system, and we all know how long their NHL careers were.

I can't ever recall putting those two in that category, or seeing anyone else do that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

They were never considered can't miss goalie prospects. Glass was considered one of the weaker goalies to have won gold for Canada at the World juniors, and as I recall, Guard was an undrafted signing. Not really the pedigree of a can't miss prospect, particularly when you consider neither looked all that great once they made it to the AHL.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
I hate some of your reactions to some people's legitimate reactions to some of Lehner's weaknesses. These are all opinions, but a lot of you are like "LOL KNEEJERK REACTION MUCH OMG OMG". It's getting to be a bit much with some of your clear biased favoritism towards Lehner.

People are allowed to have different opinions and just because they're different than yours doesn't mean you can bash them and just totally dismiss them. This is a DISCUSSION board, no?

Fact is (really this is my opinion) that Lehner has let in at least 1 soft goal in every game he's played for us this year. But his save percentage is amazing OMG!!! BS. I don't care if his save percentage is amazing. He has lots of things to work on whether that's in the NHL next year or the AHL. And honestly, none of us know for sure where the best place for him is. I'm sure management knows exactly what they're going to do with the goalie situation regardless of how Lehner has played this year in the NHL.

The excuses or reasons for Lehner's weaknesses on this board are ridiculous IMO. OMG he's 21 OMG give him some time. Smith deflected the shot OMG, it wasn't Lehner's fault at all. The whole team fell apart, so Lehner gets a pass on this one. LOL. Give me a break.

Just because other things go wrong on a play or in a game doesn't mean that one individual always gets the blame taken off him. I didn't pull the trigger, so I'm not guilty of murder.

Give me a break. Lehner has his stuff to work on. I don't know whether that's in the AHL or the NHL next year, but either way, I'm sure Lehner will be made sure of the circumstances regarding both options from management.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Well every game you moan about Lehner. Explanations are given, both criticizing and excusing Lehner. Each time you focus on the excuses and make a big deal about it. There's not much to discuss.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
I agree. Lehner needs another year or two in the AHL to get all the kinks ironed out of his game. Sign Bishop for a 2 or 3 year contract to back-up Anderson, and then trade him once Lehner is ready.

lol

Are you guys from Mars? Another two years in the AHL? This is gold. lol

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Oh good grief. This is the first game this season where Lehner has a Sv% less than .930 and we're already sending him down to the AHL? Ridiculous. Embarrassing actually. Lehner is an NHL goaltender. He's a very good one in fact.

And the guy won. **** some of these guys make me laugh.

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
Well every game you moan about Lehner. Explanations are given, both criticizing and excusing Lehner. Each time you focus on the excuses and make a big deal about it. There's not much to discuss.

Every game you guys give him 98734 excuses as to why he's not at fault. I don't see how there's a difference here. :shakehead

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
shootingrubber,

This is only my perception of this, but you're calling out people for being biased in appraising Lehner when it appears you're suffering from the same, continually nitpicking at him. Don't take this the wrong way, I really like reading your posts but its not fair for you to call people out on this matter (except for the LOLZ KNEE JERK YOLO bit, that's ridiculous to be sure).

I agree with you in that people are biased in this matter but the notion that Lehner needs to work on his game in the minors in most definitely a stretch. He's already starter material at this juncture with room for improvement. He'll be better served in the NHL facing the Spezzas and Karlssons in practice every day and getting extra reps with Wamsley. It seems from an outsiders perspective that the the Sens feel the same way with him getting the bulk of starts right now and Bishop rumoured to be on the block.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad