GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning at Ottawa Senators - 7PM - SN1 - Last night a DJ saved my life

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Because we have a team of cherry-pickers up front.

Defense is a team concept. We don't believe in that, though.

Tkachuk, Batherson, Stützle... that's not of their concern. Dipsy doodle giveaway at the blueline? Oh well, coast to the bench and try it again next time.

We play the way Jason Spezza wishes he could've played when he first broke into the league.
That has nothing to do with the "dump and chase".

Read the post I was replying to.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
That’s just a part of it, there no excuse for non STH to go buy those tickets for 4 games, they are still available today, why haven’t they been bought up by Sens fans.
Idk dude. And I doubt anyone here has an answer to that beyond "bad fans" or some other such nonsense.

How about this: if you don't want those tickets to go to another teams fans, then buy them up. Give them to friends. Donate them to a charity. Leave them empty for all I care.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why couldn't the "core" guys score? Or defend?

1 point in 5 games from the captain in the most important stretch of the season isn't very good, right?

No accountability for Brady though.
You pulled a 5 game sample, one of which was a shutout where the goalie clearly was the problem leading the to game getting out of hand early.

The other 4 games we averaged 2.75 goals a game which is a touch low but enough to win some games.unless your mcdavid, you're going to have ups and downs.

The part you are ignoring is the psychological effect it has on teams when they can't trust their goalie.
But keep banging on the table.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
You pulled a 5 game sample, one of which was a shutout where the goalie clearly was the problem leading the to game getting out of hand early. unless your mcdavid, you're going to have ups and downs.

The other 4 games we averaged 2.75 goals a game which is a touch low but enough to win some games.

The part you are ignoring is the psychological effect it has on teams when they can't trust their goalie.
But keep banging on the table.

I pulled that 5 game sample because that was the exact point in the season where everyone thought the team had a chance to play "meaningful games."

They were back in the race and would play some struggling teams.

Chicago had lost 3 in a row heading into that game. Calgary had lost 5 of 7. What did we do? We got absolutely crushed by both of them.

Now, you can solely blame the goalie and ignore the fact that all of our good players, other than Stützle, completely disappeared. But I'm not going to gloss over their no-shows.

Maybe Tkachuk and Batherson could've scored a 1st-period goal to reduce some of the stress on their rookie goalie? Get out front and then hunker down on defense? Nah. Why not play pond hockey and hope everything holds up.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
A little shitty to sell to a Habs or leafs fan. Our building should not be a friendly place especially to those two fanbases

Go to one of those games it’s not just from STHs. It’s like 80 % Habs/leafs fans. Ottawa fans shy away from those games
Who's saying they know who's fans the tickets are being sold to?

or how about this: it's none of our f***ing business what happens in a private transaction between two individuals.

Like, do people think there's a special place where Sens fans sell tickets exclusively to Mtl or leafs fans?

Buy em up first. Put your money where your mouth is.

It is inane to bitch and moan about Habs or leafs fans in our barn, when none of you are going out of your way to do anything about it.

Frankly, if I was in their shoes, I'd probably do the God damned same, because selling a couple of those tickets is a major recoup in the rest of my season ticket package. And I wouldn't give a single f*** what anyone here has to say about it.

So how about y'all back off from the ledge that is turning on Sens fans who buy season ticket packages, and do something about it... Or just drop it already.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Who's saying they know who's fans the tickets are being sold to?

or how about this: it's none of our f***ing business what happens in a private transaction between two individuals.

Like, do people think there's a special place where Sens fans sell tickets exclusively to Mtl or leafs fans?

Buy em up first. Put your money where your mouth is.

It is inane to bitch and moan about Habs or leafs fans in our barn, when none of you are going out of your way to do anything about it.

Frankly, if I was in their shoes, I'd probably do the God damned same, because selling a couple of those tickets is a major recoup in the rest of my season ticket package. And I wouldn't give a single f*** what anyone here has to say about it.

So how about y'all back off from the ledge that is turning on Sens fans who buy season ticket packages, and do something about it... Or just drop it already.
I have season tickets.

It sounds like you do care what people have to say about it.

And yeah. If you sell your tickets to leafs and Habs games that scum shit sorry. But that’s Ottawa for you. And Ottawa people.

Sell your other games. Show up to the one where we are outnumbered like 4-1.

Yeah technically it’s not my business nor can I force them to do otherwise. But I can call it bs. Maybe they’re scared to be surrounded by opposing fans. Which again. Typical Ottawa

I personally buy tickets to view the games. Not to sell them for some extra cash (how much extra cash??? Probably not much). But again. That’s Ottawa

But I said it’s NOT just STHs. Ottawa people generally don’t want to attend those games. It’s not only STHs selling their tickets

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Idk dude. And I doubt anyone here has an answer to that beyond "bad fans" or some other such nonsense.

How about this: if you don't want those tickets to go to another teams fans, then buy them up. Give them to friends. Donate them to a charity. Leave them empty for all I care.
Sure but for some reason you don’t think non STH be snapping them up as well, that’s my whole point, Sens need to buy as many as possible, there are still tickets available.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I pulled that 5 game sample because that was the exact point in the season where everyone thought the team had a chance to play "meaningful games."

They were back in the race and would play some struggling teams.

Chicago had lost 5 of 6 heading into that game. Calgary had lost 5 of 7. What did we do? We got absolutely crushed.

Now, you can solely blame the goalie and ignore the fact that all of our good players, other than Stützle, completely disappeared. But I'm not going to gloss over their no-shows.

Maybe Tkachuk and Batherson could've scored a 1st-period goal to reduce some of the stress on their rookie goalie? Get out front and then hunker down on defense? Nah.

Because we allowed 5 goals a game 5 in a row, and because I watched the games and saw how deflating the goals were.

I can blame goalies and the biggest reason why we lost those games because I have eyes and common sense, and am not just looking to complain about the coach I want fired.

You can't just go out and say hey. we got a rookie in the net, so tonight, we're going to score the first one and make sure we reduce the stress on the kid, it doesn't work that way, there are two teams that both want to win.

I'm not even saying that there weren't other issues, if we didn't have other issues, we wouldn't have been fighting for a sport, we'd have been comfortably in one. I'm saying goaltending was the biggest among them at that moment. the other issues are the same that existed all year, nothing changed with our system or the effort by the guys defensively. they did the same thing as usual until deflating goal after deflating goal happened.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I have season tickets.

It sounds like you do care what people have to say about it.

And yeah. If you sell your tickets to leafs and Habs games that scum shit sorry. But that’s Ottawa for you. And Ottawa people.

Sell your other games. Show up to the one where we are outnumbered like 4-1.

Yeah technically it’s not my business nor can I force them to do otherwise. But I can call it bs. Maybe they’re scared to be surrounded by opposing fans. Which again. Typical Ottawa
I care that fans of your ilk are so blinded by this that they can't understand why someone would have want to recoup some money on their package and that the (comparative) premium Habs and leafs fans are willing to spend outweighs the game itself.

Get your head out of your ass.

I’ve been to over 600 games as a STH thanks.
Dude, I am obviously, clearly, asking why you aren't buying up the empty seats for these games if you're so hot and bothered by it.

The number of games you've attended as a STH holds absolutely zero clout with me.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I can blame goalies and the biggest reason why we lost those games because I have eyes and common sense, and am not just looking to complain about the coach I want fired.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the coach. I'm complaining about the whole team, coach and players included, who didn't show up when the games really mattered.

You're blaming one guy.

Tkachuk and Batherson combined 1 goal in 5 games – because of the goalie? Right.

And for the record, I do think this team needs a new coach. But I don't for a second think that'll solve all the problems. They're very far away from being a good, consistent team. And most of it is on the players. Claude Julien could be behind the bench on Wednesday but I don't think that'll stop Batherson from toe-dragging at his own blueline or Tkachuk from blowing the zone the second Hamonic touches the puck, and instead of giving him an easy outlet, watching him shoot it at another guy's shinpads from center ice.

Who/what is your scapegoat this year? Forsberg? Pinto's gambling?

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I care that fans of your ilk are so blinded by this that they can't understand why someone would have want to recoup some money on their package and that the (comparative) premium Habs and leafs fans are willing to spend outweighs the game itself.

Dude, I am obviously, clearly, asking why you aren't buying up the empty seats for these games if you're so hot and bothered by it.

The number of games you've attended as a STH holds absolutely zero clout with me.
I answered your question, but you didn’t like it, too bad, instead you’d rather shill, why would I buy extra tickets.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Dude just go to games the leafs and Habs fans won’t hurt you

I answered your question, but you didn’t like it, too bad, instead you’d rather shill, why would I buy extra tickets.
You’re not a bad fan for selling to rival fans you’re a bad fan for not buying every other ticket in the stadium and giving it to people sens fans.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
No, you sidestepped the pointed question I made.

So, my only conclusion is you're upset about all these unsold tickets, but can't be arsed to do anything about it other than complain about why people aren't spending their money the way you think they should be. That was my point. That you're a hypocrite. I ain't shilling for shit

Dude just go to games the leafs and Habs fans won’t hurt you

You’re not a bad fan for selling to rival fans you’re a bad fan for not buying every other ticket in the stadium and giving it to people sens fans.
My word, am I the one complaining about Habs and leafs fans attending games? Absolutely not. I don't give a shit who's in the barn cheering for what team.

Youve lost the plot mate.

No, you're a bad fan for complaining about why people are not deciding to spend money the way you think they should be.

Whole lotta small man complex going on in here.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

So, my only conclusion is you're upset about all these unsold tickets, but can't be arsed to do anything about it other than complain about why people aren't spending their money the way you think they should be. That was my point. That you're a hypocrite. I ain't shilling for shit

My word, am I the one complaining about Habs and leafs fans attending games? Absolutely not. I don't give a shit who's in the barn cheering for what team.

No, you're a bad fan for complaining about why people are not deciding to spend money the way you think they should be.

Yeah I think the stadium should be mostly sens fans. That’s what I think.

I mean in sport the hometown usually has majority of the fans

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm not complaining about the coach. I'm complaining about the whole team, coach and players included, who didn't show up when the games really mattered.
Sure they did, they absolutely destroyed Detroit when it looked like they'd be our biggest threat to a playoff spot. sent them into a rebuild we pounded them so bad.

But reality is you don't win allowing 5 goals a night with a goal going in on every 6th or 7th shot.

You're blaming one guy.

Tkachuk and Batherson combined 1 goal in 5 games – because of the goalie? Right.

And for the record, I do think this team needs a new coach. But I don't for a second think that'll solve all the problems. They're very far away from being a good, consistent team. And most of it is on the players.
No, what I'm doing is acknowledging reality. The team wasn't good enough to do it with a rookie that clearly wasn't ready. Didn't matter if Brady or Bath scored an extra goal or two, a goal against every 6 shots will sink you. That's not Sogaards fault, he was our 3rd string goalie. Maybe they could have bared down defensively a bit more, and gotten a bit closer, but it wouldn't have mattered, we were without an NHL level goalie for the rest of the season more or less. We weren't going to overcome that.

Who/what is your scapegoat this year? Forsberg? Pinto's gambling?
I'm not scapegoating anyone, the team has lots of injuries, half their D is currently out, and they haven't been able to adapt to compensate. There's a lot at play, no one player is at fault, nor is it entirely on the coach, though he probably should have been replaced before last year imo.

I think we're under performing, but I think things like the injuries, the Pinto situation, coaching, all the off ice drama, and some specific players not finding their groove all played into it. We started playing great, things went downhill as the injuries pilled up but this skid is more than just the injuries.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Nope 100% Shilling and you know it. Shiting on me because I won’t buy your tickets for you, but bought tons of my own.
Be a good fan and go buy tickets like the rest of us,
How about instead of me buying you a ticket, I buy you a small violin.

Reactions: coladin

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Didn't matter if Brady or Bath scored an extra goal or two, a goal against every 6 shots will sink you.

If we had gotten off to a 2-1 start against Chicago instead of being down 1-0 after the first, could we have won? Maybe we could have hunkered down, maybe not.

Maybe instead of 5-0, they lose 5-3. But it would have given them a better chance. And bad goaltending doesn't excuse their no-show.

As I've said, both can be true. Sogaard wasn't ready, and some of our most important players wilted. I'm not giving those guys a pass because Sogaard sucked. They also sucked.

The start of this year, yet again, doesn't give me much confidence that this team is ready to rise up and consistently win games. The games against Detroit and Buffalo... that was embarrassing. They looked like kids who thought they'd show up, and that'd be enough.

Tkachuk's reaction after the game the other day, IMO, speaks to their immaturity and lack of self-awareness.

Last edited:

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
It is weird situation. Because DJ should be doing better with this roster, this is one of the most skilled and expensive Senators teams ever.

But what do you do when you top 6 is filled with Mike Hoffmans. Not only that but prime Hoffman actually back checked harder, played more responsible, and played better defensively than some of our guys.

I doubt it's DJ going yea guys go be lazy out there and don't back check and cheat for offense and leave your goalies and defenceman out to dry.

Guys like Hoffman, Heatley, and Spezza would get so much shit for being lazy or cheating for offense, or being irresponsible. They have nothing on our core young guys in this regard.
If you're right and it's the players who won't play a defensive structure, those players are in for a rude awakening once there's a new coach. The mantra of the new ownership is accountability and best in class so I don't expect the next coach to be a players coach. I'm hoping that most of these young players simply need to be taught the type of play that wins games. If not, then some of them may need to go. We're in for some interesting times.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we had gotten off to a 2-1 start against Chicago instead of being down 1-0 after the first, could we have won? Maybe we could have hunkered down, maybe not.

Maybe instead of 5-0, they lose 5-3. But it would have given them a better chance. And bad goaltending doesn't excuse their no-show.

As I've said, both can be true. Sogaard wasn't ready, and some of our most important players wilted. I'm not giving those guys a pass because Sogaard sucked.

The start of this year, yet again, doesn't give me much confidence that this team is ready to rise up and consistently win games. They look like kids who thought they'd show up, and that'd be enough.
You can't just score at will though, that's the problem with this line of thinking. Just score a goal and then all the problems go away, except that's not how things work. Just because we couldn't get a lead early doesn't mean the guys weren't playing well, we outshot them 12-3 in the first and were down 1 nothing. But sure, Brady should have just willed us to a 2 goal lead to insulate Sogaard...

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
lol, they were the worst at back checking. With Hoff and Heater being the worst at it.
Imagine wanting guys that back check like those 3, oof.
That's why I hated the Hossa for Heatley trade from the get go. Hossa was a power forward who played a 200 ft game and didn't need to be with Alfie and Spezza to produce. I never forgave Muckler for that move. I think he was an even worse GM than Dorion, and that's saying something. At least Dorion made some good draft choices, signed some good contracts and got Chychrun.

Reactions: Alex1234

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad