GDT: Tampa Bay Lightning at Ottawa Senators - 7PM - SN1 - Last night a DJ saved my life

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Weak fans. Go and support your team and quit contributing the arena getting overthrown. Weak ass fans
You're so out of touch dude, it's laughable.

I've been on here long enough to know you're materially wealthy, or so you've said. Maybe you should buy up all these tickets instead of complaining about it. It's not like they are sold exclusively to leafs or Habs fans.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You're so out of touch dude, it's laughable.

I've been on here long enough to know you're materially wealthy, or so you've said. Maybe you should buy up all these tickets instead of complaining about it. It's not like they are sold exclusively to leafs or Habs fans.
Poster is not wrong though, I’d prefer the Sens fans snap up those tickets as soon as available, it’s 4 games a year to boot those fans out.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Poster is not wrong though, I’d prefer the Sens fans snap up those tickets as soon as available, it’s 4 games a year to boot those fans out.
how do you stop it?Diehard Sens fans rush in to sell out the game ahead of time!

How do you prevent diehard Leafs/Habs fans from jumping in just as quick?

It cannot be stopped.

if you are a Leafs/Habs fans, you are waiting for day 1, when these tickets become available..

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Of course, there is nuance. You seem to be the one ignoring it, though, by boiling everything down to "well, we had injuries."

Obviously, the injuries were a significant factor. But anyone who watched that team or watches the team this year should be able to recognize that there is a whole host of other problems that should be corrected but haven't been.

Nobody expects this team to be competing for the Stanley Cup at this point. But they straight up don't show up to games, get crushed in their own end, and now, the captain is lashing out at fans because they can't get their shit together. And then some people shrug their shoulders and say, "well... Chabot is out".

There are teams with significantly less talented rosters who play a much better, more responsible game than we do. They take care of their own end first. They help their goalie.

But sure, let's have Batherson, Stutzle, and Tkachuk go out there and dipsy doodle all night. We'll go down 4-1, they'll pot a couple late, and we'll say, "gosh, we were close, it'll turn around."

This is an immature team, and their immaturity has reared it's ugly head 10 games into the season, again.

Anybody who watched the team could see Sogaard wasn't ready for the show, maybe the odd game here and there, but certainly not as the guy in nets for a playoff drive. Anybody who's followed hockey for even a modest amount of time knows what happens when teams can't trust their goalie. Even vet teams struggle when their goalie plays the way Sogaard did.

Yes, there are other issues on the team, nobody disputes that. Those other issues are why we were fighting for a wild card spot and not more comfortably in the mix. Acting like the team folded because the fans mentioned playoffs though, which is what spurred the conversation, is just nonsense. A young team still learning the ropes was already facing heaps of adversity was hit with another shot, and didn't have the horses to overcome it. That's the truth, it doesn't mean that the team was super awesome and only missed because of goaltending, but it recognizes why at that moment, we ran out of gas, and not say a week earlier. It had nothing to do with the fans mentioning playoffs, and everything to do with thrusting a rookie into a position he was nowhere near being ready for on a team that wasn't capable of covering up for him.

I get you're upset with how the team is currently playing, and how the season is going, but if the team is going to fix things it needs to be honest about where the issues are, that means recognizing when things are personnel available related, and when they are performance related.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
how do you stop it?Diehard Sens fans rush in to sell out the game ahead of time!

How do you prevent diehard Leafs/Habs fans from jumping in just as quick?

It cannot be stopped.

if you are a Leafs/Habs fans, you are waiting for day 1, when these tickets become available..
They aren’t sold out day 1 though and if you don’t try, then you have no chance. Lots still available for December 7 game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We're good offensively the same way we were last November. We have no problem scoring a shit-ton of goals once we're down 5-1, just in time to lose 5-4 or 6-5.

And 5 on 5, we really don't score that much.
Even looking only at the last 5 games, we're top 10 in 5v5 GF/60, not sure how long that will last mind you, as the chances don't seem to line up with the goal totals

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We got soundly outshot and outchanced in this one. Also outworked.

It wasn't like those games against Detroit or Buffalo or the Islanders.

That's what bugs me. I get that we aren't as strong as we should be with all of our missing players.

I don't expect to win against tough competition with all the parity.

But I expect the guys who are there to battle their hearts out. Some of them are, but some of the more talented ones aren't.

Shots against:
Game #1: 42 (vs. Carolina)
Game #2: 21 (vs. Philly)
Game #3: 24 (vs. Tampa Bay)
Game #4: 24 (vs. Washington)
Game #5: 23 (vs. Detroit)
Game #6: 24 (vs. Buffalo)
-------
Game #7: 38 (vs. NYI)
Game #8: 42 (vs. PIT)
Game #9: 38 (vs. LA)
Game #10: 37 (vs. TB)
I don't think the issue is some players aren't giving it their all. I think they are. I think the problem is some players are trying to do too much by themselves, rather than playing as a team. Injuries have had a hand in how awful this team has looked over the last three games as well. The most concerning part of the last 6 games is how they haven't been able to stop the bleeding. It's been an issue in the past too, they can play some good hockey but when a few games don't go their way they spiral. Some bad habits crept into their game against Buffalo and it's just been getting progressively worse.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
And if they were 6-4. and in the thick of it, they still have to go 38-25-7. Big difference?

No. They'd have to go 38-27-7. That IS a significant difference and would be the pace at which they've played this year. As it is they need to be MUCH better than they've been despite a favorable schedule to start the season.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Man, I just read through this thread.

What is up with people framing Booing like it's some Ottawa phenomenon? Every franchise in basically every pro league is just as likely to face the same. We've all seen this show a 1000 times.

It's like a pissing contest in here of people trying to act superior to booing like its childish, while the other side talks about how much DJ sucks.

The fans did what they did, very normal considering how bad the team looks. Brady said what he said, not unheard of and the team has an argument this year with all the injuries. But even DJ today is talking about how he knows he's on the hot seat. This is entirely 100% normal for all parties for a team that is struggling so much, and has a history of struggling, has long standing personnel, even if expectations are low.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
They are wrong.

This is specifically about STH selling a few games a year to help with the overall cost of a STH package, and that those seats can get bought by fans from other teams.

No one on this board has any right to say what someone should or shouldn't be doing with the tickets they paid for. Full stop.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Anybody who watched the team could see Sogaard wasn't ready for the show, maybe the odd game here and there, but certainly not as the guy in nets for a playoff drive. Anybody who's followed hockey for even a modest amount of time knows what happens when teams can't trust their goalie. Even vet teams struggle when their goalie plays the way Sogaard did.

Yes, there are other issues on the team, nobody disputes that. Those other issues are why we were fighting for a wild card spot and not more comfortably in the mix. Acting like the team folded because the fans mentioned playoffs though, which is what spurred the conversation, is just nonsense. A young team still learning the ropes was already facing heaps of adversity was hit with another shot, and didn't have the horses to overcome it. That's the truth, it doesn't mean that the team was super awesome and only missed because of goaltending, but it recognizes why at that moment, we ran out of gas, and not say a week earlier. It had nothing to do with the fans mentioning playoffs, and everything to do with thrusting a rookie into a position he was nowhere near being ready for on a team that wasn't capable of covering up for him.

I get you're upset with how the team is currently playing, and how the season is going, but if the team is going to fix things it needs to be honest about where the issues are, that means recognizing when things are personnel available related, and when they are performance related.

I don't think anyone is saying the team "folded" simply because the fans said the word playoffs.

People are saying that the team has a pattern of playing well when there's zero pressure and playing poorly when there is pressure.

This has been the case for a couple of seasons now and is repeating itself this year. When the eyeballs are on them, they, more often than not, can't get it done.

It's really the telltale sign of a bad team. Right now, the opponents playing us are focused and motivated. That's what happens at the start of the season. And they're beating us.

I'm sure that in December and January, the dog days of the season, teams will come in here tired and thinking that the Sens are an easy win. We'll beat some of them, then.

But will it matter? We have a solid line of sight to a 6-10 start.

Also, our team SV% is, once again, shit. Perhaps we play in a way that leaves our goalies out to dry. What's the solution, beyond trading for Shesterkin?

The Leafs had to play Eric Kallgren for stretches of the last two years, but I don't recall them completely falling apart.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Literally what I responded to which got you responding to me.

So you're arguing semantics. I don't think anybody in their right mind thinks that the players were on the bus from the hotel to a game, turned on the Locked on Senators podcast, heard the word "playoffs", and proceeded to collapse.

But towards the end of the season, the pressure started ramping up. The teams we were playing with raised their level of play, trying to either make the playoffs or finish strong. And we got completely left behind. Couldn't keep up. Goaltending was one reason why. It was far from the only reason why.

The level of play at the start and end of a season is always higher than in the middle. And this team can't handle it. They're proving it again.

Last year, though, the owner and GM took most of the blame. The players were spared.

That's not the case now. Those guys are gone. And the captain is already lashing out at fans because they're not cheering for moral victories.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They are wrong.

This is specifically about STH selling a few games a year to help with the overall cost of a STH package, and that those seats can get bought by fans from other teams.

No one on this board has any right to say what someone should or shouldn't be doing with the tickets they paid for. Full stop.
That’s just a part of it, there no excuse for non STH to go buy those tickets for 4 games, they are still available today, why haven’t they been bought up by Sens fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
That’s just a part of it, there no excuse for non STH to go buy those tickets for 4 games, they are still available today, why haven’t they been bought up by Sens fans.

Because Leafs fans are willing to pay a premium to see their winning team play, while Sens fans are not willing to play a premium to see their losing team play?

It'll always be an issue because of the sheer difference in the size of the fanbases, but there'd be way more non STH looking to buy tickets if the team didn't suck.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Because Leafs fans are willing to pay a premium to see their winning team play, while Sens fans are not willing to play a premium to see their losing team play?

It'll always be an issue because of the sheer difference in the size of the fanbases, but there'd be way more non STH looking to buy tickets if the team didn't suck.
Then Sens fans can’t complain when the build is invaded. To leaf fans, Sens premium ticket prices are a discount.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So you're arguing semantics. I don't think anybody in their right mind thinks that the players were on the bus from the hotel to a game, turned on the Locked on Senators podcast, heard the word "playoffs", and proceeded to collapse.

But towards the end of the season, the pressure started ramping up. The teams we were playing with raised their level of play, trying to either make the playoffs or finish strong. And we got completely left behind. Goaltending was one reason why. It was far from the only reason why.

Yet it was by far the biggest one at that point in time. We were playing a 21 year old rookie as our starter and it showed. Bad goals were deflating the team, they had no confidence in him despite seemingly every interview trying to boost the kid up.

The idea that the pressure starting to ramp up was the issue is fan fiction.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't think most Sens fans do complain. Just a couple of people trying to shame others for not buying tickets.
That’s a shame if true. Embarrassing if we’re not complaining or buying the tickets, so the building isn’t half full of the opposition fans.
Sounds like your fine with it though.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Yet it was by far the biggest one at that point in time. We were playing a 21 year old rookie as our starter and it showed. Bad goals were deflating the team, they had no confidence in him despite seemingly every interview trying to boost the kid up.

The idea that the pressure starting to ramp up was the issue is fan fiction.

On the West Coast trip, including the Chicago game, which essentially ruined any playoff hopes:

Brady Tkachuk: 1 goal, 0 assists in 5 games
Drake Batherson: 0 goals, 2 assists in 5 games
Alex Debrincat: 1 goal, 0 assists in 5 games
Jacob Chychrun: 1 goal, 1 assist in 5 games
Thomas Chabot: 0 goals, 1 assist in 4 games.
Claude Giroux: 2 goals, 1 assist in 5 games

The only guy who showed up was Stützle.

Yes, the goaltending sucked too. But so did the team "leaders". Pressure was ramped up, they disappeared.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On the West Coast trip, including the Chicago game, which essentially ruined any playoff hopes:

Brady Tkachuk: 1 goal, 0 assists in 5 games
Drake Batherson: 0 goals, 2 assists in 5 games
Alex Debrincat: 1 goal, 0 assists in 5 games
Jacob Chychrun: 1 goal, 1 assist in 5 games
Claude Giroux: 2 goals, 1 assist in 5 games

The only guy who showed up was Stützle.

But yes, just goaltending.

25 goals against, 5 a game. it was goaltending.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
25 goals against, 5 a game. it was goaltending.

Why couldn't the "core" guys score? Or defend?

1 point in 5 games from the captain in the most important stretch of the season isn't very good, right? No accountability for Brady though.

Goaltending sucked. The core disappeared. Both are true.

So far this year, the goalies have had their share of stinkers, too. Is it on them? Is it Forsberg's fault that Batherson has said "hold my beer" to Mike Hoffman's defensive game?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Our goalies and defencemen play "bad" because our forwards leave them out to dry.

not to mention when injuries hit instead of tightening play they double down on their bad support and cheating for offence.

you guys remember when a previous Senators team had to play Hammond or Condon?

They fought harder for their D and G.

Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They are wrong.

A little shitty to sell to a Habs or leafs fan. Our building should not be a friendly place especially to those two fanbases

Go to one of those games it’s not just from STHs. It’s like 80 % Habs/leafs fans. Ottawa fans shy away from those games

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad