Post-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning at New York Rangers Game 5 (Lightning Lead 3-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

If you dont have a top 5 goalie, you need to have other worldly offensive talent. Do the Rangers have anywhere near that? Have they ever been able to find offense in the playoffs? Are they even capable of flipping Lundqvist, a known commodity, in an attempt to find this elusive offense?

The answer to all of these questions is no.

The problem isn't Henrik. It is the mentality of the leaders of this team, that need to have the feeling of panic that comes with having their backs against the wall.

Henrik is our most consistent star.

The elusive offense can be blamed on Nash, Marty, hagelin, hayes, miller and this series... Brassard.

Where did these guys go?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The problem isn't Henrik. It is the mentality of the leaders of this team, that need to have the feeling of panic that comes with having their backs against the wall.

Henrik is our most consistent star.

The elusive offense can be blamed on Nash, Marty, hagelin, hayes, miller and this series... Brassard.

Where did these guys go?

Seems to me that this team has provided its best effort when their backs are against the wall. Perhaps a killer instinct earlier in a series would help. Either way, its tough to win a cup, and the window for this team is slowly closing and has been since 2012.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Last night was a real backbreaker. Throughout the first 4 games, you kind of got the impression that if the Rangers could control the defensive aspect of the series, they might be able to grind out a series win.

Last night, however, Tampa was the better team defensively. I dont know where the Rangers go from here.

Yeah, tough loss!
I think they can't get discouraged. I think that they played well enough up to when Tampa took the lead. They should have been up by 1-2 goals, but again, we have no snipers on this team. They have to play sound defensively and limit Tampa's grade "a" chances.

BarbaraAlphanse

Seems to me that this team has provided its best effort when their backs are against the wall. Perhaps a killer instinct earlier in a series would help. Either way, its tough to win a cup, and the window for this team is slowly closing and has been since 2012.

Sobering, but true.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Hmm. Our window is closing since 2012? So I guess if we make it to the SCF again it will be another fluke for a team that is breathing its last breaths? People said the same thing last year. Tampa is just a bad matchup for us. Nothing else. I believe we would wax Anaheim or Chicago in the final. Tampa just has our number. Every team has one or two teams that they just don't matchup well against. However, feel free to continue to believe that our window is closing.

With that being said I don't disagree about the killer instinct part.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Thanks for your input :laugh:
Trust me felt the same way after last nights game and still somewhat feeling that way today. Gotta have hope our goalie and defense will show. Just hoping someone up front can chip in with some goals

Yeah, I mean I guess I've said plenty through these play-offs... about the players I am down on or outright hate at this point... about the way half of them just stand around watching the game unfold (best seats in the house I suppose)

They're an embarrassment. Completely neutered. Lazy. Stupid.

I'm disgusted and can't even defend the ones I don't hate.

I guess I have nothing else to say.

:help:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Hmm. Our window is closing since 2012? So I guess if we make it to the SCF again it will be another fluke for a team that is breathing its last breaths? People said the same thing last year. Tampa is just a bad matchup for us. Nothing else. I believe we would wax Anaheim or Chicago in the final. Tampa just has our number. Every team has one or two teams that they just don't matchup well against. However, feel free to continue to believe that our window is closing.

That's what sucks. Last year, had we played the Hawks in the finals instead of the Kings, I think we would have won the cup.

Matchups play a big part in the playoffs.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
That's what sucks. Last year, had we played the Hawks in the finals instead of the Kings, I think we would have won the cup.

Matchups play a big part in the playoffs.

Of course they do but the Rangers benefited big time in matchups too. The Bruins were the one team no one wanted to face last year and they got lucky and avoided them.

Sometimes you get good matchups and sometimes you get bad ones. That's hockey.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Less and less time to NOT run into one of those pesky ol' "bad matchups" or "has our number" type of things.

Definition of a window closing. Lundqvist will be 34 years old for the next playoff run. Tick Tock.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Just so bitter about how we played in Game 5...This team need to be ready and I know they can but I want them to show they want this more then them.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yes, Tampa had 4-0 in regular season - I'm quite surprised that
we're still alive in this serie. :)

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
I have to tip my hat to the Bolts on a defensive gem last game. And no matter how it plays out, I'm proud of this NYR team. If you'd have told me 10 years back I'd see the NYR in a SCF and three conf finals in a 4 year span I would have laughed in your face.

We are up against a formidable, hungry opponent here, an outstanding team who also hit the 50 win plateau this season. Hats off to whoever advances and imho no shame to the team that doesn't. These are two excellent hockey teams and unfortunately someone has to lose. Here's hoping it's TB, but I'll be proud of the NYR and thankful for a really fun season to be a part of no matter how things play out. This truly has been a superb season to watch.

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010

Game 6:
Let's take this train for one last stop, I know it's not the end, but it can't be that far

There are possibly 9 games left this season at most, 1 game at the least, don't give in just yet. Lets go Rangers!

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You don't need an all-world goaltender to win cups.

That wasn't what we were talking about.

You don't need an all world goalie to win cups. But an all world goalie can help an otherwise undeserving team win cups. Your original point implied that an all world goalie cannot makeup for a lesser team and so an all world goalie can never win a cup with a lesser team under any circumstances ever.

It's reasonable to expect that a goalie won't be able to carry a lesser team to a cup but it is not correct to say what you said

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
That wasn't what we were talking about.

You don't need an all world goalie to win cups. But an all world goalie can help an otherwise undeserving team win cups. Your original point implied that an all world goalie cannot makeup for a lesser team and so an all world goalie can never win a cup with a lesser team under any circumstances ever.

It's reasonable to expect that a goalie won't be able to carry a lesser team to a cup but it is not correct to say what you said

Maybe Talbot would, but we would never know for sure. :)

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
When you're the Rangers, you don't get franchise type forwards in the draft. We all know why, no need to go into.that. But since we don't get those type of players, we need our strength to be in goal and on D. Those type of guys are a bit easier to get. So, we need a franchise type goalie to help us win. That's what has gotten us the limited success that we have during Hank's time here. Capitalize on it now, it could be a very long time til we get this deep in the playoffs again.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Yes the window is closing on the Rangers. It is not currently closed but the team was built to contend for the cup for the next few years and see how far they can get.

Lundy is the team leader. The team was/has been built around him. The D was the built to protect Lundy. The offense was always considered the weakest part of the team. In the regular season teams were playing you once and then moving on. Thus, teams couldn't spend much time practicing / strategizing how to shut down their opposition as they can in the playoffs.

Is Tampa peaking? Are they playing their best hockey at the right time? In any case, they seem to be overall better than the Rangers currently. Their PP is overall better. They possess more offensive weapons then the rangers. They played a Ranger type game in game 5 and beat them 2-0. Maybe the team that scores first controls the game?

In any event, the Rangers should have come out in game 3 smoking after a weak game two. They didn't. After tying the series at 2-2 they should have come out motivated at home. They didn't. Maybe a back's against the wall victory in game 6? I hope. With Tampa winning 3 of the last 4 they might just be better.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
OMG you're right how could I have not seen this! My god it's all so clear now! Let's forget about how there can be DEGREES of being uncoordinated and that my post is clearly referencing the DEGREE to which he is so uncoordinated, no! Let's forget all that and just live in your world where you are either an elite NHL player at 30 or a completely uncoordinated blind old man who can't stay on skates or catch a pass anymore at 40. I didn't think i had to spell it out that i was talking about how his deterioration in certain areas seems excessive even when you include age but apparently it really needs to be spelled out for you.

Geez.

Since you wish to continue to dig your own hole, what is the formula for acceptable deterioration?

If a player plays 20 bad games in a row, why complain when he plays poorly in his next game?

Why get mad at MSL?

You want to be cranky?

Get angry at AV for dressing MSL.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Let's just get behind the boys, who have proven an ability to come from behind in far more unpleasant circumstances than this, and push for a big game 6 win, because...

Kjjvmew.jpg

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Cooper scratched Drouin saying he wasn't playing a 2 way game well. That's how you coach. AV could learn something. You know MSL will be playing tomorrow. AV hoping that after 20 black roulette spins it finally spins red.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Let's just get behind the boys, who have proven an ability to come from behind in far more unpleasant circumstances than this, and push for a big game 6 win, because...

Kjjvmew.jpg

He has to win game 6 first and I highly doubt he'll get a chance to do that.. If our defense continues to leave him out to dry he won't have a choice but to go home.

Marc Staal has been awful against stamkos line and if u put anyone but Stepan and mcd-girardi out against johnson they dominate...

Tomorrow AV has to out coach his opponent and I honestly don't think he's done that once this post season

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Cooper scratched Drouin saying he wasn't playing a 2 way game well. That's how you coach. AV could learn something. You know MSL will be playing tomorrow. AV hoping that after 20 black roulette spins it finally spins red.

One is a rookie trying to break into the league on one of the deepest offenses in the NHL and the other is a veteran soon to be hall of famer. No comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia