Post-Game Talk: Tampa Bay Lightning at New York Rangers Game 2 (Series Tied 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
It's not so much the loss that bothers me, but rather the lacking of that killer instinct. Or looking content after winning Game 1. Great, they won Game 1. But they should come out even more hungry for Game 2 given they know Tampa will be more hungry after a loss. They need to match that hunger and in fact, exceed Tampa's hunger.

This is something that's constantly happening each and every postseason (They did go up 2-0 against Montreal last year if I remember correctly). It's like some sort of mental thing. It's like the guys walk into MSG yesterday and think, "Eh, we won Game 1. We don't need to win Game 2." It's dumb. Yeah great, you guys won the Presidents trophy. Yeah, great you guys were the best regular season team. But that means jack **** now. Who the hell cares? It doesn't give them the right to think they can lay back in a Game 2 after winning Game 1 of a series. I don't care if you're the #1 seed or the #8 seed who made it in on the last day by the skin of their teeth. Each and every playoff game should bring an intense level of hunger regardless of the result of the previous game. I don't care if you won 15-0 last game or lost 15-0 in the previous game. It should not effect the intensity the team brings.

Fact of the matter, Tampa looked more hungry last night. They were x10 sharper and more precise. The Rangers had their chances, but they didn't bury them. They had multiple mental mistakes and lapses (Looking at you MSL and Staal!). Brassard looked off last night. Lots of dumb penalties (Cough Kreider cough).

Look, obviously losing bothers me. But I also understand we will lose some and win others. I'm not going to live in some fantasy and think the Rangers will win each and every game. Losing a game because of not being as hungry as the opponent is what bothers me. In fact, it infuriates me.

Bottom line, I believe the Rangers will come out with a good level of hunger tomorrow night. But I'd bet a whole lot of money it's because they lost the last game and not because of the natural reason that they're playing a NHL playoff game and even more specifically, a NHL playoff game in the ECF.

I know we all hate the LA Kings, but they're a team who I believe have mastered the mental side of the game. They could allow a game tying goal with 5 seconds left in a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup and force the game into OT. It wouldn't rattle them. They could score that goal and force OT, but not feel that the game is theirs to win. They could win the first 3 games of a series and could outscore the other team 13-1 in the 3 games, but the past doesn't bother them. The Rangers could learn a thing or two from the Kings.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Last year they had that fighting spirit. They had Zucc, Stralman and Biron boy. Even MSL was great.

This year I can't find any of this.

The Rangers don't have a fighting spirit? :huh:

Psst...Teams don't win divisions, Presidents Trophy's or really anything without a "fighting spirit".

What about 9 straight one goal playoff games? Do teams that are weak figure out how to win those games?

What about teams that come back from down 3-1 in a series? Did the Rangers just do that or was that another team? Think about it, if they didn't have a fighting spirit they would've been out against Washington in 5 games. But they came back in that game and won in overtime....They held Washington off in game 6 and THAN CAME BACK and WON GAME 7......In overtime.....

Come back to me when you can figure out what you actually want to say because "lack of fighting spirit" isn't an actually a real issue with this team....I mean unless you are being sarcastic....Are you being sarcastic because if so I feel like an idiot...

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I know we all hate the LA Kings, but they're a team who I believe have mastered the mental side of the game. They could allow a game tying goal with 5 seconds left in a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup and force the game into OT. It wouldn't rattle them. They could score that goal and force OT, but not feel that the game is theirs to win. They could win the first 3 games of a series and could outscore the other team 13-1 in the 3 games, but the past doesn't bother them. The Rangers could learn a thing or two from the Kings.

Could we learn how to go down 0-3 in a series in the 1st round, come back and win four in a row, then go forward to eventually win a cup?

Wolfy*

Come back to me when you can figure out what you actually want to say because "lack of fighting spirit" isn't an actually a real issue with this team....I mean unless you are being sarcastic....Are you being sarcastic because if so I feel like an idiot...

I was talking about last night's game, should've pointed that out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The mental side of the game is overrated. This isn't chess.

Most comebacks are one team getting lucky or getting unsustainable goaltending for a few games, and then it stops.

See: Capitals vs Rangers, 2015 Metro Division Finals.

We didn't give up and that's cool, but that's about as far is it extends. The rest was Holtby going from a .970 to a human sv%.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
We need finishers. That's basically it.

can't get much more profound than this. it's been the case for far too long with this team. if this team fails to accomplish the final goal it will be because of this. it must be addressed going forward, or this will be an endless cycle of failure.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
We need finishers. That's basically it.

I didn't understand how the Rangers can go from being in the finals one year to winning the presidents trophy the next year to being swept in the first round this year. But after reading this thread, i can see it. HEADS MUST ROLL!!!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We had the 3rd best shooting % in the NHL over 82 games, and it dropped dramatically over these last 14 games.

How exactly does one address that? Are you suggesting that Sather addresses luck? That's my job. I do shrines. Sather makes us a better hockey team.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
can't get much more profound than this. it's been the case for far too long with this team. if this team fails to accomplish the final goal it will be because of this. it must be addressed going forward, or this will be an endless cycle of failure.

Joffrey Lupul is being wasted in Toronto. He's pretty good in the playoffs.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011

"...of playing the most playoff games in the NHL since 2012, making the Conference Finals 3 out of 4 years and reaching the finals." What a pathetic cycle of failure! Were you around for 1997-2004. No playoffs. Now that is a "cycle of failure". People need to enjoy this unprecedented ride the Rangers have taken us on. It is 1-1 in the Conference Finals!

Last edited:

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
The mental side of the game is overrated. This isn't chess.

Most comebacks are one team getting lucky or getting unsustainable goaltending for a few games, and then it stops.

See: Capitals vs Rangers, 2015 Metro Division Finals.

We didn't give up and that's cool, but that's about as far is it extends. The rest was Holtby going from a .970 to a human sv%.

Spot on.

The problem...you can fall behind a lesser team with a hot goalie and come back but it's much less likely against stronger team with a very solid goaltender.

Simply my comparison of Washington vs Tampa.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010

Given the cap and lack of draft choices, I fear any changes next year will prove to be somewhat minor in nature (maybe MSL goes and is replaced by a free agent?)

I suspect we will see this group remain somewhat intact for a few years before the window closes and a dismantling takes place.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
Spot on.

The problem...you can fall behind a lesser team with a hot goalie and come back but it's much less likely against stronger team with a very solid goaltender.

Simply my comparison of Washington vs Tampa.

I don't make predictions due to the jinx factor. But the Rangers will not lose both games in Tampa!

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
No, no and no again!!!

Why? He's basically a healthy version of Gaborik. His speed and shot would fit in perfectly with this team. I know people wanna **** on him for not being able to carry a porous Toronto team, but the guy is a very good goal scorer.

Also: he has 13 goals in 22 playoff agmes. Almost double Nash in less than half the games.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Genuine question, i generally see people call for Haggerty when talking about bringing people up. What's so special about him? Why is he the guy, in my eyes, that most people ask for? Just curious.
guy is raw, but does show scoring ability.

He wouldn't be the first choice, but the reason some might be mentioning is his name is from what he did in the pre-season for us.

Thanks for the demo, nevesis, but in addition to the occasional bust a move, as seen, he has a serious shot.

Well, you can't really take anything Brn says with any shred of credibility whatsoever. That said, Haggerty had a pretty impressive preseason and he's a shooter, which we definitely need.

I enjoy Jeff's posts too much :yo: to quibble about having made such an absolute disclaimer that I could not possibly ever be right :shakehead [due to lack of {"any shred of"} credibility :cry: in regards to any thing at any time {"whatsoever"} :help:, he then comes out and pretty much confirms what I said about Haggerty.:amazed::naughty::D:amazed:

Thanks Jeff!:laugh::rant:

Not that it's Hank's fault but at this point I wouldn't be against playing Talbot up 1-0 in the series just to try ANYTHING different. :laugh:
We should not try something different just for the sake of something different,
We should be confident in using Talbot FOR 1 FREAKIN GAME to both try and throw tb a curve, and more importantly, to give him rest so he will be fresh not only during what projects as a long series, but also the finals.

He's not exhausted. At all.
Disagree; he's played every minute of each game incl. OT.
Logic refutes you on this one, my friend.

And you called absolutely nothing.
If I had the real balls, not the artificial kind, to call it open print for all to see, then freakin, yes, I called it.

You actually couldn't have been further from accurate. You suggested playing Talbot NOT because you thought he'd play better than Hank, but because you thought the team was on a roll and we could afford to.
You misread/misunderstood what I said.
Yes, if we were gonna squeeze in a breather for our starter, this was the start to do it, and in that sense, due to being up 1-0, BBoyle out, Cally playin hurt, etc., this was the opportunity, yes, we could afford to.
But it was not that we do this for the sake of something different.
The constructive purpose of the move was:
a) gave Hank immediate rest/relief
b) have him fresh(er) for finals

Talbot would've been every bit as slaughtered or more, and regardless of how the team played last night it had nothing to do with your suggestion at all.

I am tempted to say you don't know that, but on the other hand, I would feel better about Talbot's SUPREMELY fast glove hand on two of those goals. Sure bottom line is no way to know if in the end would be better or worse.

Not one iota. You called nothing. And furthermore, the idea, even today, was still equally outrageous and nonsensical. So please, c'mon now...
Sorry, but I did call it, I was right (at least as to need to try and manage this rest game here) and you are responding this way cause you love Hank.

I like him too.
But the man is a man, not a machine, at any age.
You --- c'mon.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
guy is raw, but does show scoring ability.

I enjoy Jeff's posts too much :yo: to quibble about having made such an absolute disclaimer that I could not possibly ever be right :shakehead [due to lack of {"any shred of"} credibility :cry: in regards to any thing at any time {"whatsoever"} :help:, he then comes out and pretty much confirms what I said about Haggerty.:amazed::naughty::D:amazed:

Thanks Jeff!:laugh::rant:

We should not try something different just for the sake of something different,
We should be confident in using Talbot FOR 1 FREAKIN GAME to both try and throw tb a curve, and more importantly, to give him rest so he will be fresh not only during what projects as a long series, but also the finals.

Disagree; he's played every minute of each game incl. OT.
Logic refutes you on this one, my friend.

If I had the real balls, not the artificial kind, to call it open print for all to see, then freakin, yes, I called it.

You misread/misunderstood what I said.
Yes, if we were gonna squeeze in a breather for our starter, this was the start to do it, and in that sense, due to being up 1-0, BBoyle out, Cally playin hurt, etc., this was the opportunity, yes, we could afford to.
But it was not that we do this for the sake of something different.
The constructive purpose of the move was:
a) gave Hank immediate rest/relief
b) have him fresh(er) for finals

I am tempted to say you don't know that, but on the other hand, I would feel better about Talbot's SUPREMELY fast glove hand on two of those goals. Sure bottom line is no way to know if in the end would be better or worse.

Sorry, but I did call it, I was right (at least as to need to try and manage this rest game here) and you are responding this way cause you love Hank.

I like him too.
But the man is a man, not a machine, at any age.
You --- c'mon.

Love ya Bern. But you're the crazy old man of the forum. :laugh: There's value in being that guy.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Didn't Kessel score like 5 points in 30-40 regular season games this year or something ridiculous like that?

When Horachek took over and that team's scoring went utterly down the tube? What about the last 3 years where he put up 82, 54 (in 48 games) and 80 points? On questionable teams at best. Then there's his good looking playoff numbers, although the sample size is small.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Didn't Kessel score like 5 points in 30-40 regular season games this year or something ridiculous like that?

Not quite sure if it was 5 points in 30 games, but he laid a lot of 0s on the scoresheet since the new year. Also remember that one game where he was -4 and relegated to the 4th line vs. the Rangers back in February I believe.

8mil per until 2022 for a questionable player is a risk I hope the NYR don't take.

Nash's contract runs for 3 more seasons on the other hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad