Tallon’s time is up?

Should Tallon be fired?

• Total voters

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Matheson cost us games earlier this year and was a mess to start the year last year but still got a huge contract despite being inconsistent. Relevant to the Tallon fire thread, imo. I think Matheson has the tools to be good but not sure he has the IQ
But still he has been better the last couple. Ekblad has been consistently mediocre.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons why we have started slow. Bad schedule for sure contributes some. Even if we were winning it would be hard to carry momentum over. But goaltending by far has let us down the most. We have the worst or second worst save % in the league. You're not going to win games with our goaltending.

I've never been a Tallon fan. However, this team is still close to being good but there are two roadblocks in the lineup that have to get better or we're going to have issues taking a step forward. The biggest disappointments to me are Ekblad and Matheson. Two huge Tallon pieces that don't come close to contributing to how we need them to. That's supposed to be a top pairing guy and a #4 at a minimum. When you consider both of their contracts together, they're a disaster. Those are two first round picks that look like relative failures and Matheson was signed way too early. Absolutely no reason to give Matheson that contract.

I can't believe people are still complaining about the offseason after we made the playoffs. We had PDO on our side and it's even more obvious now that mattered. We also had excellent goaltending. That entire core is still here and the forwards are even better.

One thing Tallon hasn't done well is add enough grit to the bottom 6 or D. I was only able to see portions of the game today and like many other, the other team plays more chippy than we do. They're hacking away, initiating after the whistle, going hard after our best players. We don't do that enough. We're easy to play against.
Those mistakes are exactly enough for me to say “you’re fired!” to DT.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons why we have started slow. Bad schedule for sure contributes some. Even if we were winning it would be hard to carry momentum over. But goaltending by far has let us down the most. We have the worst or second worst save % in the league. You're not going to win games with our goaltending.

I've never been a Tallon fan. However, this team is still close to being good but there are two roadblocks in the lineup that have to get better or we're going to have issues taking a step forward. The biggest disappointments to me are Ekblad and Matheson. Two huge Tallon pieces that don't come close to contributing to how we need them to. That's supposed to be a top pairing guy and a #4 at a minimum. When you consider both of their contracts together, they're a disaster. Those are two first round picks that look like relative failures and Matheson was signed way too early. Absolutely no reason to give Matheson that contract.

I can't believe people are still complaining about the offseason after we made the playoffs. We had PDO on our side and it's even more obvious now that mattered. We also had excellent goaltending. That entire core is still here and the forwards are even better.

One thing Tallon hasn't done well is add enough grit to the bottom 6 or D. I was only able to see portions of the game today and like many other, the other team plays more chippy than we do. They're hacking away, initiating after the whistle, going hard after our best players. We don't do that enough. We're easy to play against.
I'm missing Haley and I'm not even kidding. Sure he was crap as a player and his staged fights were completely useless on their own, but it seems he somehow inspired the rest of the group to stand up for each other. Because there was a "tough team" attitude last year and it's not there this year. I don't think you can put all of it on missing Luongo and being disheartened by the mess in net.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Couldn't agree with this more. This team plays so passively, it's probably why even with pdo on our side we don't really pass the eye test. Other teams just look better than we do and have more hustle, energy, urgency, intensity.

I wonder if that suspension to matheson plus the problems with haley have to do with it because this team isn't that different from last year. Or maybe losing vets like mack, mcginn, haley had more of an impact than we think.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I'm missing Haley and I'm not even kidding. Sure he was crap as a player and his staged fights were completely useless on their own, but it seems he somehow inspired the rest of the group to stand up for each other. Because there was a "tough team" attitude last year and it's not there this year. I don't think you can put all of it on missing Luongo and being disheartened by the mess in net.

I love Haley and I don't care who knows it. Sometimes you just need to break up a boring, low energy game with a good old fashioned hockey fight.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I think one of the ironies will be that Tallon's gonna get fired with the team playing the exact way Joyce and Weirer would have wanted.

But when he get fired he doesnt get fired for what they play on the Ice. he gets fired for his work he did off the Ice and the work he didn´t did and hurt the Team.
But all that is speculation and i wouldn´t be surprised if the fireing, doesnt even happen or on some else Point. But all that belongs to how the team look till end of the Season and the Result in the End.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
We’ll have to win the division for Dale to get fired. That’s how these screwballs operate. I think it’s a Westpoint thing. Build it up to knock it down.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
My main beef with Tallon is probably the fact he always hangs onto his guys. His draft picks. The only one that got traded was gudbranson but was that even him? He’d never trade Ekblad or huberdeau or anyone like that. No matter what, it seems.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
My main beef with Tallon is probably the fact he always hangs onto his guys. His draft picks. The only one that got traded was gudbranson but was that even him? He’d never trade Ekblad or huberdeau or anyone like that. No matter what, it seems.
I don't think you could move either of them straight up without taking back salary. All part of the Joyce era of what looked to be rolling the dice on two guys, one of which had no reasonable history to be paid that kind of money other than he was an overall #1 in a weak draft and the other based on two decent years paired with Barkov.

Guds was and is a guy who applies the big hits and intimidates period. He was a Joyce trade supposedly signed off on by Tallon. He is a terrible defender and useless offensively except to make a decent first pass and only on an occasion when he has his thinking cap on. His whole career has been one injury after another due to his style of play and lack of durability. He is due to have a year where he doesn't get hurt, so the Canuck's might actually get half their money's worth on that absurd contract he has. :)

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think you could move either of them straight up without taking back salary. All part of the Joyce era of what looked to be rolling the dice on two guys, one of which had no reasonable history to be paid that kind of money other than he was an overall #1 in a weak draft and the other based on two decent years paired with Barkov.

Guds was and is a guy who applies the big hits and intimidates period. He was a Joyce trade supposedly signed off on by Tallon. He is a terrible defender and useless offensively except to make a decent first pass and only on an occasion when he has his thinking cap on. His whole career has been one injury after another due to his style of play and lack of durability. He is due to have a year where he doesn't get hurt, so the Canuck's might actually get half their money's worth on that absurd contract he has. :)
This is so dumb. There would be tons of teams interested in Huberdeau. The lack of respect he gets around here is bizarre.

Anod

Aug 12, 2007
Toronto, ON
No kidding. A high end playmaker that can score 25 and on. A great contract. Quick let’s trade him. There’s no room for good players in this team
It's crazy! With the exception of his sophomore slump and injury year, he has only improved on his career highs every year! And this year he has 10 in 11 games, on pace to break it again even though he hasn't played at his best. His contact is well worth it, any team would love to have his talent on their team.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Fan A: B...bu....but Barkov feeds Huberdeau all his points.....

Fan B: Huberdeau doesn't play with Barkov anymore

Fan A: b..bu...but he bobbles the puck or has a muffin for a shot....

Fan B: Huberdeau has 74 goals, 218pts in his last 279 games. (Since the 2014-15 year) or the last 3.5 years.

Fan A: but he's slow and likes poutine...

Fan B: Poutines are amazing....

Fan A: ....ya, they really are amazing. I guess Muffin Man is pretty good

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It's crazy! With the exception of his sophomore slump and injury year, he has only improved on his career highs every year! And this year he has 10 in 11 games, on pace to break it again even though he hasn't played at his best. His contact is well worth it, any team would love to have his talent on their team.
Sometimes people pickup a dislike for a player early on for whatever reason. And it can filter all of their viewings through that.

Reactions: I am not exposed

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah, Huberdeau is not a problem. It's fun to poke fun at the deficiencies in his game from time to time, but he is a productive player with a good contract.

Reactions: I am not exposed

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Huberdeau is definitely traceable and should garner a solid top-4 defender or a winger of similar ilk. Ekblad, despite the contract, is definitely moveable too imo. He has name recognition and that makes him appear better than he is.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Huberdeau is definitely traceable and should garner a solid top-4 defender or a winger of similar ilk. Ekblad, despite the contract, is definitely moveable too imo. He has name recognition and that makes him appear better than he is.
Why would we trade him for a top 4 d-man? That's a poor return. A winger is a lateral move at best. Panarin is going to cost a fortune to sign.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Why would we trade him for a top 4 d-man? That's a poor return. A winger is a lateral move at best. Panarin is going to cost a fortune to sign.
Well I wouldn’t expect to get a top pairing D for him, nor a high end center. When I say top-4 I mean closer to a #3. So either trade offense for defense, or a lateral move but a winger of a different style, or for picks and prospects (if we signed panarin in the offseason). I wouldn’t do anything now.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Fighting is so barbaric. It has no place in today’s game. What they should do instead is stop play, have a couple of tough players go to the box and solve some world issues and give them both trophies. :sarcasm:

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad