Tallon’s time is up?

Should Tallon be fired?

• Total voters

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The Hoffman trade a was very good one but he took too big of a gamble in net by not trying to at least pickup a better backup to Luongo to start the season. Mcelhinney would've been a smart addition to at least take over Reimer's duties.Very few hockey clubs can be competitive with the type of goaltending performances the Panthers are getting, and it does not matter who your coach is when dealing with such a dilemma. Goaltending is the most important position in hockey and if you are weak there then you'll need some damn good goal scorers and shot blockers to come to the rescue.

I feel like the pieces are there at the top of the depth chart but you have to be able to get something from the depth guys as well. The 3rd and 4th lines are really lacking on offense and its not like the Panthers have an elite few guys they can rely on every night a la the Avs or Penguins.

Reimer has had way too long a leash but I'm sorry, expecting a middling 1b/backup to become the worst goalie in the league is a bit unfair.

People around here shit on Reimer all the time but no one foresaw this.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Hoffman trade a was very good one but he took too big of a gamble in net by not trying to at least pickup a better backup to Luongo to start the season. Mcelhinney would've been a smart addition to at least take over Reimer's duties.Very few hockey clubs can be competitive with the type of goaltending performances the Panthers are getting, and it does not matter who your coach is when dealing with such a dilemma. Goaltending is the most important position in hockey and if you are weak there then you'll need some damn good goal scorers and shot blockers to come to the rescue.

I feel like the pieces are there at the top of the depth chart but you have to be able to get something from the depth guys as well. The 3rd and 4th lines are really lacking on offense and its not like the Panthers have an elite few guys they can rely on every night a la the Avs or Penguins.

Depth scoring should get better with Borgstrom, Tippett and possibly Heponiemi on their way. With a fair bit of cap space upcoming this year, the main priorities for Tallon (possible new GM if we don't make playoffs) are a goalie and a top 4 RD.
Think about if re-signing both Hoffman and Dadonov works long term but otherwise Dale needs to address two main areas, we should be mortgaging some 1sts for a trade or be ready to open the wallet to fill those two needs.
Barkov, Trocheck and Huberdeau all need new deals within 4-5 years, the time is now to go for it.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reimer has had way too long a leash but I'm sorry, expecting a middling 1b/backup to become the worst goalie in the league is a bit unfair.

People around here **** on Reimer all the time but no one foresaw this.

That's true. I guess I personally saw some of the holes last year and with the fragility of Luongo, we know that Reimer would probably be playing way more than your average backup goaltender. Tallon did try to hedge his bets by getting Hutchinson, who I guess he saw potential in.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If doughty was realistically available I’d definitely go all in.

Ekblad + 1st + Borgstrom/Tippett + an additional piece like vatrano or bjugstad if necessary

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
If doughty was realistically available I’d definitely go all in.

Ekblad + 1st + Borgstrom/Tippett + an additional piece like vatrano or bjugstad if necessary

So you willed to pay 11 Million every Year for the next 8? On a single Defender? Ekblad 7,5 looks already crazy right now, but 11 Million on a 29year old till 2026 thats real crazy.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
So you willed to pay 11 Million every Year for the next 8? On a single Defender? Ekblad 7,5 looks already crazy right now, but 11 Million on a 29year old till 2026 thats real crazy.
It’s really not becuase Doughty is a superstar and one of the best in the league.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think the most important move that needs to happen is Bobrovsky becoming a Panther, either at the deadline or in the offseason. Bobrovsky, and a decent middle pairing Dman, and this team is much better off. Ideally, Reimer is moved, and Lou stays as a backup to Bobrovsky, but one way or the other, that move needs to be made. Add him, and a decent middle pairing Dman, and this team is ready to go.

Reactions: Aksu

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Florida taxes baby, Doughty needs 11 million in LA, not here.

This is also why some wanted a Dman at the TDL last season. McDonagh would be looking good now with Yandle on the 1st pair, and let Ek and MM figure it out against lesser competition.

We need better balance in the top four.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I think the most important move that needs to happen is Bobrovsky becoming a Panther, either at the deadline or in the offseason. Bobrovsky, and a decent middle pairing Dman, and this team is much better off. Ideally, Reimer is moved, and Lou stays as a backup to Bobrovsky, but one way or the other, that move needs to be made. Add him, and a decent middle pairing Dman, and this team is ready to go.

I'm concerned about his playoff ability. He doesn't have an extensive playoff resume, but in his limited time there...he's kind of sucked. Maybe you can point to the teams he's been on, but you'd think a two-time Vezina winner could carry a team for a couple rounds one year, it's been done by lesser goalies.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I'm concerned about his playoff ability. He doesn't have an extensive playoff resume, but in his limited time there...he's kind of sucked. Maybe you can point to the teams he's been on, but you'd think a two-time Vezina winner could carry a team for a couple rounds one year, it's been done by lesser goalies.

As am I, but what other options do we have? Going another season with a Luongo/Reimer tandem is absolutely out of the question, and Monty is probably not ready to take on a 1b role. A Bob/Lou tandem gives us our best chance to win, and eventually, Monty can slide in to that back up role once Lou retires.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

At least they lost to the Cup Champions in those seasons. No excuse, but its something.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Varlamov is the only other UFA I would be interested in. Jimmy Howard is not a ufa solution (having a nice year so full credit to him but hes not good).

If Lu doesnt retire I think Ryan Miller could be a cheap bandaid next year too, but I believe due to his wife he is California or retire.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
As am I, but what other options do we have? Going another season with a Luongo/Reimer tandem is absolutely out of the question, and Monty is probably not ready to take on a 1b role. A Bob/Lou tandem gives us our best chance to win, and eventually, Monty can slide in to that back up role once Lou retires.

I just don't want to put down $8M++ of cap space for a few years on a goalie who may never be a good playoff goalie and who might be on the back nine of his career. We don't need Vezina-caliber goaltending to reach the playoffs.

Reactions: I am not exposed

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Varlamov is the only other UFA I would be interested in. Jimmy Howard is not a ufa solution (having a nice year so full credit to him but hes not good).

If Lu doesnt retire I think Ryan Miller could be a cheap bandaid next year too, but I believe due to his wife he is California or retire.
I do like Varlamov and he's having a much better year than Bobrovsky. Normally that doesn't have to mean much, but with the change in goalie equipment I'm kinda wary of anyone who's having a bad year. Still a lot of season left so we'll see.
The problem with Howard is that he's injury prone. Generally when healthy, he's pretty good... then he gets injured, comes back and sucks really bad for a while. Healthy again, plays well, gets hurt, rinse and repeat.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
we could either trade for one of these backups whos newer to the game/havent made much of a name for themselves but theyre having promising seasons. or we can chase a quick/jones/talbot, or chase a ufa like bob/varlamov, or a more wellknown backup like dell. but they cant throw big money at someone if they still have luongo next year. either he retires or goes on ltir with a *wink-wink* type injury for the rest of his contract. dumping reimer i think is possible, especially if we retain. but we gotta do something in net. luongo is serviceable as a backup, but not if we throw 8mil at bob. if we have a cheaper option he could stay as a backup for his final season (probably).

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I don’t think any ones in a rush to trade him (maybe some?), but if we’re talking about doughty then yes all day.
If Ekblad were underperforming and we had a clear near-contender team then sure, you could consider such a blockbuster.

But Ekblad has a substantially cheaper contract with variable rates running some years at 6 mil and some at 9 (and no nobody in Florida gives a hoot about cap hit). Doughty is mostly 11.
For a team that already can’t afford a 1D, that Ekblad contract is perfect.
Also, Doughty is peaking and will be making an absurd amount of money for someone his age in a few years.

And Ekblad is 22. Twenty. Two.

Sure Doughty is better. But that’s an awful move for this franchise.

Reactions: vendetta and KW

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
It’s really not becuase Doughty is a superstar and one of the best in the league.

But look at Chicago and Toronto; Edmonton. When 2 Players eat around 15-25% of your Cap its hard to Build a Balanced Team. Toronto, Edmonton lack of Defense. Chicago gets to old, miss G and Depth.

So we have already and ekblad Contract and Yandle Contract. So eat another 11 Million Contract doesnt allow us to sign a Goalie with bigger Paycheck or must pass on one of our Forwards. when the next re-sign Time comes up.

For those who wrote the Interview from Torontos GM, he is not afraid of Oversheets on Matthews cause he has the right Answer to all. When you see how much problem there Defense give them, then i hope we get the better answer then Toronto have it.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Fans gonna fan is the only logical explanation. He’s our best dman now and future by a large margin. His game is going thru a transition and it’s coming out on the other side looking real good lately.

He only gets better lately, cause he doesnt play over aggresive offensive Game and play a bit better lately in the own Zone.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If Ekblad were underperforming and we had a clear near-contender team then sure, you could consider such a blockbuster.

But Ekblad has a substantially cheaper contract with variable rates running some years at 6 mil and some at 9 (and no nobody in Florida gives a hoot about cap hit). Doughty is mostly 11.
For a team that already can’t afford a 1D, that Ekblad contract is perfect.
Also, Doughty is peaking and will be making an absurd amount of money for someone his age in a few years.

And Ekblad is 22. Twenty. Two.

Sure Doughty is better. But that’s an awful move for this franchise.
Cap hits don’t change. Ekblad is 7.5 every season. The salary he earns from the team can vary but the cap hit remains. Doughty remains too.
And doughty is a top-3, usually top-2 d every season. The difference between him and Ekblad is wide enough to warrant the difference in salary and cap. And he was obviously going to get signed to that contract. If we had him would you not support extending him to that amount?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad