Tallon’s time is up?

Should Tallon be fired?

• Total voters

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
So fans are clamouring for any move just for the sake of trying something. Even tho that has
Been proven over time to rarely work.
Doesn’t matter this is disgraceful and heads should roll. This is not a once in a while thing. This is a consistent garbage run franchise.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So fans are clamouring for any move just for the sake of trying something. Even tho that has
Been proven over time to rarely work.
What the...?

Mike Sullivan and the 2016 Penguins don’t count?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
At this point does it really matter what the fans that are left want?
Not really. I actually hope the team moves. Would be nice to get some support for the team
In important games. Anyone who knows anything knows it’s much better and easier to get energy when the building is alive. Fans act like they are owed something. Fans aren’t owed shit. The team should be relocated to a place that actually likes the sport of hockey and will support their team not just in winning times. Oh well it’s not viable for owners to keep the team where it is so it will be moved eventually and fans can blame themselves

Reactions: Rahooji

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Not really. I actually hope the team moves. Would be nice to get some support for the team
In important games. Anyone who knows anything knows it’s much better and easier to get energy when the building is alive. Fans act like they are owed something. Fans aren’t owed ****. The team should be relocated to a place that actually likes the sport of hockey and will support their team not just in winning times. Oh well it’s not viable for owners to keep the team where it is so it will be moved eventually and fans can blame themselves

Agreed. They haven’t been supported properly since the 90’s. I can’t believe they have stuck it out as long as they have.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
In important games. Anyone who knows anything knows it’s much better and easier to get energy when the building is alive. Fans act like they are owed something. Fans aren’t owed ****. The team should be relocated to a place that actually likes the sport of hockey and will support their team not just in winning times. Oh well it’s not viable for owners to keep the team where it is so it will be moved eventually and fans can blame themselves
Not really fans can blame this god awful management. No franchise would support this mediocrity. None. This team has NEVER been good. Fans have tried their best to support this team but this team has never been close to winning anything since 96.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Not really fans can blame this god awful management. No franchise would support this mediocrity. None. This team has NEVER been good.
It’s a privelage to have an nhl team. I live in Edmonton. They suck year after year. The building is packed. People love hockey. I make it to almost half their home games and I don’t cheer for them. I make it
To probably 5-6 panthers games all over the place in a year. Cause I like hockey. If the people can’t go cause they enjoy the sport and only want to support a winner than they can suffer not having anything to go to at all. Like I said the team and owners owe the fan base nothing. It’s a privelage

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It’s a privelage to have an nhl team. I live in Edmonton. They suck year after year. The building is packed. People love hockey. I make it to almost half their home games and I don’t cheer for them. I make it
To probably 5-6 panthers games all over the place in a year. Cause I like hockey. If the people can’t go cause they enjoy the sport and only want to support a winner than they can suffer not having anything to go to at all. Like I said the team and owners owe the fan base nothing. It’s a privelage
Edmonton has history. We don’t. Not comparable. They also have the best player in the game. You’re acting like people are not showing becuase they missed the playoffs 2x. This franchise has missed 20x in 25 years. In a format that 16/30 make it. That is pathetic and disgusting

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Edmonton has history. We don’t. Not comparable. They also have the best player in the game. You’re acting like people are not showing becuase they missed the playoffs 2x. This franchise has missed 20x in 25 years. In a format that 16/30 make it. That is pathetic and disgusting

It is pretty hard to miss as many times as this team has. It hasn’t been for lack of trying though in the last few years. They just can’t seem to put it all together. As bad as it feels for us right now, imagine how Flyers Fans must feel with the underachievers they have. They have great fan support too.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

Your right. It is a privilege. It gets to a point where losing gets old though. Imagine having one movie theater in town that only played Attack of the killer tomatoes every day and night for 25 years. It gets old.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

It's a two way street. You can't expect owners to spend and support an NHL team with no fans. But your also can't expect fans to support a losing team through two decades.

I think the fans of this team and the surrounding area have provided more than their fair share of support for this team both financially and emotionally. How many times have panther owners screwed this thing up? At what point are fans allowed to get fed up before you stop blaming them?

I guarantee you put this same franchise with the same history in any city and you don't get the same fan support. Heck Chicago had nobody going to games before their revival. Pittsburgh almost folded. Even hockey towns like Detroit and Toronto see drop offs when they're bad. The thing is they don't stay bad for 20 years.

The fact is, this is not a natural hockey market. If the team wants to bring in fans they have to play well. Fans aren't born fans, they become fans though positive experiences. If you're in Edmonton, your family may be a fan because the older generation got to live through Gretzky, then there was the cup run in early 2000s, then the kids become fans.

What can the Panthers point to? The good will from the 96 cup run is running really thin. There won't be another generation of fans if the team doesn't do well. You can't blame fans for not supporting them.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@vendetta easy to say when its not you paying a couple grand a year.

Though, when you're talking to people that do pay through the losing, hard to say we dont deserve anything for our investment...or at least it should be hard to say.

Reactions: PSLguy

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
And the fans only come around when they win. It’s the definition of fairweather fans. Oh well I have no skin in this game. I am a fan of the team and if they move I will continue to be a fan and still go to as many games as I can if they win or lose.
And it costs me a lot more to go to 5 or so games than a couple thousand dollars

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
You guys are missing the point. It doesn’t matter if they win or
Lose. Just be happy u have an nhl team to o watch. There’s only 31 cities in the world that can boast that. Go because u love the sport of hockey. Otherwise the majority isn’t better than any typical bandwagon fan that only wants to go when
It’s good. Or else lose your team and u won’t have the option of going at all.
But I’m sick of everyone acting entitled saying they don’t deserve fans. That’s bs. It’s a privelage to be able to go

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
You guys are missing the point. It doesn’t matter if they win or
Lose. Just be happy u have an nhl team to o watch. There’s only 31 cities in the world that can boast that. Go because u love the sport of hockey. Otherwise the majority isn’t better than any typical bandwagon fan that only wants to go when
It’s good. Or else lose your team and u won’t have the option of going at all.
But I’m sick of everyone acting entitled saying they don’t deserve fans. That’s bs. It’s a privelage to be able to go

I actually think you're the one missing the point.

Hockey is a great sport, but it is relatively new to South Florida. In Edmonton and other cold weather places it has had over 100 years to grow and kids get to play in the winter at the local rinks. It's embedded into the culture in Canada. If there's a large enough population centre, chances are there will be a large enough base to support a team even when they suck.

Your can't expect the same inherent support in South Florida, that just isn't fair. That's like dropping a cricket team in Edmonton and expecting instant fans. The interest in the sport needs to be cultivated over time and part of that is having a winning team because winning is fun.

If you really think that all fans that go watch a hockey game are there because they just like hockey then you are delusional. Doesn't matter which city. Most fans as you like to always say, are clueless. If you think most of us here are clueless then I'd hate to know what you think about the average fan. Most fans regardless of city are bandwagon fans.

They are there for there for entertainment and to go out for fun. The minority are people like us who are actually hockey fans. I'd bet a lot of money that a majority of people who go to a hockey game don't even know that John Gibson is one of the best goalies or that Rantanen is running away with the scoring lead.

Bottom line is this team needs to win to bring in fans who then become attached to the team and sport.

Last edited:

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
It's a two way street. You can't expect owners to spend and support an NHL team with no fans. But your also can't expect fans to support a losing team through two decades.

I think the fans of this team and the surrounding area have provided more than their fair share of support for this team both financially and emotionally. How many times have panther owners screwed this thing up? At what point are fans allowed to get fed up before you stop blaming them?

I guarantee you put this same franchise with the same history in any city and you don't get the same fan support. Heck Chicago had nobody going to games before their revival. Pittsburgh almost folded. Even hockey towns like Detroit and Toronto see drop offs when they're bad. The thing is they don't stay bad for 20 years.

The fact is, this is not a natural hockey market. If the team wants to bring in fans they have to play well. Fans aren't born fans, they become fans though positive experiences. If you're in Edmonton, your family may be a fan because the older generation got to live through Gretzky, then there was the cup run in early 2000s, then the kids become fans.

What can the Panthers point to? The good will from the 96 cup run is running really thin. There won't be another generation of fans if the team doesn't do well. You can't blame fans for not supporting them.

This is correct.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
If Tallon isn't working the phones constantly to get a new goalie and get rid of reimer then he isn't doing his job. In that case we need to bring in a GM that will actually perform the duties for which they are handsomely compensated.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
And the fans only come around when they win. It’s the definition of fairweather fans. Oh well I have no skin in this game. I am a fan of the team and if they move I will continue to be a fan and still go to as many games as I can if they win or lose.
And it costs me a lot more to go to 5 or so games than a couple thousand dollars
I will be too. I’m just saying that’s the reality of this situation. Even the original 6 team with massive sellouts Chicago is losing fans and it’s been less than 2 years.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Hockey in Canada is an obsession similar to Dallas Cowboys fans. Doesn't matter if the team sucks, hasn't won in decades or the GM is a buffoon. Fans will spend good money to go watch games. There's the 70's, 90's teams that fans, fathers or grandfathers watched and swore was the best team they ever seen. HoF players etc.

There is no history down here. A good amount of hockey fans down here either root for their parents team or their former home team(Rangers, Islanders, Maple Leafs, Montreal etc) and there is no reason to convert to the local team. They only show up to watch their #1 team for dirt cheap.

We don't demand a stanley cup team to go out and watch. But in order to actually win more fans/keep fans the team needs to establish some type of legacy other than being a joke. Make the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, or back to back years.
Win a series, create some excitement. Something. Tired of reading about potential and prospects that play 1 or two levels below what they were supposed to be.
And that's all the team does. We draft somewhat high, overrate the prospect, said prospect doesn't live up to hype and then the cycle is repeated.

I get owners don't want to be deep in the red, but if they want fans to spend money they can't put out a mediocre product. We've seen that product for years now. Hell, this year I can't blame the owners in that they have actually spent a lot of cap this year.

If Tallon is going to sit on his hands hoping this turns around soon or next year is the year certain players make the jump and "they are the answer", then I'll continue to do something else other than watch the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->