Tallon’s time is up?

Should Tallon be fired?

• Total voters

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Cap hits don’t change. Ekblad is 7.5 every season. The salary he earns from the team can vary but the cap hit remains. Doughty remains too.
And doughty is a top-3, usually top-2 d every season. The difference between him and Ekblad is wide enough to warrant the difference in salary and cap. And he was obviously going to get signed to that contract. If we had him would you not support extending him to that amount?
I never said cap hits change? I said cap hit doesn’t matter to the Florida Panthers. Because it doesn’t. Florida seldom, if ever, approaches the cap ceiling. Florida *never* has long term cap issues, because we can’t commit long term money if the team finances can’t keep up with those salaries. Total team salary is what the Florida Panthers will always care about, until the time where the culture of the fanbase (for whatever reason) changes and games start selling out.

Everything left on Doughty’s contract is $11 million per year. Ekblad is owed a varying dollar amount, which flips at $6 and $9 million every year.

If you’re set on thinking that this isn’t important, you missed the Tallon fiasco where he felt like he had to give up Marchessault in order to offload Reilly Smith’s contract that the team could not afford.

Also, Aaron Ekblad is 22.

I can’t point that out enough.

You want Drew Doughty on unfavorable finances for this franchise where he won’t make a difference immediately (we clearly are not Cup contenders). You’ll get Drew Doughty and by the time we fix the rest of the defense and account for the salary we will probably have to shed for acquiring Doughty, Doughty will be on the decline and still making $11 million per year.

And again, that’s not even to say Drew Doughty will be bad at that point! But it’s also not crazy to think Aaron Ekblad will be... I dunno... just as good at 26 as Doughty will be at 33?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I never said cap hits change? I said cap hit doesn’t matter to the Florida Panthers. Because it doesn’t. Florida seldom, if ever, approaches the cap ceiling. Florida *never* has long term cap issues, because we can’t commit long term money if the team finances can’t keep up with those salaries. Total team salary is what the Florida Panthers will always care about, until the time where the culture of the fanbase (for whatever reason) changes and games start selling out.

Everything left on Doughty’s contract is $11 million per year. Ekblad is owed a varying dollar amount, which flips at $6 and $9 million every year.

If you’re set on thinking that this isn’t important, you missed the Tallon fiasco where he felt like he had to give up Marchessault in order to offload Reilly Smith’s contract that the team could not afford.

Also, Aaron Ekblad is 22.

I can’t point that out enough.

You want Drew Doughty on unfavorable finances for this franchise where he won’t make a difference immediately (we clearly are not Cup contenders). You’ll get Drew Doughty and by the time we fix the rest of the defense and account for the salary we will probably have to shed for acquiring Doughty, Doughty will be on the decline and still making $11 million per year.

And again, that’s not even to say Drew Doughty will be bad at that point! But it’s also not crazy to think Aaron Ekblad will be... I dunno... just as good at 26 as Doughty will be at 33?
Very well said.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Fire Tallon

1. Has done nothing to improve this team while it was somehow treading water while close to a playoff spot
2. Went all in on an aging, often injured goalie, signed Hutch which has been zero help
3. Refuses to call up Monty when he might be what we need in net, a zero risk move, only upside
4. Extended Matheson when it was totally unnecessary to hand out a huge contract to a totally unproven player who wasn't even an RFA
5. Horrible expansion draft, protected guys like Petrovic, Bjugstad, and Psysyk over March and Smith. Terrible asset management.
6. Team isn't winning
7. Average at best drafting, looks better than it is because of multiple high picks, imo
8. Didn't fire Luce/kept him around too long
9. Bolland contract
10. Didn't foresee shift to a speed and skill game in the NHL early enough, imo, favored size, grit and character over skill (Crouse)
11. Never fixed our depth issue at forward
12. Doesn't take risks to trade prospects for proven talent
13. Drafted too many forwards and ignored needs on defense and in goal

Fire Tallon!

Anything else?
Month later #13 looks even more damning

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
We were struggling from game one and he waited mid-december to make even the tiniest changes. At this point, the season is done.
Either Tallon is unwilling to make any moves and needs to go, or the ownership doesn't let him make any moves because they don't trust him, in which case he needs to go as well.
Vinnie to his credit has made an effort of honoring guys who have made their mark in whatever profession they chose. Tallon by default or luck was credited with building the Hawks. Sure he was a part of some of it but mostly the team hit on some very important highly drafted HOF players at the right time. Most owners wouldn't have put up with him more than 5 years other than Viola. It's not just hockey folks, it's guys like Huizinga and VFW military guys. Bill Torrey is still a treasure to many people including Viola. Viola gave him full honors and deservedly so.

Tallon has proven over and over again that he can set off a dozen IED's and Vince will do what he can to save his integrity. Hopefully once Tro returns he will have shaken off the bad ju ju that has plagued him since the start of the season. He was trying too hard to be the distributing center we all would like and still score. The problem is Vince is a pure scoring Center who will get his share of assists but will never be the guy Mr. Boo tried to mold him into this season.

So here we sit right back at square one with Barky leading the league Forwards in TOI. I said before old habits are hard to shake and Boo keeps going back to the well..........and well........ he has a Captain who looks completely drained and frustrated. This is all in the name of Boo trying to win (can't blame him for that). He is however trying to run a system that doesn't fit the players. Square peg in a round hole.

They may still make a run but my guess is they will end up in the 70's point wise and the guy who has been their glue since he came back has finally run into father time. Hat's off to Lu for making them a much better team than they actually were. :)

So to answer your question.........yeah Viola doesn't trust him anymore with anything other than small potatoes.

Reactions: Multigrain and KW

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

Typical BS excuses. Go glance over at the Gudbranson thread on the Canucks board Dan Spiegel.

This team sucks from head to toe. Forwards suck, defense is pathetic, goaltending is terrible, coaching is a joke, Tallon is a clown. This whole organization needs to blown to hell.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Typical BS excuses. Go glance over at the Gudbranson thread on the Canucks board Dan Spiegel.

This team sucks from head to toe. Forwards suck, defense is pathetic, goaltending is terrible, coaching is a joke, Tallon is a clown. This whole organization needs to blown to hell.

You're not implying that we shouldn't trust the process!? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Kid Icarus

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Just like he says In thread some
People
Have reading comprehension problems.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018

I think we have a solid group of talent just managed improperly. Yes coaching is a joke. IMO as we see in all professional sports, coaching has a massive influence on how the team performs. I am not looking anywhere but coaching.Not only Tallon but the GM's Viola brought in. I have heard 0 fault going toward whether they play a huge factor in all of this....

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
This team needs a trade badly. No I’m not talking about a 3rd line D-man either. Needs to be a move for 2nd line scoring and involve multiple players. Even if you are simply swapping a spade for a spade at least it shakes up your culture. When your systems are not working you have to evaluate and possibly trade. Its not that hard. Look at Pittsburgh they did it early and are much better for it.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I can't believe no moves were made 1-2 months ago. If anything was done now it would be too late. We just gotta ride out this season out. It's clear management has given up too.

Thing is.. Firing Tallon. I'm more scared who our owner would hire. We need a hockey mind. I fear they'll hire someone just because of there military status

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
blow this team up. At this point I think we've all had enough. People were like "oh just wait for Lou to come back and settle the team down"...yeah sure.. we're a brutal team, anyone watching the games could see even with terrible goalkeeping we still have massive wholes and let teams take control of us when we take leads. We have talent but not exactly the talent to take us to the next level. Barkov is a great player but not a leader, he has the personality of a pine nut just like Bouwmeester. We should keep Barkov, Tro, Eklbad and perhaps Huby. Everyone else can go. Even then, I would not be opposed to trading Huby or Ek. Build a legit D core and get a legit goalie.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I can't believe no moves were made 1-2 months ago. If anything was done now it would be too late. We just gotta ride out this season out. It's clear management has given up too.

Thing is.. Firing Tallon. I'm more scared who our owner would hire. We need a hockey mind. I fear they'll hire someone just because of there military status

Agreed, I don't have faith that ownership will be able to find a competent enough person. Plus, I don't think anyone really saw this coming, so if they made a move now, it would likely be a rushed and incomplete process.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

It can’t be any worse than it is now.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Agreed, I don't have faith that ownership will be able to find a competent enough person. Plus, I don't think anyone really saw this coming, so if they made a move now, it would likely be a rushed and incomplete process.
At least this means no Chiarelli

Reactions: CHGoalie27

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If Tallon is still around I could him taking a punt on Talbot in the offseason. Assuming the Oilers don't re-sign him. Tallon was keen on him a few seasons ago, and with our goaltending woes, it wouldn't surprise me if they went down this route.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Before anyone from the original six snowbelt chimes in with negativity, obviously TBL is proof that Florida can have a top hockey team.

Hey owners - look over there for guidance on how to do it right. It’s free advice, you can study their history without having to hire anyone to interpret it for you. And then use a similar model of competent people: scouting, GM, coaching.

After that it’ll all fall in place. You’ll make money during the season and increase the value of the franchise. That’s your primary goal, isn’t it? You need to realize that your financial success and the team’s on-ice success are absolutely linked with correlation coefficient approaching 1.000.

Yours,
A long time unhappy Panther fan

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Before anyone from the original six snowbelt chimes in with negativity, obviously TBL is proof that Florida can have a top hockey team.

Hey owners - look over there for guidance on how to do it right. It’s free advice, you can study their history without having to hire anyone to interpret it for you. And then use a similar model of competent people: scouting, GM, coaching.

After that it’ll all fall in place. You’ll make money during the season and increase the value of the franchise. That’s your primary goal, isn’t it? You need to realize that your financial success and the team’s on-ice success are absolutely linked with correlation coefficient approaching 1.000.

Yours,
A long time unhappy Panther fan
So all they need to do is be the best scouting/developing team in the league, find a great GM and a great coach.

That's some great insight right there, I'm sure the Panthers, nor any other team knew about that secret formula!!!

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
So all they need to do is be the best scouting/developing team in the league, find a great GM and a great coach.

That's some great insight right there, I'm sure the Panthers, nor any other team knew about that secret formula!!!

The others also need to get out of the way and let the hockey people do hockey things.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida

They'll probably promote Pronger and hope he'll be like Yzerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad