Sportsnet: Talking Calder last night.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Could really go either way. Matthews hasn't separated himself the way I thought he would when Laine went down.

If the season ended today Laine would have as much a claim on the award as Matthews imo.

The narrative has been that Laine needs to separate himself in scoring to win over Matthews. As it stands now, even Pronman - who is probably Laine's biggest supporter among voters - has said it's Matthews right now.

Personally, I think Werenski might just have the best case.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Still lots of time but as of now it has to be Matthews.

27th in the league in points.
Tied for 4th in goals
1st in even strength goals
245th in ice time/game (92nd among forwards)

Leading his team in goals, points and games played all at the age of 19 and being a centre.

He is also among the league leaders in "first goal of the game" getting the Leafs off to an early lead.

Also "road goals" as well as ES 5v5 goals in the NHL. Scoring on the road is key to team success as the other team has last change so the opposition dictates the matchups both line and D pairing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
*Right now* for me

Matthews
Werenski
Laine

Although Nylander is making a late charge for the top 3. Marner has gone a little cold.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I have two other potential stats to put in Matthew's favor but i can only offer those after the season is done.

Barring a bad end to the season or Laine going nuts it is Matthews' trophy to lose.

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
The narrative has been that Laine needs to separate himself in scoring to win over Matthews. As it stands now, even Pronman - who is probably Laine's biggest supporter among voters - has said it's Matthews right now.

Personally, I think Werenski might just have the best case.

It has, but they have identical scoring production and Laine has played 7 less games. I realize there are other factors to consider and intangibles are at play, but I just think Laine has a strong case and could still pull it out.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Nylander I think has arguably been the best rookie in the 2nd half of the season, but it likely will be Matthews

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Matthews is leading the rookie scoring race, and is the best player on a team going from worst to playoffs.

he's a shoo in at the moment.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Anyone know if Matthews is leading the Leafs in PP time for centers?

I know Bozak has played a lot on the first PP unit, but Mathews seems to be playing on the first unit now.

Where do I find these stats?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
All things looking equal you have to go Matthews over Laine.

Any hockey guy that knows his stuff will appreciate how much more difficult it is to play C as a rookie over playing on the wing.

Laine just doesn't have as much to do or be responsible for out there.

He has had such a fantastic rookie campaign that it is a real coin toss though. Scoring goals isn't easy either and he has scored them every which way you can ask for.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Anyone know if Matthews is leading the Leafs in PP time for centers?

I know Bozak has played a lot on the first PP unit, but Mathews seems to be playing on the first unit now.

Where do I find these stats?

nhl.com - statistics - players - and select the "time on ice" report.

Matthews does lead at 2:28. JVR is tied with Marner at 2:23,, Boz 2:21, Willie 2:20, Kadri 2:10 and uncle Leo 2:01. League leading forwards are at 3:48.

Edit: It would might make sense for AM, MM, and Nylander to be getting more pp time next year except they are already 2nd best in the league. However I guess it does it show that they can absorb the loss of JVR and Boz on the pp just by increasing the icetime for the big 3 and Brown.

Last edited:

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Laine seems to be the favourite at the moment.

I've noticed this recently too and I don't get it. Laine has more points per game but I would argue Matthews is a better defensive player, a center and leading his team to the playoffs. I can't be bothered looking it up but I'm guessing Matthews has more even strength points and Laine more PP. Not to mention his line mates!!! I really think it should be Matthews by a good margin.

I do love Laine though..

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
If laine was so great the jets would have a better power play, because he would be quarterback for at least 1 unit. He'd also be helping to lead his team( Emphasis on leading) into a playoff spot.

All I see is a guy taking advantage of the space shiefele creates to abuse his elite 1 timer.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
If laine was so great the jets would have a better power play, because he would be quarterback for at least 1 unit. He'd also be helping to lead his team( Emphasis on leading) into a playoff spot.

All I see is a guy taking advantage of the space shiefele creates to abuse his elite 1 timer.

Been saying that all year. Laine is purely one dimensional and has fed off of his line mates. Matthews although not considered as much as a shooter has shown that he is and what sets him apart is the ability to hunt down the puck, work hard defensively to regain possession and end up with scoring chances. He also plays a much more difficult position. Don't think it's based on who ends up with the most goals or points. I'm sure the voters look at what else the individual brings to the table as far as overall game. Matthews all round game is easily superior to Laine's and that should be the decider.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Matthews is leading the rookie scoring race, and is the best player on a team going from worst to playoffs.

he's a shoo in at the moment.

The PHWA is the group that selects that so they are going to be a bit more knowledgeable than typical fans, and with less of the weird TO hate that you see a lot of on these boards. Even so, while I think Matthews will get a bit of credit for playing the tougher position if Laine hits 40 and AM doesn't, I think Laine will get it. While the line mate thing seems obvious to some people others will say, and rightly so, that Laine's incredible shooting is the big driver of his success and that Ehlers and Scheifele are not what makes him what he is.

Being ahead in goals, and leading his club to a playoff berth, I agree he is probably the obvious pick today, but he has to stay that way. Laine had 6 shots against the Devils last night and is due for a breakout. At the absolute minimum Matthews needs to stay ahead in points since he has been spotted 9 games. That is a big enough number voters will start to look hard at ppg.

Also its not beyond the realm of possibility that AM finishes 2nd or even 3rd in rookie points on the Leafs. It doesn't make him a worse player but that would diminish his star a bit. Its going to be close. Exciting times to be a Canadian fan.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Been saying that all year. Laine is purely one dimensional and has fed off of his line mates. Matthews although not considered as much as a shooter has shown that he is and what sets him apart is the ability to hunt down the puck, work hard defensively to regain possession and end up with scoring chances. He also plays a much more difficult position. Don't think it's based on who ends up with the most goals or points. I'm sure the voters look at what else the individual brings to the table as far as overall game. Matthews all round game is easily superior to Laine's and that should be the decider.
Correct. There's nothing wrong with a Patrik Laine, every team in the league would love to have a sharpshooter like him. He will be one of the league's elite goal scorers for years to come, but his skillset simply is not as complete as Auston's, nor is his season as impressive.

The PHWA is the group that selects that so they are going to be a bit more knowledgeable than typical fans, and with less of the weird TO hate that you see a lot of on these boards. Even so, while I think Matthews will get a bit of credit for playing the tougher position if Laine hits 40 and AM doesn't, I think Laine will get it. While the line mate thing seems obvious to some people others will say, and rightly so, that Laine's incredible shooting is the big driver of his success and that Ehlers and Scheifele are not what makes him what he is.

Being ahead in goals, and leading his club to a playoff berth, I agree he is probably the obvious pick today, but he has to stay that way. Laine had 6 shots against the Devils last night and is due for a breakout. At the absolute minimum Matthews needs to stay ahead in points since he has been spotted 9 games. That is a big enough number voters will start to look hard at ppg.

Also its not beyond the realm of possibility that AM finishes 2nd or even 3rd in rookie points on the Leafs. It doesn't make him a worse player but that would diminish his star a bit. Its going to be close. Exciting times to be a Canadian fan.
RNH scored as many points as Landeskog in 20 less games in their rookie seasons and didn't win the Calder. Voters don't historically reward players for missing time.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada

Laine's shot definitely is the driver to his success but he doesn't score highlight reel goals from fancy dekes, dangling etc. if Scheifele doesn't get him the puck he aint getting the quality scoring chances so the shot doesn't mean anything. Matthews has better hands and has scored goals because of that. I haven't seen too many Laine goals where he's undressed the defensemen etc. Like I said laine is purely one dimensional. Other than the shot I don't think theres anything Laine does better.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
It's a great year for rookies. Aside from AM and Laine, Werenski has a great case as the top scoring Dman on a team that has gone from doormat to contender. And then there's Matt Murray who backstopped the Penguins to a Stanley Cup and now is greatly outperforming Fleury in the nets for a top contender for another Cup. That is Ken Dryden country. And Marner and Nylander would be clear winners in a lot of seasons. Almost unbelievable!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Matthews is superior multi dimensional player to most in the league let alone rookies. He is third in even strength 5v5 in the entire league. His adv stats are high ranking in numerous categories. Matthews skillset including his strength and drive is a laundry list of elite. The kid is off the chart good in every way. Wait until he gets stronger/ quicker and better conditioned as a pro. He stands alone for the calder imo.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Most years, if we had Zaitsev, Brown, Hyman and Sosh as rookies, by themselves, without the big three, we would be boasting to everyone who would listen what a great rookie group we have.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Most years, if we had Zaitsev, Brown, Hyman and Sosh as rookies, by themselves, without the big three, we would be boasting to everyone who would listen what a great rookie group we have.

To be fair though, we'd also be one of the worst teams in the League without the Big Three, so we'd likely be grasping at any positives we could find at that point...

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Top Rookie Scoring Is Amazing From Our Young Guns

#1 Matthews
#3 Nylander
#4 Marner
#11 Brown
#12 Zaitsev
#18 Hyman
#58 Soshnikov

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
I've recently learned that because Laine is not a center, he's leading the way for the Calder. Also because he's younger and the only big guy in the NHL that knows how to stick handle.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be fair though, we'd also be one of the worst teams in the League without the Big Three, so we'd likely be grasping at any positives we could find at that point...

Tanking our way to success. ;)

The strategy of finishing low and drafting high is how we got here. No denying that !!!

Following the Pens and Hawks path to success now.

Tank Nation's boy Matthews is the #1 candidate for the Calder and now the All-time Leafs rookie goal leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad