Sportsnet: Talking Calder last night.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Yeah I should've included the caveat of timing being since the 94-95 season.

Either way he leads every rookie since that 94-95 season in even strength goals now, he has passed Ovechkin and Crosby.

Honestly the NHL has changed so much over the years though that it's hard to compare two sets of numbers that are so many years apart. It's like comparing pitching numbers in baseball from today to the 1920s lol. Even back when Crosby and Ovi first came into the league it's somewhat hard to compare numbers. How many goals would Matthews have had if he played that year with obstruction and interference being called so much? Maybe he'd be closer 50 goals now. Hell, maybe he'd be closer to 50 today if he had a more skilled guy on his wing than Hyman.

87 and 8 definitely had an amazing rookie season but it makes me think a little when people say things like Matthews rookie season isn't in the same tier at Crosby and Ovi's, especially when you look at the league leaders for that year because it only takes a glance at the totals to realize scoring today isn't quite what it was back then.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Playing the toughest position and in the toughest market and excelling I think Mathews is the clear winner. His all around game is impressive.

Very impressive. The entire rookie group is impressive. This group was right in there for wins in as many games as the the elite teams full of veterans. The poise and consistency is all that is lacking before they are themselves a elite team. Just looking at regulation losses alone shows that they managed to this point to have the 6th least losses in the league. Only the Caps,penguins, Columbus's have fewer losses. Thats not a good rookie team, thats a excellent rookie team that should be even better next year. I hope we win all kinds of awards. Babs might finally get coach of the year too. He deserves it.

When they tidy up closing out games and shootouts/overtimrs look out league.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Honestly the NHL has changed so much over the years though that it's hard to compare two sets of numbers that are so many years apart. It's like comparing pitching numbers in baseball from today to the 1920s lol. Even back when Crosby and Ovi first came into the league it's somewhat hard to compare numbers. How many goals would Matthews have had if he played that year with obstruction and interference being called so much? Maybe he'd be closer 50 goals now. Hell, maybe he'd be closer to 50 today if he had a more skilled guy on his wing than Hyman.

87 and 8 definitely had an amazing rookie season but it makes me think a little when people say things like Matthews rookie season isn't in the same tier at Crosby and Ovi's, especially when you look at the league leaders for that year because it only takes a glance at the totals to realize scoring today isn't quite what it was back then.

Compare what comparable :)

Even strength points all rookiea since 05-06

Crosby 53
Panarin 53
Ovi 51
Stone 50
Laine 48
Boyes 47
Stastny 46
Mackinnon 46
Malkin 45
Matthews 45

So matthews can definatly still jump some spots :) Would be cool if Laine could end on a tear aswell beating out ovi just one 4 point game again :(

Anyways this will make you scream like a little girl of excitement :)

Top 10 even strength goals

Matthews 30
Ovi 28
Grabner 26
Hoffman 26
Laine 25
Skinner 25
Crosby 23
Coutoure 22
Panarin 22
Svatos 20

Matthews at the top of the list baby!

Again hope Laine manages to jump a few places aswell :)

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I am genuinely convinced that if you put Matthews with Marner and a winger who can score even at an average level, Marner and Matthews would score 90-100 points every season. That's in his ROOKIE SEASON. FFS.

Maybe a big body to go to the corners when needed and also be able to finish feeds from the other two. If only we had a forward like that.:sarcasm:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Compare what comparable :)

Even strength points all rookiea since 05-06

Crosby 53
Panarin 53
Ovi 51
Stone 50
Laine 48
Boyes 47
Stastny 46
Mackinnon 46
Malkin 45
Matthews 45

So matthews can definatly still jump some spots :) Would be cool if Laine could end on a tear aswell beating out ovi just one 4 point game again :(

Anyways this will make you scream like a little girl of excitement :)

Top 10 even strength goals

Matthews 30
Ovi 28
Grabner 26
Hoffman 26
Laine 25
Skinner 25
Crosby 23
Coutoure 22
Panarin 22
Svatos 20

Matthews at the top of the list baby!

Again hope Laine manages to jump a few places aswell :)

Add another even strength goal tonight. He will win the calder by a significantly large margine now that he has pulled away from Mitch. The vote splitting concern is gone now. I hope mitch and willy both pass laine in points though. Then i can go bump my early season thread that said tgey could possibly end up 1 2,3 in scoring. :D

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Said this earlier but this will go down as the biggest landslide Calder win in a long time.

What a run here by Matthews down the stretch.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Our superstar already has more goals in a season than guys like Tavares, Kopitar, Toews, Tarasenko, Kessel etc have ever had. What a player.

Edit: Needs one more to tie Tarasenko's high.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Our superstar already has more goals in a season than guys like Tavares, Kopitar, Toews, Tarasenko, Kessel etc have ever had. What a player.

Points wise it has already been explained, but I cannot genuinely fathom how it's such a stretch to think of calling him generational.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
Very impressive. The entire rookie group is impressive. This group was right in there for wins in as many games as the the elite teams full of veterans. The poise and consistency is all that is lacking before they are themselves a elite team. Just looking at regulation losses alone shows that they managed to this point to have the 6th least losses in the league. Only the Caps,penguins, Columbus's have fewer losses. Thats not a good rookie team, thats a excellent rookie team that should be even better next year. I hope we win all kinds of awards. Babs might finally get coach of the year too. He deserves it.

When they tidy up closing out games and shootouts/overtimrs look out league.

I agree with everything you say here as far as projections goes but...

OT points earned are still games lost.

They've played 78 games and won 39

They're a .500 hockey club, I love them and this is the most exciting Leafs team in over 2 decades (maybe even most of our lifetimes) but let's not skew the records to make it seem like they win that many more games than they lose.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I agree with everything you say here as far as projections goes but...

OT points earned are still games lost.

They've played 78 games and won 39

They're a .500 hockey club, I love them and this is the most exciting Leafs team in over 2 decades (maybe even most of our lifetimes) but let's not skew the records to make it seem like they win that many more games than they lose.

They aren't .500. They have played 9 shootouts.

What do you think is a better indicator of Leafs record? Skills competition or actual play on ice?

Leafs are 38-31 in hockey games, 1-8 in shootouts. Would you feel any more comfortable in the Leafs games if we won 2-3 more shootouts?

They do win more games than they lose when a game is actually played to decide the winner and not the shootout.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
Fair enough but the rules are the same for everybody. 78 games played and 39 wins does equate to a .500 winning percentage any way you want to slice it.

Edit:
For the record, I hate the shootout

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Fair enough but the rules are the same for everybody. 78 games played and 39 wins does equate to a .500 winning percentage any way you want to slice it.

Edit:
For the record, I hate the shootout

Only during the regular season, not the playoffs.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
We can't say that Matthews is a lock to win the Calder until after we see the playoffs wrap up because Murray is still considered a rookie (stupid technicality). If the Penguins win again, you'd have to imagine that Matt edges Matthews for the Calder. I don't like that but we need to keep that mind before saying Matthews wins in a landslide. Auston deserves it in my mind.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
We can't say that Matthews is a lock to win the Calder until after we see the playoffs wrap up because Murray is still considered a rookie (stupid technicality). If the Penguins win again, you'd have to imagine that Matt edges Matthews for the Calder. I don't like that but we need to keep that mind before saying Matthews wins in a landslide. Auston deserves it in my mind.

Votes are made before the playoffs, I believe

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

Playoffs don't count.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Awesome Matthews has the Calder all but wrapped up now with his goals in 5 straight games distancing himself for Laine.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No word of a lie. if Mitch + Will overtake Laine - would our kiddos go 1-2-3 in Rookie voting?
I think the Leafs will hold their own vs. Washington. Just get a point though in this . Go for the win, obviously but secure a point.

If Werenski gets to 50 points he will definitely be in the mix. Even without 50 he'll still likely finish 3rd in voting.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
If Werenski gets to 50 points he will definitely be in the mix. Even without 50 he'll still likely finish 3rd in voting.

Werenski has 1 point in his last 8 GP, and no points in his last 6. He is also injured now so I don't like the odds of him hitting 50.

Either way he has had a beast of a season and deserves Calder consideration.

I would personally rank it:

Matthews

Werenski

Nylander/Laine
Marner

If Mitch didn't miss those games and then get sick when he came back, he could've challenged for #2/#3 spot. Too bad.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Will be funny to see if Laine gets second - especially since arguably other players (ie Nylander) have been better for the last quarter season.

Werenski has really quoted down too. Matthews looking to be a near lock, especially if he crosses that 40 goal threshold

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As someone who actually likes Kessel, I can't believe that in one season Matthews will do something Kessel was unable to do his whole time here.

At present both Matthews and Kessel in 78 games have 67 points, but Matthews (+17 goals) leads Kessel 39 goals to only 22. Kessel's never scored 39 goals in a single season yet.

It amazing that at only 19 years old in his first year he is already matching Kessel's @ 29 years old offense (from the high scoring Pens).

The Calder is his and his outstanding rookie season is likely exceeding all management expectations.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Leafs have 3 rookies with at least 60 pts. Only two other teams even have 3 players with 60 pts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad