Sportsnet: Talking Calder last night.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Leafs hate and bias was disgusting, Friedman included. They unanimously at sportsnet pick Laine. B.S. I call. McLean likes anyone not Leafs and Darren Mallard was fine.

So anyways, this is not even close to all Laine like they are promoting.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Laine seems to be the favourite at the moment.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
The Leafs hate and bias was disgusting, Friedman included. They unanimously at sportsnet pick Laine. B.S. I call. McLean likes anyone not Leafs and Darren Mallard was fine.

Laine has scored more GWG, more goals and more points?

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Hockey Central they all picked Werenski. They change their mind all the time because the race is always changing. Doug even made a joke about it last night saying, "Auston Matthews. My Calder pick" which had Elliotte giggling.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Werenski actually is the standout performer at the moment.

Matthews has been far far better than Laine, dsspite the similar point totals.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Laine seems to be the favourite at the moment.
Laine is scoring at a 0.02PPG rate higher than Matthews despite playing a much easier position in the league. He's hardly the "favourite" at this point. Werenski is having a start to his career that is unheard of. Was going to just ignore this thread but oh well :sarcasm:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Werenski actually is the standout performer at the moment.

Matthews has been far far better than Laine, dsspite the similar point totals.

Werenski and its not even close ATM. Like not even close.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Laine 18 points in 22 games
Matthews 16 points in 20 games
Marner 16 points in 20 games
Nylander 15 points in 20 games
Werenski 15 points in 18 games

Don't look now, but Matthews is 2nd in rookie scoring with 16 points, with 2 less games played. For all the talk of his big slump, he looks to be in a decent place.

I expect Werenski to slow down just as Vesey and Konecny already have.

I think Matthews and Marner will be the most sustainable in producing points. Matthews is too good to get into another slump like that, and Marner keeps producing so many chances every game. I think Laine may have a hard time adjusting once opponents begin to focus on him more. He's already kinda in a slump of his own now, too.

My rookie scoring prediction:

Matthews
Marner
Laine
Nylander

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Laine is scoring at a 0.02PPG rate higher than Matthews despite playing a much easier position in the league. He's hardly the "favourite" at this point. Werenski is having a start to his career that is unheard of. Was going to just ignore this thread but oh well :sarcasm:

Thank you. Laine has one goal in the last 8 games too. Not hearing much in the way that he is in a slump is there? Laine has played 2 more games and is 2 points ahead of Mitch and Auston also. He isn't running away with anything. Media of all types continues to discredit itself like clock work.

Everything on advanced stats likely would indicate Matthews is far superior at most parts of the game too. Matthews and Marner are the 2 players i would want if i could only have 2 of the 3. So when sportsnet does everything to sway calder votes and opinion away from our rookies, i will care less if one of our players win it.

Sportsnet can go ound sand.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Seems to me like he's the favourite, doesn't mean he's the best or most deserving.

Unlike many others I haven't seen him or any of the others play extensively.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Thank you. Laine has one goal in the last 8 games too. Not hearing much in the way that he is in a slump is there? Laine has played 2 more games and is 2 points ahead of Mitch and Auston also. He isn't running away with anything. Media of all types continues to discredit itself like clock work.

Everything on advanced stats likely would indicate Matthews is far superior at most parts of the game too. Matthews and Marner are the 2 players i would want if i could only have 2 of the 3. So when sportsnet does everything to sway calder votes and opinion away from our rookies, i will care less if one of our players win it.

Sportsnet can go ound sand.

The media are idiots about this crap. Werenski is running away with it so far. If he keeps up this pace he should win hands down. If he gets 60pts on the season and Mathews gets 85, it still should go to Werenski.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
At the end of the day, I don't care who wins the Calder. Laine is definitely ahead right now based on his two hattricks but I have no doubt Matthews will be the better pro when all is said and done. Even if he does win the Calder, and wins the Richard next year, I still take Matthews everyday of the week.

My recommendation is to be happy we have great young talent to build our team around, and don't pay much attention to Leafs bias/anti-bias.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Werenski is the clear frontrunner IMO. He's putting up the same kind of numbers and icetime Doughty did in his sophomore season (both 19 YO).

Matthews has hopefully blown his slump away and is going to get red hot, but if Werenski puts up 50+ points, Matthews will need a hell of a season to beat that. But who cares, it's just the Calder. Werenski's talent doesn't subtract from Matthews' talent at all. Bragging rights only matter on the trade board and when there's a cup attached.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Obviously a number of players who had (or should have) HOF careers have won the award, but certainly not all Calder winners have been that. For our eligible players, I want them to go on to have lengthy and productive careers. If the Calder is part of that for one of them, that's a bonus.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hate how Leafs fans are so quick to call out "anti-leaf biases"

Why not. Marner has been the best rookie and they had him third. Werenski is the one i would have at the top if anyone. Its special what he has managed to do so far and i wouldn't have a problemif he was to be the player they picked.

McLean is a bias voter so whats not clear about that right.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
It isn't April. Teams are about to tighten up. We'll see who has the last laugh.

Kessel almost beat Crosby too for the Smythe because the media talking heads love their precious goals.

But he didn't and all was as it should be in the end.

Laine is NOT the player Matthews is. He doesn't have the complete game Matthews does.

So who cares what the talking heads say.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

NHL Goal Leaders

1) Crosby .... 14
2) Laine ..... 12
2) OV ......... 12

NHL Rookie scoring leaders

1) Laine ....... 18
2) Matthews .. 16
2) Marner ...... 16

The panel simply picked the leader at the moment and Laine has 2 X hattricks already.

My money is on Matthews before this done.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
NHL Goal Leaders

1) Crosby .... 14
2) Laine ..... 12
2) OV ......... 12

NHL Rookie scorers

1) Laine ....... 18
2) Matthews .. 16
2) Marner ...... 16

The panel simply picked the leader at the moment.

My money is on Matthews before this done.

It still should be Werenski. A D's points per game should be factored 1.5x or at least 1.3x for this competition.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It still should be Werenski. A D's points per game should be factored 1.5x or at least 1.3x for this competition.

I agree Werenski has been the best rookie so far as he plays defense and has been just as productive offensively as forwards.

However based on the first 20 games I thought the panel had the top 3 right at the present time, because the Calder voting often comes down to most points.

Matthew's big game put him back in the mix again and conversation, as playing centre at 19 is 2nd best to Werenski playing D, while wingers always have it easier to put up points and both Laine and Marner are playing with experienced vets.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Maybe matthews will teach the skeptics to trust the advanced stats.

because he crushes laine in the advanced stats.

crushes.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
At the end of the day, I don't care who wins the Calder. Laine is definitely ahead right now based on his two hattricks but I have no doubt Matthews will be the better pro when all is said and done. Even if he does win the Calder, and wins the Richard next year, I still take Matthews everyday of the week.

My recommendation is to be happy we have great young talent to build our team around, and don't pay much attention to Leafs bias/anti-bias.

So true that we can enjoy the best rookie talent most us us have probably ever seen! Marner is a top 15 right winger in the league scoring and Matthews is at 16th for centers overall, not just rookies scoring. Nylander is the best skater of the three and likely has every bit as much zing on his shot as Matthews if not better.

I'm good with that if they all get snubbed on the Calder for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad