Player Discussion Tage Thompson 2

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
You can bet that Cozens knows his eligibility situation and will do everything possible to make the big club. Management will see it as a pat on the back if he makes it to the show next season with a monster D+1 and camp. Just sayin

Testarific

Oct 9, 2019
I don't think another year in the WHL helps Cozens that much. He's already tearing it up and with a player of his size, he's just going to walk the league as his skills start to catch up...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
https://www.amerks.com/article/AMERICANS MADE | TAGE THOMPSON
AMERICANS MADE | TAGE THOMPSON

Brian Duff is back with the season-long video series that takes a closer look at the development and performance of the top Buffalo Sabres prospects in Rochester.
The first episode of the season takes an in-depth look at forward Tage Thompson, who has totaled 22 points (13+9) over his last 23 games with the Amerks dating back to last season, including the two goals he scored in the first round of the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs against the Toronto Marlies. More impressively, Thompson has scored 11 goals in just 20 career regular-season games with Rochester, easily surpassing the total he set over a 30-game stint with San Antonio during his rookie season in 2017-18. The third-year pro leads the team and is tied for 14th among the AHL’s top point-getters with 11 points and is tied for the team lead in goals (5) through his first 12 games of the season. He also leads the league with 53 shots on goal.

Reactions: sabremike

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I mentioned this in another thread and will paraphrase here. Last season, the common opinion was that Tage was in the NHL because Botts wanted to show some return for big trade. The most common opinion I heard was that he belonged in the AHL and that his development was being harmed by playing in the NHL. He needed big time minutes in all situations.

He's played 8 games lat the end of last season and 13 this year . He's played well. After those 21 AHL games over 2 seasons - he's a point a game guy including 12 goals.

Marinate, Slow Cook, Dry Age him were common expressions I remember reading. Now I'm hearing that all we really needed to do was microwave him. While this does not surprise me, I think the move to assign him to Roch was overdue - and was the right decision. The desire to rush him back to the NHL after 21 games is not consistent with the development that so many board members advocated for last season.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I mentioned this in another thread and will paraphrase here. Last season, the common opinion was that Tage was in the NHL because Botts wanted to show some return for big trade. The most common opinion I heard was that he belonged in the AHL and that his development was being harmed by playing in the NHL. He needed big time minutes in all situations.

He's played 8 games lat the end of last season and 13 this year . He's played well. After those 21 AHL games over 2 seasons - he's a point a game guy including 12 goals.

Marinate, Slow Cook, Dry Age him were common expressions I remember reading. Now I'm hearing that all we really needed to do was microwave him. While this does not surprise me, I think the move to assign him to Roch was overdue - and was the right decision. The desire to rush him back to the NHL after 21 games is not consistent with the development that so many board members advocated for last season.
Problem is players don't have timers so we won't know when he's ready. Only one way to find out.

Slow cooking won't hurt though.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

I prefer to trust my eyeballs. If a player has AHL eligibility and he's not playing well in the NHL send him down. If he's playing well in the AHL, call him up. If he continues to play well, keep him up. If not, send him back down and work on where he needs improvement. If using cooking analogies; when I grill steak I'll take off it off the grill when it looks done. If it's not, I'll pop it right back on. When baking a cake, use the toothpick test. If you stick a toothpick in the center and the batter is wet when you pull it out, the cake goes back in the oven.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I prefer to trust my eyeballs. If a player has AHL eligibility and he's not playing well in the NHL send him down. If he's playing well in the AHL, call him up. If he continues to play well, keep him up. If not, send him back down and work on where he needs improvement. If using cooking analogies; when I grill steak I'll take off it off the grill when it looks done. If it's not, I'll pop it right back on. When baking a cake, use the toothpick test. If you stick a toothpick in the center and the batter is wet when you pull it out, the cake goes back in the oven.

I've been on record in the past as absolutely hating the cooking analogies relative to player development. I used them in this case to play off the fact that I hate them and to see how others react to them. Basically - they suck as analogies.

That said - either he needs time to develop in the A or not. If he needs to develop - then develop him and allow him to fully develop. A hot streak does not imply developmental success and promoting or demoting based on whether or not the player is playing well at whatever level can lead to problems that are based around psychology rather than ability. He needs to work through adversity, enjoy success and learn from situations. Warranted or not, he's already played over 100 NHL games - so to move him up or down based on a hot streak or cold streak will do nothing than F his head up, IMO

Focusing on this year alone, I don't think that 13 games offers enough of an opportunity to say he is fully developed and again for the NHL. Has he worked his way through a slump? Has he faced the second or third time against an opponent where they know to focus on him?. Has he suffered the loss of a key line mate? Has he been on the PK and the PP enough to determine where he excels? Has he learned a move other that the toe drag? Has he fared well against physical play? Has he defined the extent to which he can play physically given his size? How's his passing, his defensive play, his transitions and neutral zone play been?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
You never want to flip a burger more than once.

There don't seem to be a ton of successful players that have a lot of movement up and down between the big league and minors

Reactions: Samsonite23

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I've been on record in the past as absolutely hating the cooking analogies relative to player development. I used them in this case to play off the fact that I hate them and to see how others react to them. Basically - they suck as analogies.

That said - either he needs time to develop in the A or not. If he needs to develop - then develop him and allow him to fully develop. A hot streak does not imply developmental success and promoting or demoting based on whether or not the player is playing well at whatever level can lead to problems that are based around psychology rather than ability. He needs to work through adversity, enjoy success and learn from situations. Warranted or not, he's already played over 100 NHL games - so to move him up or down based on a hot streak or cold streak will do nothing than F his head up, IMO

Focusing on this year alone, I don't think that 13 games offers enough of an opportunity to say he is fully developed and again for the NHL. Has he worked his way through a slump? Has he faced the second or third time against an opponent where they know to focus on him?. Has he suffered the loss of a key line mate? Has he been on the PK and the PP enough to determine where he excels? Has he learned a move other that the toe drag? Has he fared well against physical play? Has he defined the extent to which he can play physically given his size? How's his passing, his defensive play, his transitions and neutral zone play been?

I agree. I didn't mind him playing in Buffalo last season to see where he was at. There was nothing to lose team-wise. He wasn't ready. So Botterill went out and got cheap stop-gap (Vesey) to give Thompson time in Rochester. He's doing great stat-wise, but his problems in the NHL were defensive play and on-ice awareness. How much he's improving with that isn't exactly going to show up in the stat line, so we shouldn't be clamoring for a call-up just because of his Gs and As. Sobotka going down should probably mean Lazar gets a call-up, not Thompson.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

Would the Gordon Ramsay approach be:
Take it off the grill and check (call up)
If not good, yell and throw at wall (give away)?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Here’s how you cook some nice chinese pork:
Marinate, grill, boil, rest, put in the oven, grill again.

I think we’re still in the marinating step with Tage after forgetting him in the sun for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad